Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    The 12v and 14.4v Dewalt are the same exact motor, so you should get the one that is cheapest. Sears parts direct does not have them in stock yet, mine is expected to ship out on the 12th.

It would be a good choice for the e-maxx also, but it will require some mods to the mounting plate to mount the motor up.

RC Qualifier

Cool

Sorry, I posted twice.

RC Champion
    Looks like the DeWalt motors work pretty good! Dan at KD needs to get some!
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    I was looking at some of the posts from the original e-maxx and they talked about Dual dewalt 820 setups sold by Kershaw Designs. They said it was more powerful than the novak brushless motors, but they also said it was more expensive. After looking at some of the pictures I saw that the motors were exactly like the new style dewalt motors. It would be difficult for Dan to sell them at a marketable price and actually make any money.

RC Racer
    Well mine is working great so far but im down for a little while cuz i broke my rear bulkhead in half today on a bad landing.
    E-Revo: MMM Combo, SPC 2S 8000mah Lipo's

RC Qualifier
    Cwczx3, whats that LED on the lower part of your anttenna for?
    ~Gage~

RC Racer
    novak lipo cutoff so i dont over discharge my lipo's.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I see shows you much much I know, I really no nothing about lipo's.
    Do you think I can use the DeWalt 12volt motor and NiMH batts?
    Beacuse I dont have money for liop's.
    Thanks ~Gage~

RC Racer
    Shouldnt be a problem cause that is what Hobbyguy321 is using as far as i know.

RC Champion
    Dude ...... You smoked your Titans ! Did ya catch a buzz ?

Sorry , couldnt resist ...... That motor looks sweet , I might give it a try when the BaneBots motors I have give up the ghost ....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    Dude ...... You smoked your Titans ! Did ya catch a buzz ?

Ha! no smoking in the forums...
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Competitor
    Well, I guess I managed to fry my Titans with my last run. I was extremely surprised though because there was absolutely no indication that the motors were failing the last time I ran the Revo, yet today I went to run it and the truck just didn't go. I know it's the motors because I managed to hook up the drill motor I'm going to use to the ESC and that ran fine. Is this how the Titans usually fail? I mean, I was expecting them to because pretty much any time I'd run them the motors would be sitting around 200*, which I know isn't good at all for them, I just figured the motors would give some spectacular failure event, not this, hey, we're dead and you didn't know it, haha.

Anyway, now I'm glad to finally be able to try out my 14.4volt motor out of a Porter Cable. My only problem is the fatter part around the shaft of the motor is much larger than the Titans or the DeWalt motor, which is going to require a fair amount of alteration to the motor mound, if the stock mount can be used at all.

And for record, the Revo's stock spur is MOD 8? I don't really understand all these different specifications for the gears to make them work properly together. I'm assuming the pinion on the motor I'm going to use is probably the wrong pitch, which means getting another pinion that will work right, so what pinion would I want to look for?

**EDIT:: Now that I think about it, the motor might be out of a Black & Decker, so it's either Porter Cable or Black & Decker. Either way, I'm pretty positive the motor itself is from Johnson Electric, but I can't exactly find it on their website, most likely because it's an old motor.
    Last edited by Draven; 01-13-2009 at 12:42 AM.

RC Racer
    post some pics of the motor and the numbers on the side of it if it has any. Whats the diameter of the motor shaft. If it's 5mm get a RR 20t 5mm pinion.

RC Competitor
    LHS didn't have any 20t 5mm pinions unfortunately, so I got a 16t instead.

Unfortunately, I did stupid tonight and was putzing around with the motor and I super fried the EVX-2. Thing was I was running it fine with the motor I was planning on using, then decided to hook the other motor I have up (which is a 12volt out of a Fien drill) and that's when the ESC smoked.

RC Racer
    ouch that sucks send it in for repair.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I guess that's what I'm going to have to do, just going to have to wait for the money as I'm pretty tight right now because of school and the books associated with it. I gotta get the $45 since of course I have deans on there and not the stock connectors. Is there going to be an issue considering I bought the truck from someone else and not new in box?

I'm wondering if maybe the motor I have has improper construction that exceeds the various constraints of the EVX-2.

Anyway, here are some pics of the motor:

The writing in the first shot shows as this:
    Johnson
    3c3722
    Last edited by Draven; 01-13-2009 at 10:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys which pinion do I need for the 12 volt DeWalt motor?
    Robinson Racing Xtra Hard 5mm 8 Mod Pinion 20T
    Robinson Racing Xtra Hard 5mm Pinion 20T
    Whats the difference? Also 20T is the size to get?
    Also what capacitors do I need anyone have a Radio Shack stock#?
    Thanks ~Gage~

RC Qualifier
    This is the pinion you need.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCX5&P=M

The difference is the pitch of the teeth. The mod 8 pinions will work with the stock spur and the others would probably shred it to pieces. Robinson Racing pinions are the best imo. I use a 25/54t combo with the 2-speed transmission and it is insane.

You need some .1uf capacitors, these should work fine.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062365

Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks HobbyGuy321 for the help, I will get that pinion and capacitors.
    Do you think the 20t will be fine or should I go higher?
    ~Gage~

RC Qualifier
    I am really not to shure about the gearing, as I am stuck with 19/68t first gear right now because I cannot find any larger pinions. I know 19/68 is slightly under geared with my new style motor, but it still stays well within the safe temp range. If you have the money, you could experiment with the gearing a little bit.
    Maybe start out by getting the 20t pinion, but get a few different spur gears since they are cheaper than buying a pinion. A 20t pin/65t spur might work well.

Hope this helps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is it just me or does it say on the website that the dewalt motor weights 1 POUND!!?? >.<

RC Qualifier
    Yes, the new style motors do weight a little over 1 pound, but they tons of power to go with the added weight. These motors are big and heavy with ball bearing support, large six pole commutator, and the cans are much thicker than a regular brushed motor. It is very strong and overbuilt, which is definitely a requirement for running in a large offroad rc car.

IMO it is the best brushed motor out there.

RC Racer
    Im currently running the 20t pinion with the 65t spur and its real nice with Spc 8000's

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the help guys, now I have to see if my LHS sells the pinions.
    ~Gage~

RC Racer
    Bumping this up for all the Dewalt ?'s that have been popping up lately. Wish i could edit the original post and title to make it easier to find.

RC Racer
    Will the stock pinion fit the Dewalt shaft?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage2502
    Guys I just took a look at sears.com web site and the sell the 12 Volt Dewalt motor for under $22.00
    Heres the motor #396505-20
    I might buy two. OR should I get the 14.4 Volt DeWalt?
    Question do you think this would be a good choice for the E-Maxx?
    I would like to get one for my E-Revo and E-Maxx.
    Thanks ~Gage~
    Do you have the link for this Dewalt motor?

No, the Dewalt motors have a 5mm shaft.

RC Racer
    Nevermind I found it already

RC Racer
    A question for Hobbyguy321 and Cwczx3:
    I have installed my Dewalt 12V in the e-revo, and I geared it at 19/65. It seems that on 4S Lipos, running on grass or on a "soft" soil or sand - the motor runs a bit hot (I have to watch the temps so it will not go over 120 F).
    Taking into account that this is not the revo 3.3 (meaning the e-revo is heavier than the 3.3, it has only 1 speed tranny and only 2 radio channels, so no switching geares) - What setup do you recommend for high speed but also stable bashing ( on 4S Lipos) ?

RC Racer
    the motor can handle a good amount of heat and abuse. i started out with 20/68 then went to 20/65 and now im running 20/62 but its starting to get pretty hot. can't touch the motor for more than 3-5 seconds after running. gonnaa drop down to a 18/62 and see how it runs then. a speed run on 20/62 got me 32mph and the torque was still insane.

RC Qualifier
    Gage: I went to sears.com but couldn't find the 396505 dewalt motor. I ended up having HomeDepot special ordered it for me.

RC Qualifier
    You have to go the top of the sears.com page called Partsdirect and its on that page were you can order it.
    How much was it at HomeDepot?
    ~Gage~
    E-Revo E-Maxx Stampede Slash Amsoil=)

RC Qualifier
    Hi, i was too late and already ordered from Homedepot when i saw the link from the other thread. But after I tried the searspartsdirect website, they were charging 21+ +8 shipping (they can't offer store pickup) and tax so it came out 31+.

Homedepot's price is the same price as dewalt's website http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...x?partid=69317
    + tax which comes out $28 only so I'm ok with HomeDepot, you just have to pick it up

RC Racer
    how do you mount the capacitors?
    runs/parts broken ratio: 8/6

RC Racer
    You need to solder one from each lead to the can itself.

RC Racer
    oh alright thanks!
    runs/parts broken ratio: 8/6

RC Racer
    Will 2x 2s 4900mah, run this motor decently?

What is the erevo videos earlier in this thread running with this motor?
    Last edited by Bohh; 03-01-2009 at 10:57 PM.

RC Racer
    They should run it just fine. All the video's in this thread are with the dewalt motor and my spc 2s 8000mah batteries. i have since upgraded to the mmm conbo and it's just insane the new found power. also picked up a set of the *****-h's 3s 5000mah.

RC Racer
    Great! Thank you for the response. One more question if you don't mind. Did you just use the EVX2 in stock form and soldered both positive leads to the positive side of the motor and same for neg?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast