RC Qualifier

Smile Good News!-Venom pack explosion!

And yes, it is good news, because the pack had 90 cycles on it and was no longer really holding a charge. I e-mailed customer support, and they are sending me a brand new $90 pack free of charge. I know it isnt the best pack out there, but hey, it's free!

Venom may go kaboom, but they give replacements, no questions asked. Perhaps it had to do with me threatening to never buy from them again, and post my BAD experience in every forum I know.
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Champion
    when you get it sell it and buy a real battery pack!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I might... good idea!
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

you can not use "explosion" and "kaboom" in the same thread without posting pictures
    infowars.com

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan85
    you can not use "explosion" and "kaboom" in the same thread without posting pictures
    i second that!!!!!!!!

RC Champion
    should i buy a new battery pack, ther hav been about 5 threads on venoms goinin BOOM in the last month.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman101
    should i buy a new battery pack, ther hav been about 5 threads on venoms goinin BOOM in the last month.
    you probebly should buy a new pack beacuse if it explodes and your standing by it might do some damage to you

RC Champion
    wat bout 2 the car, ther was a tread tht said one exploded in a guys hand and he was fine.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

Wow another venom explosion in a brushless rustler, same story over and over.

Stick packs have no place in a brushless rc!!!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Never had any problem with my Venom maybe its not the best battery ever but I will always go Venom before I would go MaxAmps.
    The Few! The Proud! The Marines!

RC Champion
    most people think that they are bad becuase someone elses exploded probally due to improper use or abuse and everyone who reads the thread gets brainwashed! LOL

my venom pack is way better then my SPC 4600 battery, it last's longer, goes faster and ive had two SPC batts in the time i have had the one venom 4600 nimh battery.
    vxlpede
    wkcrawler
    minirio
    1/8nbuggy
    1/16vxl?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I went through 2 Maxamps batteries in two weeks a piece and I have had my Venom for 6 months and its still kicking it doesn't charge all the way up to 3600mAh but it has probably taken for a 100 cycles, and thats pretty good. So I give Venom +1!
    The Few! The Proud! The Marines!

RC Champion
    My VXL and my buddy's Novak 4.5 run OK on his Venom 3000s they get hotter than hades, but no probs yet.
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Qualifier
    Funny, I had a friend buy his first electric a few months ago, and instantly began complaining that it wasn't fast enough for him. That was with some cheap Venom packs, I think somewhere around 3Ah. When he bought a few Trinity Reference 5Ah packs shortly after, he immediately combined his two Venoms into a Frankenstein 6s2p pack to match the punch from the Trinitys. Now if I could just convince him to ditch his Tamiya battery connectors...

Not saying they're bad batteries (I know my anecdote isn't a perfect comparison due to different capacities; all else being the same, higher-capacity packs can generally give more current), but even as cheap as they are, they don't seem like great value for money.

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk
    I know one of them was mistreated, and in another few where by kids (12 and under I believe), and from experience, kids dont have patience and treat things perfect. But from the ones that do go up, everything has a dud. The vxl3s speed control, kawasaki recals, 3.3s going out. Think of everyone going out and buying, alot go to forums and post bad experiences over a dud or poor maitnance.
    NOBAMA '08 Welcome to the Greatest Dprsn.

I still don't believe stick packs were intended to be used on brushless system with high amp draw...I do however agree that venom is a decent battery I have had a couple 6cells for a while now and they work great, I don't run them on my vxl though.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519
    I still don't believe stick packs were intended to be used on brushless system with high amp draw...I do however agree that venom is a decent battery I have had a couple 6cells for a while now and they work great, I don't run them on my vxl though.

I totally agree with this point and think that a lot of people don't look at it that way.

I have 4 Venom packs, all 6 cells, that run perfectly in my XL-1 Stampedes and Rustlers. They also run well in the Rusty I have an XL-5 in with a S-600 motor from Tower. If the Venoms are used in smaller draw setups, I think they work fine and do thier job for the money. It's when people use them in brushless setups that problems start to arise and we hear about explosions and the like. I also attribute all the horror stories we hear about these to the Venoms being available EVERYWHERE and the people selling them aren't educated about the limitations of the batteries. That and the people buying them aren't trying to educate themselves about them either, most are just getting the cheapest battery the LHS has to get up and running. Granted, not all Venoms can be called "cheap" but for the most part, they are percived as cheap batteries.

Lumping all Venoms into the category of crummy batteries would hold true if they were only for brushless setups but when using them in lesser systems, I think they will last a long while and be plenty useful. My friends and relatives that I let run the non-brushless setups still have loads of fun with them and no damage has been done to the batteries or vehicles they are run in.

Keep the Venoms off brushless and you get a decent battery at a low price. Add them to a brushless system and you get too much draw, too much heat and then, ultimately, destruction of some type. But that will hold true for any less expensive battery regardless of brand that can't keep up with the demands of brushless systems.

Billy
    It SCREAMS like a cheerleader on helium!

I think Venom will hold up to a brushed system but a brushless system will eat them for lunch. From the prices I have seen they are no cheaper than other packs of much higher quality. I know I paid a lot more for the 4 Venom 4200mah packs we had way back when then I did for the SPC 4600 mah packs. I simply would not recommend a Venom nimh pack to anyone regardless if they were running brushed or brushless as there are better packs out there for the same or less money.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    My stock xl-5 killed a venom in less than 15 runs
    Mambafied Rustler
    "It grew up so fast"

RC Champion
    wat bout 2 the car, ther was a tread tht said one exploded in a guys hand and he was fine.
    That's what you call luck. Exploding pieces of chemical and metal are no joke.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^^^ No kidding man! When my intellect pack exploded it caught my rug on fire! Good thing I was home, otherwise the house could have burnt down!
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampedeboy
    most people think that they are bad becuase someone elses exploded probally due to improper use or abuse and everyone who reads the thread gets brainwashed! LOL

my venom pack is way better then my SPC 4600 battery, it last's longer, goes faster and ive had two SPC batts in the time i have had the one venom 4600 nimh battery.
    No offense, but I find that very hard to believe.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Qualifier
    With all the threads about SPC packs blowing up or just plain sucking I can see why you find that so hard to believe...
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    Is Venom gonna pay your hospital bills when an exploded pack injures you or burns your house down?