Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RC Champion
    And if were are suddenly worried about which battery has the highest C rating, then the Thunder Power 40C pack gets the trophy, not the Maxamps. And they have been around since the creation of Lipo, so they know their stuff and rate appropriately.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Flame
    And if were are suddenly worried about which battery has the highest C rating, then the Thunder Power 40C pack gets the trophy, not the Maxamps. And they have been around since the creation of Lipo, so they know their stuff and rate appropriately.
    yeah they do! that would be the best battery yet

you will never get a true rating unless you run the car to a stop!
    Thats not true.My SMC 5200's take about 5300 from cutoff to full charge.The extra is from charger inefficiencies.I've had my 4000's take 4200.An accurately rated lipo should be able to discharge it's rated capacity,at it's constant c rating,before hitting lvc,or getting over 140.Or what good is the rating.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Thats not true.My SMC 5200's take about 5300 from cutoff to full charge.The extra is from charger inefficiencies.I've had my 4000's take 4200.An accurately rated lipo should be able to discharge it's rated capacity,at it's constant c rating,before hitting lvc,or getting over 140.Or what good is the rating.
    actually 140* is the temp to get the most efficient output for lipo cell's.
    i know im going to catch heat for this but its true!

That might be true,but it doesn't mean that it's not on the verge of puffing,or recommended to do.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Funny how brushlessman and asheck always get into these Lipo "talks".
    My 0-60 mph is faster then your Bugatti Veyron.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouth
    Funny how brushlessman and asheck always get into these Lipo "talks".

that's why i was talking about another red hering .....
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    That might be true,but it doesn't mean that it's not on the verge of puffing,or recommended to do.
    i agree, if your not in a lab, and the cell is not in a computer controled thermo unit its not very smart to have it that hot.

You can call it debating.I try to keep it semi-civil
    _
    _

RC Champion
    I'm not sure where that 140 as a sweet spot came from, that is the max normally safe operating temp of a lipo... 130 is the sweet spot, and you don't want to break 140. Until I see some official battery spec from any company stating 140 is the sweet spot I'll strongly disagree.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    i hate to be a pain but this charger will be way better and way cheaper than any hype will ever be! the best and smartest lithum charger http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...0s_charger.htm
    Thank you, finally someone recomends fma.
    E-Revo-MMM 2200-4s-5s-6s
    Go ***** Go!

Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    I'm not sure where that 140 as a sweet spot came from, that is the max normally safe operating temp of a lipo... 130 is the sweet spot, and you don't want to break 140. Until I see some official battery spec from any company stating 140 is the sweet spot I'll strongly disagree.
    its the electrochemical property of electrochemical cells.
    it should never be that hot in a rc car though.]
    as i stated before
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    i agree, if your not in a lab, and the cell is not in a computer controled thermo unit its not very smart to have it that hot.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    Best rating? Wouldn't that be the 40C packs that Thunder Power has had on the market for a few weeks http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...5000-lipo.html

Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    Best rating? Wouldn't that be the 40C packs that Thunder Power has had on the market for a few weeks http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...5000-lipo.html
    how thick are they in a 3s configuration? if they are under 30mm than the win the highest rating award for the erevo

RC Qualifier
    Nobody has tested the new MA packs to rate them for actual results.. I'd be a little more careful with your wording. Not that I'm disagreeing with you about the 20c lipo's being over rated, but we just don't know about the new 30c and 35c packs. MaxAmps took a lot of negative online press for the under performing 20c packs in all major forums so if I were making the decisions for the company (I'm not obviously) I would make sure the new packs performed to spec.

PS even the 20c MA lipo's were iMO high quality packs, they just were over rated for discharge... even the old MA packs can handle a 2c charge..
    The eternal MA debates live on so heres another worthless 2 cents for your consideration...

Nobody reputable has tested the new MA packs to rate them for actual results.. (I do not believe that the tester mentioned in this case qualifies) Whats more is you are not likely to see any believable tests posted due to alleged threats of litigation against persons who posted their test results in the past.

I'd be a little more careful with your wording. Unsubstantiated claims of poor performance seem to be ok, just don't post any actual proof of it.

if I were making the decisions for the company (I'm not obviously) I would make sure the new packs performed to spec. Now if we could just figure out a way for you to take over Jasons position... until then I find it hard to take their specs seriously

even the old MA packs can handle a 2c charge.. But why would you intentionally shorten the life of a pack that under performs in the first place?

You will never regret buying or soon need to replace a hyperion charger. Yes they cost more but in this case you get what you pay for.

I wish I could say the same for the packs you are considering. If you want quality or a bargain I would suggest you look elsewhere.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    Amen. To those who have no seen the light: read on.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Just go Play
    I'd be a little more careful with your wording. Unsubstantiated claims of poor performance seem to be ok, just don't post any actual proof of it.

if I were making the decisions for the company (I'm not obviously) I would make sure the new packs performed to spec. Now if we could just figure out a way for you to take over Jasons position... until then I find it hard to take their specs seriously
    He wasn't speaking as someone who even used them 1x, just as a hater. I just simply stated to make sure such 'shots' are warranted. Many people have been on claiming how strong and good the new packs are, and nobody has said a single bad thing about them yet that has actually tried them. I'm not saying they are any good and these users have most likely not stressed these packs like some of us do so take those good comments for what they are worth, as they are NOT 'real' test results.

even the old MA packs can handle a 2c charge.. [COLOR="Blue"]But why would you intentionally shorten the life of a pack that under performs in the first place?
    Austin himself said the 2c charge rate was safe on the packs, if the owner is saying it's ok to do it I highly doubt there is a noticable issue with pack life. You do realize many of the new packs from manu's are touting 3c to 5c charge rates right.. LOL

Neu Energy (NeuMotors) just dropped their 5c line a month or so ago...
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 12-30-2008 at 09:25 PM.

He wasn't speaking as someone who even used them 1x, just as a hater. I just simply stated to make sure such 'shots' are warranted. Many people have been on claiming how strong and good the new packs are, and nobody has said a single bad thing about them yet that has actually tried them. I'm not saying they are any good and these users have most likely not stressed these packs like some of us do so take those good comments for what they are worth, as they are NOT 'real' test results.

Austin himself said the 2c charge rate was safe on the packs, if the owner is saying it's ok to do it I highly doubt there is a noticable issue with pack life. You do realize many of the new packs from manu's are touting 3c to 5c charge rates right.. LOL

5c = 5min charge? i sure hope so!

5c,can you imagine the power supply.A 5000 6s would take a 700 watt power supply,a 625 watt charger.You'd have to run 12g wires to it.I guess you could run jumper cables from your car.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier

I never said anything about it not being safe to charge them at 2c rates. I said that charging them at 2c rates would shorted their life, as in the number of charges until they experience noticeable degraded performance.

This is not exclusive to their packs, to my knowledge it is the case with every lipo that was classified as being safe to charge at 2c rates. While the chemistry of those cells did allow for increased charge rates doing so caused the plates within the cells to degrade at a proportional rate. So charging at 2c constantly would give you 1/2 the life expectancy.

I would love for Austin (who I oddly enough tend to respect) to show any test results showing the effects of 2c vs 1c charging over the usable lifetime of their packs though.

I have not had a chance to use or research the newest generation of cells rated above 2c charge rates so I do not know if they will be effected the same or not. But what do they have to do with older 2c gen MA packs anyways?
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    ya 5c is pretty insaine.. 5c for a 5000mAH pack, 25amp charger capable of 370watts just for a 4s set... for 6s it would need to be a 555watt charger! WHOOT! Did you guys see my new hyperion 0625i duo (720watt)

NEU5000EP 2S1P/5C
    NEU4100EP 2S1P/5C 7.4 volts
    Fast Charge at 5C!
    Same size and weight as the 5000EP packs!
    Click for detailed specs

$136.00
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 12-31-2008 at 12:37 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Just go Play
    (I do not believe that the tester mentioned in this case qualifies) Whats more is you are not likely to see any believable tests posted due to alleged threats of litigation against persons who posted their test results in the past.
    What threat? Anybody can post any test as long as it is truthful. They can threaten litigation all they want, but it isn't illegal to tell the truth. So until someone posts up graphs of the new ma cells we're all in the dark.
    simpletons, they're everywhere!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by _paralyzed_
    What threat? Anybody can post any test as long as it is truthful. They can threaten litigation all they want, but it isn't illegal to tell the truth. So until someone posts up graphs of the new ma cells we're all in the dark.
    Not correct.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by _paralyzed_
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Not correct.

Agreed..

From my understanding MA got all over SPC and they had legit graphs based on actual pack performance; the entire situation was really lame iMO. This was sound data that could be replicated and should have been allowed to be posted, but with legal threats from MA (valid or not) a legal war isn't worth the $$$'s for a small company.

Enough said there but it was lame and that knocked MA way down on my list.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 12-31-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Their wouldnt be so much flaming if we used the term "Good" and not "Best". All the batteries listed for the most part are good. It comes down to how deep your pockets are and how much run time you want. Without accuarate data to back up anything were just guessing. So have fun, with whatever you run.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12