RC Champion

Speed Runs w/ Rustler: Tips & Tricks

You guys probably already know this stuff... or I assume some of you wouldnt even care to read this, but I thought this thread could help a few people.

Especially those of us Goofsters without "common sense" (so says asheck)

But anyway... I'll start with tip number one that I found out.

1. With my DX3R, I can tone down the throttle travel to a really low number... and gradually increase it each speed run to limit myself to exactly how fast I want to go. What this does is allows for better handling and less spin outs from giving the car "too much throttle" .

This makes reaching high speeds a lot easier because it wont be as easy to over compensate when trying to reach the exact speed you want to reach. Over compensating for me equals a Rustler on RedBull (with wings) and a hard landing since I have so much torque that carries through to the top end... 60's MPH.

Anyway, I hope this was useful info, and please someone start Tip or Trick #2 to keep the good information passed around.
    Last edited by BashHappy; 12-29-2008 at 05:06 PM.
    Giving the E-Revo long overdue love and affection

RC Competitor
    isn't the dx3r by spectrum?
    there's a slow option?huh...

RC Champion
    yes it is...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BashHappy
    But anyway... I'll start with tip number one that I found out.
    1. With my DX3R, I can tone down the throttle travel to a really low number... and gradually increase it each speed run to limit myself to exactly how fast I want to go. What this does is allows for better handling and less spin outs from giving the car "too much throttle" .
    Just to add to TIP #1, If you cant afford a DX3R you can simply learn how to controll the throttle with your FINGER instead of using some fancy gadget to cheat for you..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Champion
    I cant control my fingers btw... im too much of a goof

Throttle control for me... (if it could only be as easy as it sounds )
    Last edited by BashHappy; 12-29-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Is it just me or does limiting you throttle to less than 100% seem counter productive to reaching top speed.

Goofy ya think this may be the reason your 80+mph Rusty is only making it to 71mph?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Is it just me or does limiting you throttle to less than 100% seem counter productive to reaching top speed.

Goofy ya think this may be the reason your 80+mph Rusty is only making it to 71mph?
    LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Like "Wait what..."

I always wanted to see exactly how fast I could get my Rustler going, but I don't have a radar. I think next time they set one of those police speed reader things up near my house (The big orange ones on trailers that show you your speed), I'll take the car near it. I wonder if it's big enough to register on the meter...
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj

Not exactly... my issue last time i was out is that i had too much throttle going on. so when i reached a certain speed... my inability to be able to gradually increase the throttle and instead jerk the throttle caused spin out after spin out. But today when i went out, redusing throttle travel give me ability to control speed better... does that make sense?

sort of like a small camp fire as oposed to a large grass fire to cook a steak???? know what i mean??? or am i jus being a goof

today i realized that 80% throttle travel gave me 50MPH geared 30/76... if i max it out all the way at 150%.... im sure id being going faster than 70. sooooo what ill do is just increment it little by little till i feel comfortable being able to control full throttle at that gearing.

I didnt have this issue on 3s, but 4s is a new animal to tame

Wait here we go... better explanation. if im just trying to do 80 MPH.... but i got enough juice to do 100... (hypothetically).... if i reduce it to only go 80, theres no room for me to over compensate
    Last edited by BashHappy; 12-29-2008 at 06:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't know about the newer ones but I have used the older ones to clock a friend pitching hardballs. I should point out that your local authorities may not show the same appreciation of their equipments ability to be used for your entertainment...
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    yea... its usually a lot of traffic where those things are posted too

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just go Play
    I should point out that your local authorities may not show the same appreciation of their equipments ability to be used for your entertainment...
    GAWD
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.