RC Champion

Anybody have a lifted truck/SUV?

Man, I haven't been on here in a while. Anyway, I just thought I'd see who all has a lifted truck or SUV. I have a 1990 Chevy V1500 Suburban.

Here's a picture of it as it stands now. So far, I've done:
    -Custom bull bar w/ KC off-road lights. Built completely by myself in shop class in place of the factory push bars, seen in the second pic. Those KC's turn the night into day haha.
    -4" lift with new springs in front and blocks in the rear with add-a-leafs ($150 junkyard special . Put the entire entire lift on myself, with a little help from a friend)
    -Cut out the muffler and replaced with straight piece of pipe. Has a much meaner, throatier sound to it now .
    -32" Pathhandler AT's on old-school rims (got all 4 rims and tires for 150 - I know the rims are ugly, I'm going to paint them when it warms up)
    -CB radio
    -Sun-Pro RPM tachometer
    -Edlebrock air cleaner with chrome performance cover
    Anyway, I think's that everything. So, here it is (I know it's a crummy pic, took it with a phone):

And here's a picture of back when it was bone stock (a.k.a before I got a hold of it):

I know it might be hard to tell some of the differences since it's not on flat land, but they're there.

I've got a lot of manhours into this truck and I'm pretty proud of the result. Next step is some nice 33's when the 32's on it go bald.

Let's see those trucks!!!
    Last edited by papa_wheely; 12-20-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Title error
    "Life's as extreme as you wanna make it."

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_wheely
    Let's see those trucks!!!
    Heres my Mitsy Pajero that I just sold Did all the mods myself

2" body lift
    2" Lifted rear springs
    Ball joint flip with a 1/2" spacer.
    Rear quarter cut and lifted for departure angle increase.
    Rancho's all around with incab system
    Endless air for those tires, which are Maxxis Mudzillas on 15" beadlocked rims. You can see the rear outlet for the air, mounted on the left side of the box. There is also an outlet in the engine bay.
    Rock sliders.
    Safari Snorkel
    Genie Headers, NICE
    2.5" free flow exhaust.
    Custom rear box for gear
    TJM Bullbar and Hella Spots.
    Uniden UHF/GPS combo and CB
    Jamex Bucket Seats
    The list could go on and on.............

The Truck

An action shot........

An inside shot........
    I like it..I like it ALOT! My BL 8ight-T

RC Champion
    Nice Suburban you got there. I like the wheels that were on it before the ones u put on it. but that is just my opinion. looks good tho besides that and needing a bit bigger tires.
    2010 www.montecarloss.co.nr

RC Champion
    Thats a nice little 4x4 ya got there! I really like those Rancho in-cab system shocks, but I'm too broke to pay for 'em lol.

I love my suburban, but there's some things it can't do because it's simply too massive. But there's some things it can off-road the smaller ones can't because of it's size so it's all good

And yeah, I like those wheels too, but I wanted a deeper offset and I came along the deal on the current tires on it and I couldn't pass them up.

The tires do look a bit to small, but they look waaaaay better than the little 31/10.5's that were on it before. So I'm happy for now.

RC Champion
    Man I love those old Suburbans.

RC Champion
    Thery're great aren't they?! I can comfortably go cruising with 10 people it (although not very legally ), and it's great for camping (just fold down the middle row and take out the back and you can comfortably sleep 2 adults in it with some of your gear still in it). And with gas at like $1.40 around here, I can afford to drive it too! 9 or 10 mpg gets a little pricey with $4 a gallon gas and a 34 gallon tank lol

My mom has a 98 suburban, gets 12mpg, 42 gallon tank, and seats 8. I love that thing. Some lady stopped real quick and tried turning into some place. My mom stayed in the gas and spun her around. She was only like 2 feet ahead of my mom. Her little honda was almost totaled and my moms suburban didn't have a scratch. The funny part was that my mom didn't have to pay for the ladies car since she didn't have her blinker on and some other stuff.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    Yeah, we actually just bought a 96 suburban as well about a month ago. It's got the 42 gallon tank as well. Back in 96, it was about the best you could get. All leather seats, 4 Leather captains chairs, console T.V w/ 4 headphone jacks in the seats, nice aftermarket rims, running boards, two-tone white and tan paint job, and all that good stuff. I'll try and get a pic of that up too lol

Heck, if anyone has a regular old SUV or truck, feel free to post them too!

EDIT: Here's some pictures of our new(er) suburban for anyone that cares. It was in our garage with our other cars and I had a crappy camera phone but I did that best I could.

Last edited by papa_wheely; 12-21-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 31794ty
    My mom has a 98 suburban, gets 12mpg, 42 gallon tank, and seats 8. I love that thing. Some lady stopped real quick and tried turning into some place. My mom stayed in the gas and spun her around. She was only like 2 feet ahead of my mom. Her little honda was almost totaled and my moms suburban didn't have a scratch. The funny part was that my mom didn't have to pay for the ladies car since she didn't have her blinker on and some other stuff.
    Unsure what Georgia laws are, but I would have assumed there would have been liability on your mother for following too close or inattentive driving. If she was following the proper distance away and watching what was going on, then no auto incident (there are no accidents) would have happened. But that is just my insurance adjuster in me talking.
    If she didn't pay anything there must have been some other factors on the other lady's part.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    ^^ +1

there is no way she got off with nothing on that one

I said there were other factors. The lady stopped so quick my mom didn't have time to react. There was a video cam from a business that showed what happened. My mom was at a safe distance and then the lady slammed on the breaks. She went from 30mph to 5mph in about a second.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    It doesn't matter how fast the lady stopped, if it happened the way you said then under the law your mom was at fault. Your moms following distance should have been enough to stop no matter how fast the lady in front of her stopped. Also if your mom "stayed in the gas" like you said then she was definately at fault. If she had a proper following distance she would have had way more than enough time to apply her brakes.

Heres my stock height H2 SUV and my Lifted H2 SUT, the air suspension had to be deleted on the SUT, has 20" wheels and 40" tires, but it rides almost as nice as my other one on 35" Open Country M/T's. Only problem is my white one does not fit in the garage even though I had oversized doors.

Last edited by kaotikH2; 12-22-2008 at 11:44 AM.

RC Champion
    I have a minivan with the frame on the ground, does that count?
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!

RC Champion
    Nice Hummers kaotic!

After I lifted my 'Burban, it probably clears the top of the doors by about 8". And we have 8' doors haha

Traxxas Employee captainharlock's Avatar
    My own Blackfoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackfoot.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	1251  
    Terminal is not the end, only the beginning...

RC Champion
    Nice! Those early 90's Tahoes and K5's are sweet! What size tires and lift?

Traxxas Employee captainharlock's Avatar
    '99 Tahoe sport (last year of two door)
    6" fabtech lift
    Bf Goodrich KM 315/75/16
    Mickey thompson rims
    Airaid intake
    Only 50Kmiles.
    Terminal is not the end, only the beginning...

RC Enthusiast
    I usually just lurk but I couldnt resist throwing my bronco up.........pushbar has now been deleted and it looks much better. Its a work in progress:

4" lift w/ extended radius arms
    Bead Balanced 35x13.50 Toyo Open Countrys
    Detriot Locker Rear
    ARB front
    In dash GPS and DVD for camping and trail riding (which I plan to do more of this coming year)
    F350 booster/MC and tbird calipers
    Saginaw PS pump swap
    Soft top

Thats about it so far.....

RC Qualifier
    Really like the bronco... Looks like a perfect trail rig. Lots of articulation, ground clearance, and most importantly a DVD/GPS. I'm jealous.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice Bronco they are defiantly one of my favorite SUV`s.
    ⓘ ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Qualifier
    76 chevy K20 step side. It just stiing now as it need a cam, new rear, and cab work. It is in grea shape and hope ot have it back on the road some as i can.

2 inch lift.
    350 v8.
    that all i remember off the top of my head.
    Team Losi, Family Hobbies, Mels shells!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by captainharlock
    My own Blackfoot.
    what with allthe hay? nice rig!!!!
    Team Losi, Family Hobbies, Mels shells!!

RC Champion
    Here's my lifted K5. Proof that even lifted you can still get stuck. Me and a couple of buddies did the lift. Drove it in on a saturday morning, drove it out sunday afternoon. Gotta love how stone simple these trucks are.

RC Champion
    I know, it's great isn't it? I did the whole lift in a weekend (about 10 hours straight each day) and only needed a friend to help me put the add-a-leafs in. Here I am a few months later, and I haven't had a single problem with the lift yet. Could use an alignment after that tho...

And welderguy - that's an awesome truck! A little work and she would be a real beauty!

RC Qualifier
    I started JATO all others are IMITATORS!

RC Champion
    thats awesome krazy!
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Champion
    I know, it's great isn't it? I did the whole lift in a weekend (about 10 hours straight each day) and only needed a friend to help me put the add-a-leafs in. Here I am a few months later, and I haven't had a single problem with the lift yet. Could use an alignment after that tho...

And welderguy - that's an awesome truck! A little work and she would be a real beauty!

If you haven't already, you should go back over all the nuts and bolts to the springs as they will loosen up after the initial install. Mine did. Did you install the raised steering arm on the axle? Running 4" springs without it will give you some goofy steering issues. I know it's usually the hardest part of a straight axle GM lift, but I got mine off in 10 minutes without using a torch. Let me know if you need the tip on how to do it.

RC Champion
    Yeah, I've been meaning to do that, but I just can't find the time. But with winter break finally here I think I'll finally have some time to do it. And yeah, I got a raised steering arm on the axle. As much as I hate to admit it, I had to take it into the shop for that single part. I absolutely COULD NOT get it off. My dad and I must have spent at least 5 hours minimum combined trying to get that off. I thought it would be easy to get off because the old guy that took the steering arm off the old blazer I took the lift off of did it in about 5 minutes with a little hammer and a screwdriver. Mine just WOULD NOT come off with your normal tools.

RC Champion
    Yeah those cone washers stink. My nieghbor back in Michigan spent two days trying to get one off of a 91 Blazer. I thought they were re-creating a blacksmith's shop with all the banging going on in there. The trick to it is hitting DOWN on the front part of the "C" instead up trying to hit up. The down hit forces the rear of the arm up and loosens up the back cone washer first. Repeat for the next two and it's off. Mine was the original arm from 1975 and I was dreading taking it off. My buddy did it that way and it was out in minutes. I was shocked.

RC Qualifier
    Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!!!
    [_,[UGA],
    l---L OlllllllO-
    (0)_) (0)_)---)_)

RC Champion
    I tried every single angle you could imagine, with mallets, hammers, and at one point a sledgehammer (I was started to get pretty angry with the arm at that point )

And I picked up some exhaust pipes today so I can do dual exhaust. It's not true duals (yet). I'm going to cut the pipe near where the muffler used to be and split it there until I have the money to actually split it.
    Last edited by papa_wheely; 12-23-2008 at 08:47 PM.