RC Enthusiast

Venom Smart Temp help!

I just bought a VST and thats about all the further I got. I'm new to nitro and only ran the 1st tank through my truck but wanted a temp gun and fail safe. Unfortunately me LHS only had the Venom for a failsafe. The directions suck on how to install it...actually there are none! So what slot do I plug it in to and where should I put the temp loop arount the head. I'm a pain but pics would be great! Also I have a 4910 2.5

RC Qualifier
    The Directions say to put the loop around the very base of the Head with the little red sensor 90-180 degrees from the exhasut header. Plug the throttle/brake servo into the Smart Temp box and then the STB in to your receiver in place of the throttle/brake servo. You may have to reverse your servo on your radio to make throttle throttle and brake brake. If you E mail Venom customer service you can and will e mail you the full directions. I bought one used with no directions and did just that. I can try to link it to this thread but I am not sure how to do that.

I might be able to e mail it to you I can't get it to post here.If you want P m me

Mr Twister
    Last edited by Mr Twister; 12-15-2008 at 12:07 PM.
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC Qualifier
    Sell it and wait for a failsafe and temp gun. Thy system is inconsistent. You will be trying to fight it all day long. Manufacturers read temps from the glow plug, while yours will be reading from the outside of the cooling head. I tried this system before and kept in on for a couple tries. I took it off and did it the old fashion way and things worked much better. The system is a great idea but its inconsistent and trying to do too many things at a time.
    I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning.

Yup +1 The Venom Smart Temp, had problems with 2 of them. Spent lot's of time with their tech over the phone, moved the sensor to many different areas. Went back to the LHS got another one, same problems, new batteries, new wiring harness's and a very warm ear from holding the phone to my head for long periods of time.

The Venom does read the temp accurately, it just does not read it from the correct position. Now, other onboard temp guages I've heard work fine.
    It usually can be anywhere from 20-40 degrees Faranheit off compared to reading the temps from the glow plug which is where every mfr measures and refers to when they discuss engine temps.

Let me guess, your engine is running gobbly rich but your Venom is reading 220 or something like that.

Oh, and it loves to eat batteries as well.

Just get a hand held. Oh, and if you search about the Smart Temp you will see ooodles of posts about this very problem.....

My Smart Temp resides at the county trash dump...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Enthusiast
    It's been 4 hours since I bought it and I hate it. I put it on and it didn't even work. So i'm taking it back wednesday and probably getting a hand held temp gun, but I guess i'll just get an ofna fail safe. Are they simply plug and play? I only got to run 1 tank through sinc I was screwing with the VTS for 2 hours

Any failsafe will have to be set, it's very easy once installed.

The OFNA Micro is very simple. Turn on your electronics, press the tiny little red button and hold it while holding your brakes on. Pretty sure that's how you set it, the instructions are pretty clear....

Always test your failsafe once you have set it, or have had the batteries out for a while etc. Turn on your Transmitter, then your Receiver. Turn the Transmitter off and the brakes should come on.

I remember someone not testing theirs and instead of brakes they got full throttle.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    +1 on that VSt is useless! Another thing just get a handheld temp gun. i got some cheap handheld temp gauge and its perfect. I only paid $12 for it. (Micro Center) and as for failsafe. I dont use one.
    The less you mess with it, The more it runs!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Do you guys know anything about the venom onboard temp guage/failsafe???? I have been using one one for years without a problem. I love it and would buy another if this one broke. I have an IR and compared the readings. It would be only like 10* off. I don't need to take an IR guage with me when I am bashing because I have the temp guage right on the truck. It even saves the highest temp and gives me the RX batt voltage.

Please do not confuse the venom temp guage with the combo unit. Two totally different things.

Oh, and it loves to eat batteries as well.
    That has to be the funnest thing I have read today. It doesn't even have batteries. It uses the RX battery for power.

To the OP: Before you return it, get the instruction sheet. It is totally needed because it is tricky to program. The reason it didn't work it probably because you had the plug in wrong. The plug it comes with is a universial one. It can put on backwards and it just wont work. It should have two plugs on it. One should plug into the receiver(in the throttle channel) and the other one is a socket that the throttle servo plugs into. One you have both plugged in, turn on your radio and reciver. The venom temp guage/failsafe should turn on. If it doesn't, flip the plug around on the receiver. It should now give you the current temp and the batt voltage. Once you get it working, you will need to get an instruction sheet. Email venom and tell them yours was missing. You NEED the instructions. It is very complex to set up.(not that hard if you have the instructions). After years of use, I still need to glance at the instructions when I am programing it. Once you program it, you will never need to again unless you change the throttle servo.

I hope this helps!
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    Do you guys know anything about the venom onboard temp guage/failsafe????
    Yes I do, and so did the tech I spoke with for hours on the phone with... I even remembered his name... Patrick....
    I have been using one one for years without a problem. I love it and would buy another if this one broke. I have an IR and compared the readings. It would be only like 10* off. I don't need to take an IR guage with me when I am bashing because I have the temp guage right on the truck. It even saves the highest temp and gives me the RX batt voltage.
    I'm glad for you, but if you bothered to read my post and search you would see what I am talking about..
    As I stated I went through 2 of them, compared them with a Flashpoint and a Raytek IR gun (both calibrated with boiling water). Both handhelds were within 5 degrees, BOTH Venom Smart Temps were reporting 20-30 degrees more.

If yours works for you that's great, I'm reporting my personal experience with 2 of them AND their tech support. The guy's name was Patrick, I spent that much time on the phone with him I still remembered his name....

Please do not confuse the venom temp guage with the combo unit. Two totally different things.
    Could you be a little more specific as to what combo unit you refer to. I've been posting about the Venom Smart Temp.

has to be the funnest thing I have read today. It doesn't even have batteries. It uses the RX battery for power.
    Maybe I should have been more clear, my receiver batteries didn't last very well using the Venom Smart Temp, it liked to eat them up quickly.
    IMHO the Venom Smart Temp is not very smart. After my experience, speaking with many others, including their very own tech support the only time it reported temps anywhere near decently is when it was stuffed right next to the glow plug down the cooling head.....

Instead of flaming people because yours works, why not have a little search... You are going to find more people unhappy with that product than like yourself who seems to have the perfect one. I'm glad it works for you, but after the experience I had with the product, their support who really tried and tried and tried, I'm going to post my experience.

Have a good one!!!
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 12-15-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    All Lives Matter

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. I just don't like to see good products being put down. I have had nothing but good luck with mine.

As I stated I went through 2 of them, compared them with a Flashpoint and a Raytek IR gun (both calibrated with boiling water). Both handhelds were within 5 degrees, BOTH Venom Smart Temps were reporting 20-30 degrees more.

I put mine in boiling water and it read 212*.

Maybe I should have been more clear, my receiver batteries didn't last very well using the Venom Smart Temp, it liked to eat them up quickly.
    That's weard. My battery lasted about the same with and with out the
    venom onboard.

Could you be a little more specific as to what combo unit you refer to. I've been posting about the Venom Smart Temp.
    There is a temp guage only(like the Traxxas one) and a temp guage/failsafe.

Maybe they had a bad batch of them?? Your venom sounds nothing like mine. I dunno.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    I bought one used and am happy with it. I don;t think that many guages are very acurate.For a basher it works good enough it is not an expensive piece. If you where a racer you wouldn care anyway about running hot/lean. Lean is mean!!

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC Enthusiast
    Better watch it though if you have the Venom temp with the failsafe and are running the Opti-Drive. They have a tendancy to make the truck glitch. Just what I was told. Installed one and had it back off in less then an hour. Had problems installing it and when I called the LHS they told me not even to bother with it.
    Nose up in second gear. Yeah buddy!

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. I just don't like to see good products being put down. I have had nothing but good luck with mine.
    I put mine in boiling water and it read 212*.
    I never stated it was reading the temps incorrectly, I stated that the location of the sensor is in a different location than what mfrs read from, which is the glow plug. When I read the temps with a handheld from the same location as the seonsor it was only a few degrees off, but the temp at the glow plug would read different than on the side of the cooling head 90-180 degrees away from the exhaust port. That's too much a variance for me...
    I too will stand up for a product I have had good luck with. No problems there.... It's cool.
    That's weard. My battery lasted about the same with and with out the venom onboard. There is a temp guage only(like the Traxxas one) and a temp guage/failsafe.
    The Smart Temp is a failsafe, with a Temp guage that is set to apply the brakes at whatever temps you set it for I think it defaults at 290... The Traxxas onboard guage, seems quite accurate. We have been talking about the same product....

Maybe they had a bad batch of them?? Your venom sounds nothing like mine. I dunno.
    There's a good point, but they must have made a load of bad ones, check other forums, not just here, and search.......... You will see there was a lot of negative/unhappy campers having problems with tuning because they were setting their HSN's too rich due to the temps being reported as high as they were with the Venom. Many cheated the failsafe by adding an additional 30 degrees to the shutdown. But still found their RX batteries were depleating faster than usual, much faster.

Maybe they found a way to compensate the reported temperature to report 25-30 degrees less and then it would make sense.... There are new revisions of electronics all the time.... Mine was 3 years ago, I purchased it with my at the time New 2.5 TMAXX.

I no longer use a temp gauge unless I am breaking in a new motor or it hasn't ran for a little bit... Otherwise I can pretty much tell by performance, sound, and still do the pinch test. Smoke trails and performance I let be my guide.....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 12-16-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    BIG DAWG
    I have a Venom and was never able to get correct readings. I kept it and used it so that when my battery's fall below 3V it applies the brakes or If I lose radio signal it also applies the brakes. I went out and bought a temp gun to check temps. I adjusted the temp setting to the highest setting and then wrapped the sensor with the rest of the servo wires. I have had good luck with it besides the temp portion of it. You might want to consider keeping it but by a temp gun. It still works as a fail safe in regards to battery voltage and loss of radio signal.
    FLM Tmaxx 3.3, Nitro Sport 2.5R, Electric Rustler.

RC Champion
    my fail safe = throttle return spring mounted on shock tower....if i aint accelerating...its braking
    we can rebuild it, we can make it faster, stronger

Quote Originally Posted by Kahn
    my fail safe = throttle return spring mounted on shock tower....if i aint accelerating...its braking
    Sorry but that isn't going to stop a bad signal forcing your servo to go wide open throttle, or if someone has a 27 mhz radio and it's on the same frequency as yours.

I have both a throttle return spring (for when power may be lost) and a failsafe (built into my 2 ghz Spektrum radio system)....

You are right though, everyone should put a Throttle return spring on their RC's. I once started my truck with my controller on yet my truck receiver was not and the carb was at WOT from my previous after run... Of coarse the truck started first time and went 3/4 down the block into (What else?) a mailbox post, breaking the stock chassis at the tabs on the front.

There was me with a controller in one hand, my EZ start in the other, standing in my driveway with this stupid look on my face. Looking like how in the (fill in the blank) did that happen? When I retreived my busted up TMAXX I then realized my receiver was not turned on..... Doh...

After that I always had a TRS.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    is it a good idea to have a temp gage? i just bought my truck and i live in chicago so the weather can be kind of extreme....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by damirsk8er87
    is it a good idea to have a temp gage? i just bought my truck and i live in chicago so the weather can be kind of extreme....
    Its a great thing to have, no matter where you live.
    T-Maxx 3.3 #4908

RC Qualifier
    does it come with instructions...like what temperature is good and all that....lol its pointless to have if i dont know how to read it ....and are the on-board ones reliable and worth buying?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I personally Don't like onboard temp gauges AT ALL! they can be very inaccurate depending whether you mount them properly or not.. the gauge itself is accurate but how you mount it makes all the difference.

I reccomend a Duratrax Temp Gauge, it's around $20 and its very small, and accurate.

For a failsafe Duratrax also makes a very small and good one. Just plug it in to Channel number 2 on your receiver, then plug in your throttle servo the the fail safe and follow the instructions on setting the brake adjustment for fail safe.

ok..so i have a t-maxx 3.3 and i was wondering is it Important to have a on bored temp gauge or a temp gun cuz i was thinking about geting a venom smart temp.

RC Qualifier
    Its important to make sure that your engine temps are within a reasonable range. By no means do you need a temp gauge. I know people that use the spit method and put a dab of spit on the cooling head, If it boils away in a second its too hot, but stays on for a few seconds and evaporates then your good. You can use anything from an onboard temp gauge to a hand held one. Hand held ones can range from $15-100, they are easy to use and can quickly read the temps, just point at the glow plug and there ya go. On board are a about $20-40 range and are mounted in the truck. They tend to be less accurate because they are heading from around the cooling head, and not the glowplug. They are also harder to read in a hurry since you need to take off the body usually just to read it. Ive personally used the Venom and changed within a day to a basic hand held one. Made a night and day difference and was able to keep good tabs on my truck

Quote Originally Posted by TMaxxcrazy33
    ok..so i have a t-maxx 3.3 and i was wondering is it Important to have a on bored temp gauge or a temp gun cuz i was thinking about geting a venom smart temp.
    I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning.

Your running temps may vary from 210-260 degrees F by reading it at the cooling head.

It is just a tool to get you into that ball park. From there tuning your HSN for good performance then adjusting the LSN using the pinch test and then setting your idle is about the best way to do it, also always tune with an engine that's warmed up and always always always tune with 1/2 a tank. You will find it easier to find the sweet spot when you do.

I have one 3.3 that likes to run great at 230 My other prefers to run great at 250. Same motor, same tranny, same fuel, same glow plug, same exhaust, same air intake...... In other words no 2 engines are the same.

Read my tuning sticky, and rememeber that your use a temp guage to get you in the ball park, from there you tune by smoke trails AND performance. If you have one wihtout the other you are not tuned right.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...wpost&t=334452
    All Lives Matter

iight man thanks

RC Enthusiast
    If anyone wants a venom smart temp i'll be willing to sell mine when I get a new one. I took it back to the LHS and told him it didn't work so he is getting a new one but I don't want it so i'll post back up when I get the new one.

How much are you selling it for?
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Enthusiast
    Well I paid 48 for it so I know i'm going to take a hit. I don't even know what to ask. It's BRAND NEW!

I would give ya 25 bucks for it, assuming that it is NIB.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Enthusiast
    The LHS sent the one I bought back to get me a new one to try again. So I don't have it right now, they said a few weeks and i'll have one. I'll keep you posted when I get it back if your still interested. I want an OFNA failsafe and duratrax temp guage instead.

BUMP!

Purchased one of these today.
    Does not work.
    Went trough all the settings, and nothing should be disabling the throttle servo.
    Wiring is all good, but throttle servo does not move at all when I press it on the remote/radio.
    The trimming setting works, and that does move the servo, which indicates wiring is fine.

I will just used it as a temp gauge, but already use a temp gun.

Disappointing.