Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Touchy Subject On Lipos

Hi I am new to this forum and all the electric Rc stuff. I have a revo 3.3 and a jato 3.3. I have ordered a Brushless E-revo and a Summit due to my time limitations and the neighbos dont like me zipping around after dark with the loud exhausts. My question is I was Looking at the Max Amps batteries. The combo with the 11.1 Lipos and charger and the stand alone 8000hv 7.4 Lipos for the summit. I called them and was told i could get the whole package for 929.00 plus shipping (with a power supply) and 3 year warrenty on all the stuff. I like the idea of a warrenty. is this a good route or should i consider other options? Im not worried about paying extra for a name if the product is baced by warrenty. I have a few weeks like everyone else for my vehicles to come in so Im not going to place the order just yet. Sorry if this was posted before but i searched all I could and there is ALOT to look through. Thanks for all the help

RC Qualifier
    ALMOST A GRAND!!!!!!!!!!! maxamps has lost their minds!!!
    Buy a bunch of these and run all day.
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6350
    L.U. 189
    VXL Rustler
    ERBE

Man I see that price and just cringe.You can easily do it for 1/3 of that.But if price trully doesn't matter,then those should work.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    just get the *****s and spend the extra cash on other things or more lipos
    E-MAXX F/S
    N RUSTLER F/S
    NTC3 F/S

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by l_kuczy
    ALMOST A GRAND!!!!!!!!!!! maxamps has lost their minds!!!
    Buy a bunch of these and run all day.
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6350

Those *****-H rock. $120 for (2) Two 3s 5000 lipo's. Can't beat that.

yeah they have finaly gone mad! im still a maxamps junky but $1000, is just plain stupid! you can get that for less than 300$

RC poster
    yes its expensive but here is what im getting and the retal on there site

1.Power Force 20A Power Supply, 12V DC, 110V AC 79.99
    2.Hyperion EOS0610iDUO2 Balance Charger 299.99
    2.Lipo Sack 29.99
    3.MaxAmps Lipo 5250 11.1V E-Revo Brushless Pair 359.99 (Pair)
    4.MaxAmps Lipo 8000HV 7.4V 379.99 (pair)
    5.3 Year warrenty on everything
    So that totals 1150 so there giving me almost 200 off

Yes 60.00 per battery is alot cheaper i would save a bunch, will they fit the tray of an e-revo and how is the reliabilty if i get less than a year out of them its not really worth it in my opinion Like I said Im new to elec. In my nitros i do almost 2 gallons a month during the summer
    Last edited by Slaughter1600; 12-26-2008 at 07:57 PM.

yeah you are getting 2 sets of killer batterys, a sack, a good charger. its actualy a deal but only at maxamps is it a deal.

RC poster
    Ok So its a good thing I asked the pro's first. Them *****s look real good 4 of them is a good deal. What about the charger is the one at maxamps overkill I dont want to fry my batteries and that seemed like plug and play. Is a sack really required? And would a power supply from my local radioshack work good as its like 29.99?

RC Qualifier
    or you can do this....
    1. 16A PS $40 http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6879
    2. GT A-6 charger $80
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...r_&_discharger
    3. lipo sack on hobby city (cant find the link) $20?
    4. 5000mah ***** 3s packs $120 (pair) http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6350
    5. 8000mah trueRC 2s2p packs $230 (pair)

grand total: $490
    E-MAXX F/S
    N RUSTLER F/S
    NTC3 F/S

RC poster
    can i balance charge the 2 batteries at the same time with that charger?

or you can do this....
    1. 16A PS $40 http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6879
    2. GT A-6 charger $80
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...r_&_discharger
    3. lipo sack on hobby city (cant find the link) $20?
    4. 5000mah ***** 3s packs $120 (pair) http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6350
    5. 8000mah trueRC 2s2p packs $230 (pair)

grand total: $490
    Totally agree with everything,except I'd go SPC lipos for the 8000's to save another 80 bucks.
    _
    _

yes you can do 4 at the same time with this one but they all have to be 2s totals to 8s
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=7523

can i balance charge the 2 batteries at the same time with that charger?
    With the right adapter,yes.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    yes you can do 4 at the same time with this one but they all have to be 2s totals to 8s
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=7523
    but that charger only puts out 7 amps...
    E-MAXX F/S
    N RUSTLER F/S
    NTC3 F/S

RC poster
    Thanks for the quick responses. Max Amps= Empty bank account
    My next question is if i duel sync charge the 5000's what amps will i be running to them and the same with the 8000's? If these questions are stupid feel free to tell me to stop posting

RC Champion
    Yes, don't get the Maxamps batteries, the charger is amazing though. If I start going too much further into the "reliability" of Maxamps pack a few people will start whining, so I won't.

When charging LiPo, you are able to charge them at 1C. 1C for a 5000 mah battery is 5 amps, 4.6 amps for a 4600 mah battery, and so on. If a charger is not capable of the full 1C, that is fine, but it will take longer. Charging above 1C will damage the battery.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

i hate to be a pain but this charger will be way better and way cheaper than any hype will ever be! the best and smartest lithum charger http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm

RC Champion
    That is the charger I bought, I bought their combo which includes everything needed and saves you a bit of money.
    http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...278&section=74

I don't have it yet, shipping to Canada sometimes takes a long time, but by reading all the features of this charger, it seems excellent.
    send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964

RC Qualifier
    Listen to us... GET *****!

I still have my 4 packs I bought a few months ago, and in a MMM combo it can break through my bedroom door!
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Qualifier
    You'll get a thousand different answers, as you can see, but i think that you'll generally find that maxamps have been claimed to be overpriced(although brushlessman will say that the newer packs are worth the money), but personally i would be looking at rclipos.com for the cheaper enerland packs perhaps.

I'm young and learning so anyone feel free to correct me.
    My 0-60 mph is faster then your Bugatti Veyron.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouth
    You'll get a thousand different answers, as you can see, but i think that you'll generally find that maxamps have been claimed to be overpriced(although brushlessman will say that the newer packs are worth the money), but personally i would be looking at rclipos.com for the cheaper enerland packs perhaps.

I'm young and learning so anyone feel free to correct me.
    you bet i will! lol. the good ones are the 6500 30c packs

RC Champion
    The best charger listed on this entire thread is the first one and it is worth every penny.. the hyperion 0610i duo can do up to 380watts or some crazy crap total so you could run a pair of 6s lipo's on each side if you wanted and run at the packs full 1c or more depending on the size you could run it at 2c with 4s on each side ( or 2x2s & 2x2s) if the packs can take it.

***** packs are fine, they are a great price but they are not as good of quality as the typical 30c, 35c out on the market today. I have not tested the newer maxamps packs but they gotta be better than the old packs and they didn't raise their prices. For that much money insist on free 3yr/300cycle and 10% discount off the suggested.

Lipo quality order from my use: Elite 35c, Neu 25c, Polyquest 30c, Flight Power 25c, SMC 28c, maxamps 20c, ***** 20c. The ***** can't take a 2c charge ALL other packs listed can... that tells you something in itself about the quality. I will say the ***** 20c are closer to 20c discharge while the maxamps 20c are closer to a 15c pack but they are still higher quality just over rated for discharge but can take the 2c charge. The new packs again I can't speak on (from ma)

I'm not saying the MA lipo's are worth it or not but that Hyperion duo (10a x2 =20amp) charger is worth every penny over the others listed above. Hyperion sets the standard w/ lipo chargers, not to mention it will charge anything else you can throw at it as well

Listed above was a 200watt and 150watt charger
    8s at 150watts is a 5amp max charge rate and a mess of wires at that
    6s at 200watts is a 9amp max charge rate so the most you can pair up is two 3s or two 2s packs at one time

The 380watt (180watt x2) duo charger can do
    6s at 8amps but PER side (x2)
    -so you can charge 4x 3s lipo's at 8amps or if you wanted 6x 2s lipo's at 8amps....
    with 4s packs on each side (2x 4s or 4x 2s) you could run at 10amps so if you have 5k lipo's thats 2c or if you have 8k packs you would be around 1.5c max
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 12-26-2008 at 11:55 PM.

RC Racer
    you can get the duo on the e-bay for about $250
    simpletons, they're everywhere!

RC Qualifier
    there are a few other rc parts sites that have them for $259.00 w free shipping. i agree with the review/post on the duo. it's a awesome charger. it took me owning two other chargers from two other mfr's to realize the duo is the bar.....no doubt. the duo 2 has the 50 watt discharge which could be handy, but imho the duo works just fine for me....i say look at the ***** rhinos...i've got a set...good price, good packs...also, check out enerland packs....hobby city has good prices on them as well as hobby-lobby int...
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

Hyperion duo (10a x2 =20amp) charger is worth every penny over the others listed above.
    Thing is though,I know the 200watt works just fine,and you can get 3 of them for the same price.There might be features that some want with the Hyperion,but for most the 200 would do fine.IMO the fact that you can buy the charger,ps,and 2 lipos for the same price,makes it,the 200, a better option for almost all.
    _
    _

RC Enthusiast
    I have the 5000 *****-H 20-30 in an e-revo running a 2200 kv Mamba Monster Max combo and can confirm it is fricken AWESOME!!! The batteries fit a little tight but they do fit w/o modification. I have about four runs on them so far. I don't have a lot to compare them to but definitely don't feel myself wishing for more power or thinking that they runtime isn't reasonable enough. Like others say, I'd rather buy these and wear them out after a while then just buy others, vs. buying the MaxAmps for 3 x the price.

the fma can do 3c if you dont mind running 4 2s 3000 packs in parallel like me

these pics are old but i still use the same batterys

RC Champion
    You said your maxamps had a cell failure though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Thing is though,I know the 200watt works just fine,and you can get 3 of them for the same price.There might be features that some want with the Hyperion,but for most the 200 would do fine.IMO the fact that you can buy the charger,ps,and 2 lipos for the same price,makes it,the 200, a better option for almost all.

If you race or charge multiple packs at the same time with different voltages or mAH get the hyperion.. for a basher you can make do with anything if you don't have the money to spend on the BMW then don't get the BMW. While at the race track the hyperion duo is like two chargers with out a large wire mess or the hassle of having two actual chargers to watch over (with two power supplies). I can charge a set of packs on one side (up to 6s 10amp) and have the other side open to tuch up packs or to charge different packs... and they don't all have to be exactly the same, you can charge different voltages different amps different everything.. there is no comparison btw these chargers. If this all means nothing to you then buy the cheapo unit and shave a few bucks off your bill. If you think you will be racing or want the added flexability, and can afford it.. get the BMW it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Flame
    You said your maxamps had a cell failure though.
    yeah but i over amped the pack! i ran it in my rusty in 4s 1p. so the max was 60 amps. and the amp hog (mm5700) claimed its soul!

RC Champion
    yeah but i over amped the pack! i ran it in my rusty in 4s 1p. so the max was 60 amps. and the amp hog (mm5700) claimed its soul!
    A Castle 5700 an amp hog? That's a first. I thought only venom batteries can fall prey to it, but I guess I was wrong.

RC Qualifier
    looks like we are on another red hering chase guys....i'm right there with ya though...just though i'd say something to take note...hehe

RC Qualifier
    you bet i will! lol. the good ones are the 6500 30c packs

and so i will egg on...hey brushlessman, all joking aside, i see that a twin pair is like what 230 with 15%? so that's what, $115 each for 30C 6500mah 7.4..right, if math is right..the closest match i could find to compete in capcity, discharge,availability,etc..was the Enerland 25C 6000mah 7.4 for $85 each....That's $30 per pack at $60 total package....The honest question is this....That's $30 for 5C at 500mah...Is this a value or not? I'm really wantiing to know b/c i'm thinking about picking up another set of batteries....like soon.

to add more to the breakdown that's $85 for 150a max discharge at CR of 25C vs $115 for 195a max discharge at CR of 30C..
    Last edited by kulone; 12-28-2008 at 11:36 AM.

RC Champion
    Well, on paper, it looks like the Maxamps pack should handle more power. But as shown in past tests, Maxamps overrates their packs quite a lot. So that "30C" pack might be more of a 20-25C pack. Not to mention the quality of their cells isn't as good as most others. But those 25C Enerlands are rated correctly, and will be the most reliable Lipo you will ever own. I see no reason to pay more money for a much lower amount of quality.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Flame
    Well, on paper, it looks like the Maxamps pack should handle more power. But as shown in past tests, Maxamps overrates their packs quite a lot. So that "30C" pack might be more of a 20-25C pack. Not to mention the quality of their cells isn't as good as most others. But those 25C Enerlands are rated correctly, and will be the most reliable Lipo you will ever own. I see no reason to pay more money for a much lower amount of quality.
    Nobody has tested the new MA packs to rate them for actual results.. I'd be a little more careful with your wording. Not that I'm disagreeing with you about the 20c lipo's being over rated, but we just don't know about the new 30c and 35c packs. MaxAmps took a lot of negative online press for the under performing 20c packs in all major forums so if I were making the decisions for the company (I'm not obviously) I would make sure the new packs performed to spec.

PS even the 20c MA lipo's were iMO high quality packs, they just were over rated for discharge... even the old MA packs can handle a 2c charge.. and they stand by their warranty. On hte other hand low quality cells like the *****'s can discharge at their ratings typically, but can't handle anything over a 1c charge and typically die out (loose their punch) have voltage issues btw cells faster than MA or other higher quality packs. They are cheap enough though.. you can just replace My *****'s get more unbalanced than any other packs I've EVER owned... even vs some of the cheaper ebay cells I had ages ago.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 12-28-2008 at 04:40 PM.

RC Champion
    Yeah, I finally got my 2200kv MMM Combo ( much) and when running it with my 30c MaxAmps 6500s its AWESOME and the batts don't even get warm! given its geared mildly and I'm being very careful! I can't ever reach the end of their capacity because the power from the combo generally breaks stuff! whether its me or my cousin crashing due to uncontrollable speed or the torque breaking something in the drive train

still not a great test but...
    i still suggest MA
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

Nobody has tested the new MA packs to rate them for actual results
    MA did. http://www.nitrokillers.com/showthread.php?t=1527 As you can see it does do very good,but still not what it's rated.It should have 4200mah capacity at 147amp draw.Instead it has 3500mah at 119.8 amps.Which would probably translate to roughly a 35c 3500mah pack.It's worth noting that they do not test packs,only a single cell hooked up directly to the machine.A pack would have decreased performance even further.
    My *****'s get more unbalanced than any other packs I've EVER owned
    Thats how my MA pack is.If it sits for 12hrs it's out of balance,not bad,but unbalanced.They are my only battery that I feel must be balanced everytime.
    _
    _

Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    MA did. http://www.nitrokillers.com/showthread.php?t=1527 As you can see it does do very good,but still not what it's rated.It should have 4200mah capacity at 147amp draw.Instead it has 3500mah at 119.8 amps.Which would probably translate to roughly a 35c 3500mah pack.It's worth noting that they do not test packs,only a single cell hooked up directly to the machine.A pack would have decreased performance even further. Thats how my MA pack is.If it sits for 12hrs it's out of balance,not bad,but unbalanced.They are my only battery that I feel must be balanced everytime.
    you will never get a true rating unless you run the car to a stop! with lipo we all know we cant do that without a nuclear melt down! the extra 350 to 500 mah should never be used for runtime only for the stress of the load. meaning c rating and max amp draw. now i will agree with 8 that the 20c packs were overrated. but like this the cells inside of my 3000' packs are actually 3200's so they are actually underrated the quality of pack is good but i have received a pack with a balance tap wire not soldered on inside the pack. balancer showed 1cell when the discharge leads voltage was 8.28v, i sent it back and within a week there was a brand new pack in the mail box. now the
    packs are always pretty much balanced and they hold voltage under load very well! you got to remember i run 4s 6000, on my neu 1y and mmm, if that dont put stress on a battery i dont know what will. they come out of a 30 min run just warm to the touch! about 100* i have never even hit lvc.
    i dont know wow well other lipos preform. but these maxamps still surprise after 174 runs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    The best charger listed on this entire thread is the first one and it is worth every penny.. the hyperion 0610i duo can do up to 380watts or some crazy crap total so you could run a pair of 6s lipo's on each side if you wanted and run at the packs full 1c or more depending on the size you could run it at 2c with 4s on each side ( or 2x2s & 2x2s) if the packs can take it.

***** packs are fine, they are a great price but they are not as good of quality as the typical 30c, 35c out on the market today. I have not tested the newer maxamps packs but they gotta be better than the old packs and they didn't raise their prices. For that much money insist on free 3yr/300cycle and 10% discount off the suggested.

Lipo quality order from my use: Elite 35c, Neu 25c, Polyquest 30c, Flight Power 25c, SMC 28c, maxamps 20c, ***** 20c. The ***** can't take a 2c charge ALL other packs listed can... that tells you something in itself about the quality. I will say the ***** 20c are closer to 20c discharge while the maxamps 20c are closer to a 15c pack but they are still higher quality just over rated for discharge but can take the 2c charge. The new packs again I can't speak on (from ma)

I'm not saying the MA lipo's are worth it or not but that Hyperion duo (10a x2 =20amp) charger is worth every penny over the others listed above. Hyperion sets the standard w/ lipo chargers, not to mention it will charge anything else you can throw at it as well

Listed above was a 200watt and 150watt charger
    8s at 150watts is a 5amp max charge rate and a mess of wires at that
    6s at 200watts is a 9amp max charge rate so the most you can pair up is two 3s or two 2s packs at one time

The 380watt (180watt x2) duo charger can do
    6s at 8amps but PER side (x2)
    -so you can charge 4x 3s lipo's at 8amps or if you wanted 6x 2s lipo's at 8amps....
    with 4s packs on each side (2x 4s or 4x 2s) you could run at 10amps so if you have 5k lipo's thats 2c or if you have 8k packs you would be around 1.5c max
    so, which 3S packs are the best bang for the buck?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast