RC Champion

A little disappointed with my hub adapters

I got a set of Traxxas 17mm hub adapters for Christmas. I've put them on with my new wheels and I found they thread on very smoothly... almost too smoothly. They are really not biting into the threads very well and therefore they come off very easily. I noticed a wheel was wobbling and I was able to retighten the nut by hand several turns! I did tighten the nut with a ratchet, but not too tight as I don't want to bind the drivetrain.

Is blue loctite the only solution? I miss the metal and nylon locknuts that were on the original wheels as they never had a problem. I wonder why Traxxas used this design instead.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    I got a set of Traxxas 17mm hub adapters for Christmas. I've put them on with my new wheels and I found they thread on very smoothly... almost too smoothly. They are really not biting into the threads very well and therefore they come off very easily. I noticed a wheel was wobbling and I was able to retighten the nut by hand several turns! I did tighten the nut with a ratchet, but not too tight as I don't want to bind the drivetrain.

Is blue loctite the only solution? I miss the metal and nylon locknuts that were on the original wheels as they never had a problem. I wonder why Traxxas used this design instead.
    The hubs compress the rim on either side so you will not bind the drive train by wrenching them down, you just need to be careful you don't break them in the process. I have found blue loctite works to help hold them on but still tighten with quite a bit with the ratchet.

RC Qualifier
    i use two per axle adapter....the first one on and tighten it down...i put a small amount of blue loctite on the second, and tighten it with a little less torque than the first one.
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

RC Racer
    You could try these.

RC Qualifier
    This is how I fixed the nuts on my ofna hubs.

This should work for Traxxas or any other 17-23mm hubs.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    Grrrr, I removed the wheels today to give my Response tires a try and I realized that I've actually already stripped a wheel with these blasted things. I've never stripped a wheel with my old 14mm hubs. Remind me again what the big benefit of 17mm hubs is... I thought they were supposed to be more durable.

RC Champion
    I started using the little plastic adapters that came with the wheels. They work just like the standard hexes but with the addition of a washer over the larger hole in the wheel. Is there any real disadvantage of using these instead of the neat blue ones from Traxxas? They retain the nyloc nut and do not come off... someone remind me why I'd regret using them.

RC Qualifier
    You could try drilling a small hole through the threaded part of the adapter just above the nut that tightens to the wheel and use a pin to run through the adapter which will keep the nut from coming loose enough to unscrew.

RC Champion
    Two things to note w/ 17mm adapters (any of them)
    #1 you actually have to tighten them down for them to stay (with or w/o thread locker)
    #2 at least for the first few times using them I would also use a thread locker, ive done this with all adapters though 14 and 17 as you build up some dirt and goo in those threads you won't need the locker any more.

RC Champion
    Specifically what are the advantages of using the 17mm splined adapters over the bigger hexes that came with my wheels?

RC Racer
    Well I have found that the Traxxas 17mm hub adaptors use the same nut as the LST2 20mm hub adaptors. The Traxxas ones give a "better bite" because there is more surface area that "digs"into the rim. Just tighten them down good and tight.

RC Qualifier
    Please excuse me for bringing back this thread.

My children have a race this weekend and want to put 17 mm wheels on the BL e-revo. The stock talons and rims don't seem to hold up to brushless power (i.e they balloon, rims crack). We are looking to get really tight hex hub/nut engagment, with maybe a nylon washer between the nut and rim, using Pro Line rims and Bow Tie tires.

How well do the Traxxas 17 mm hex hubs work at keeping the wheel on the e-revo?

RC Racer
    I'm also considering purchasing the 17mm hex adapter, for when I get my BLE. I'm wondering what advantage, if any, those will have over the stock 14mm. I'm thinking that the Talons will be an issue with BLE power...

They are less prone to striping the hex out of the wheel.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    Ironically this is how I stripped my first wheel - 17mm hubs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stripe
    I'm also considering purchasing the 17mm hex adapter, for when I get my BLE. I'm wondering what advantage, if any, those will have over the stock 14mm. I'm thinking that the Talons will be an issue with BLE power...
    If I am understanding correctly, these come stock on the E-Revo Brushless Edition. Don't worry about buying them prior to getting your ERBE.
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Qualifier
    personally never broke stock wheel/tire setup, only had a small place on the outer bead that needed regluing....but the "quoted" advantages range from more material being in contact with the wheel to a greater selection of wheels available with 17mm hex.....i have a set of 23mm that i will probably never run again, the 17's are just fine and i've settled on some wheel/tire combos that work for me.....

in short 17mm-more material to the wheel, greater wheel selection, cooler look (imho)
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Just go Play
    This is how I fixed the nuts on my ofna hubs.

This should work for Traxxas or any other 17-23mm hubs.
    I've had trouble with mine coming loose and had an incident with red threadlock (I guess they did mean permanent or perhaps the wrench bent because it said Integy on the side ). I'm one of those that likes to know the how and why of things and was curious if someone knew of a thread which describes the principal behind or at least more details about this mod. I need to know, for example, if you need to leave the burr on one side when you grind the notches or if the edges should be ground smooth.
    E-Revo MMM 2200 "The Missile"
    VXL FLM Rustler

RC Champion
    I would leave the bur on there!
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Racer
    If you take a small punch you can turn any nut into a lock nut by or you could try threadlock tape. Just a thought.

RC Qualifier
    Wat about that white plumers tape. That should work.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 400EXer
    If you take a small punch you can turn any nut into a lock nut by
    i dont understand.
    all of the locknuts i have ....they are designed with a small piece of nylon or similar plastic on the end of them...

how do you make your own?
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SteGra
    Please excuse me for bringing back this thread.

My children have a race this weekend and want to put 17 mm wheels on the BL e-revo. The stock talons and rims don't seem to hold up to brushless power (i.e they balloon, rims crack). We are looking to get really tight hex hub/nut engagment, with maybe a nylon washer between the nut and rim, using Pro Line rims and Bow Tie tires.

How well do the Traxxas 17 mm hex hubs work at keeping the wheel on the e-revo?
    I personally use these and never had a problem, less unsprung weight and they are cheap, so you can pick up 2 sets. You still use the stock nuts and pins
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNWS2&P=ML

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi_RC
    If I am understanding correctly, these come stock on the E-Revo Brushless Edition. Don't worry about buying them prior to getting your ERBE.
    from the pictures so far, looks like the BE comes with the regular hexes, not the 17mm

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by spcpicard
    I personally use these and never had a problem, less unsprung weight and they are cheap, so you can pick up 2 sets. You still use the stock nuts and pins
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNWS2&P=ML
    I use the metal version of these(post #18)
    i too, have never had a problem.

I donno why people are so dead-set on using an inferior wheelnut that does not lock.

k.i.s.s.
    be nice.

RC Champion
    From the parts list, which this portion is not in bold, meaning it is stock:
    5374X Tires & wheels, assembled, glued (Gemini black chrome wheels,
    Talon tires, foam inserts) (2) (use with 17mm splined wheel hubs &
    nuts, part #5353X)........................................... .............$40.00
    http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5608_parts.pdf
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Qualifier
    I actualy switched from the $25 traxxas adapters to the $4 maximizers in the link above and like them better

The traxxas ones have the hex pin that holds them on, and it wears, or loosens over time, even with loctite, and alows just enough play between the axle shaft and the adapter hole for a slight wobble or wiggle in the wheel.

The maximizers are similar to the stock 14mm's and have a nice tight fit on the axle and tighten down nicely with the stock nylon locknut and some loctite for extra hold.

Who new, that $4 bucks was all it would take

RC Racer
    If you lay the nut flat and punch the end near but not to close to the threads, it will then deform the thread enough to prevent from backing off by it self. Maybe I should have not said lock-nut but similar concept. Depending on the size of the nut do this a couple if times around the edge. You may want to practice on a nut not as important just to get the feel. Also keep in mind the difference in hardness between steel and aluminum.

When I said thread tape, I meant the white plumbers tape like in the above post.
    Last edited by 01 400EXer; 01-28-2009 at 08:01 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Haha I guess thats y it made me think of it. I'll try it.