Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

My 4S Powered Slash

I got the chance on Friday to throw together my 4S powered Slash. It has the following gear installed:

ESC: MMM
    Motor: Medusa 36-60-2000
    Lipo: PolyRC 4S 25C 3700mAh
    Rx: Spektrum SR3500
    Tires: Pro-Line Switch
    Wheels: Pro-Line Epic
    Gearing: 18:54 32P

I also have a new Pro-Line Hardcore body that has yet to be painted that will go on it in the future.

Click on a pic for a larger version.

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    well, you knew we were going to ask, where's the video?
    Get your vote on.

RC Champion
    Sweeet! What MM high is that battery?
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

RC Qualifier
    Hopefully I can get some video sometime next weekend.

RC Champion
    nice...4s should be wicked fast...how fast do you expect to go?....im guessing around 62mph with that setup..
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiFabio42
    Sweeet! What MM high is that battery?
    It's spec'd as 30mm, but fits just fine with a 3mm spacer under the rear hold down bracket and a single turn out of the front post.

Quote Originally Posted by larrydino
    nice...4s should be wicked fast...how fast do you expect to go?....im guessing around 62mph with that setup..
    I've actually only got it geared for ~46mph. I've got lots of room to gear up if I want to do any faster speed runs. However, with the speed it does now, it's hard enough to keep straight and on all 4's.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skellyo
    It's spec'd as 30mm, but fits just fine with a 3mm spacer under the rear hold down bracket and a single turn out of the front post.

I've actually only got it geared for ~46mph. I've got lots of room to gear up if I want to do any faster speed runs. However, with the speed it does now, it's hard enough to keep straight and on all 4's.
    ..yeah, I know what you mean..im running a 3s with a VXL and even thats almost too fast!
    Been there, done that.

RC Competitor
    Is it just me or does everyone feel like they have to throw money at their trucks? Upgrades are great but there is no reason to put a mmm and 4s lipo in your truck and gear it down so low that it tops out at 46mph.We all know that 46 is attainable far cheaper with far fewer volts. The same size 2s lipo would have twice the run time. Not to mention it is a 2 wheel drive off road truck and hard to control above 40mph. If you want to set some speed record for a slash then you might be able to justify the overbuild, but otherwise it is just classic little man syndrome. Does your street truck have chrome bypass shocks too?

RC Qualifier
    Is it just me or does someone have some unaddressed issues that should be discussed with their therapist? Why do you care how much money anyone chooses to spend on their toys or how they choose to modify them? If you don't like it then keep it to yourself.

BTW: not all slashes are used offroad or exclusively on dirt which may require them to have different tires/motors/batteries then what you happen to feel is appropriate or financially reasonable.
    [QUOTE=Billstmaxx]if the water can't get out how does it get in??[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachandandy
    Is it just me or does everyone feel like they have to throw money at their trucks?
    I didn't have to throw any money at it. However, this is one of my hobbies and I'm inclined to do what I please with my disposable income.

Upgrades are great but there is no reason to put a mmm and 4s lipo in your truck and gear it down so low that it tops out at 46mph.
    Who needs a reason to do anything to their vehicle? It's personal preference that I run it this way.

We all know that 46 is attainable far cheaper with far fewer volts.
    "Far cheaper" is a stretch. This setup was not much more expensive than a MM combo and a good 2S Lipo.

What I paid:

MMM $150
    Medusa Motor $118
    Lipo $118
    Total: $386

A good 2S setup:

MM Combo $185
    Trakpower 2S 4900mAh Lipo $119
    Total: $304

I hardly see where saving $82 makes something far cheaper.

The same size 2s lipo would have twice the run time.
    That's a load of bull. If you assume the same power on 2S as I have on 4S, a 2S pack will actually have less runtime.

Example:

Avg of 150W in each system (a decently realistic average value)

2S will draw ~20.3A Avg
    Given a 5000mAh Lipo (assuming usage of 90% of capacity), runtime will be roughly 14 1/2 minutes

4S will draw ~10.14A Avg
    Given a 3700mAh Lipo (assuming usage of 90% of capacity), runtime will be roughly 19 1/2 minutes

The truth is that a 4S system geared at the same speed as a 2S system will always be more efficient given that the motors are of equal efficiency themselves.

Not to mention it is a 2 wheel drive off road truck and hard to control above 40mph.
    Yep. What's your point?

If you want to set some speed record for a slash then you might be able to justify the overbuild, but otherwise it is just classic little man syndrome.
    I certainly have no little man syndrome. I could care less who likes or dislikes my Slash. The whole purpose of it is for me to enjoy driving it, not you.

Does your street truck have chrome bypass shocks too?
    No, my stock daily driver has nothing of the sort. About as extravagant as it gets is when folks driving behind me can see Sesame Street playing in the flipdown monitor. My 2yo daughter is quite the fan of Elmo.

I certainly do apologize though that you somehow feel jealous or inadequate enough to have to post such things you assume about my vehicle. Perhaps in the future you might want to refrain from basing a judgement based on one's personal preference.

RC Racer
    To a point I agree with Zachandandy. I also understand that "too much is just enough." Its a relatively free country you can blow your money on whatever you want.
    What?

RC Competitor
    I believe in getting how you want no matter how much it costs. I've got an electric 4-Tec that I probably have close to 2K in which is an obscene amount of money for a car that I barely run. But you know what im happy w/ it and have no regrets especially when im out running it and some dude comes up w/ his little radio shack deal talking smack and I show him what a real RC will do.

RC Champion
    wow thats a nice little debate there. to a point agree with both of you as it is your truck, your money do what you want with it i really dont care but on zach's side that is a crazy thing to do...for me. at 14 i wont have the funds to do that for a while!
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    How do those tires handle the power?
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Qualifier
    Isn't our country wonderful... You are all correct.... skellyo has the right to spend the money he wants on his truck.. Zachandandy has the right to feel it's too much, I'm not really sure why he cares, but hey. I just want to see that Slash in a video, nice work skellyo, I love seeing trucks that are neat and tidy.

Ohh, and for the record I am jealous!!!
    Turned to the dark side....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx225
    How do those tires handle the power?
    They didn't pull out of the beadlocks on the first battery pack. I'll be torturing them some more this weekend though.

RC Qualifier
    they are called BeadLock :P they lock the bead....sucks that so many people have problems w/ these..
    Velineon Slash..With a Wing :D
    currently broken

RC Qualifier
    Nice set up skellyo.................very nice............ you gotta love the country we live in as Pilot said. Spend your money how you see fit, I know I do. It's just a good thing the wife doesn't know exactly how much.
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

RC Champion
    i feel this hobby is about escape..and expressing yourself through your truck...if we all drove the same trucks, it would be a boring world..

i'm also guilty of overspending on all my builds..but it makes me feel good!
    Been there, done that.

RC Racer
    Zach you gotta take a chill pill....
    HR

Some people just don't get it, and that's ok. Larry sure gets it though just like me, I make my vehicles as fast as I need to to please nobody but little ol me. That has always been the case and will continue to be in future builds, I'm just thrilled of the options we have today. It's a good time to be in RC.....

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure at one time people thought 30 mph, or 4wd in a rc were crazy. People doing things like this help the industry evolve.

Nice build, I'm wanting to get a bl slash as my back up truck. Keeping the fingers crossed!

RC Qualifier
    do what makes you happy as we all know this hobby is like legal crack and at one point or another we all get crazy i like to go fast so all at once i bought the mm 7700 6900 and both sidewinders 5700 4600 wife was P O'd but you only live once so why not fast proud slash jato 4 tec owner

RC Racer
    Man 4s enerland power,I have a 3s 4900mah poly rc lipo (enerland cells 25c/50c)in my vxl slash,and I think that is quick.
    Good luck with it skellyo,I like where ya goin with your slash.
    VXL Pede/RPM
    vxl Slash
    2s 3s
    enerland

RC Competitor
    My point was nothing to do with jealousy, my point was if I were to want a top speed of 46 I would get a vxl and a 3s and spend close to half. I understand overbuilding when it makes since. If it were me I would throw that set up in something that could utilize all the power(emaxx or erevo). Its like throwing a big block in your minivan, waste of power(although Elmo would be far more entertaining). It's your truck do what you will, just thinking out loud.

RC Qualifier
    My point was nothing to do with jealousy, my point was if I were to want a top speed of 46 I would get a vxl and a 3s and spend close to half. I understand overbuilding when it makes since. If it were me I would throw that set up in something that could utilize all the power(emaxx or erevo). Its like throwing a big block in your minivan, waste of power(although Elmo would be far more entertaining). It's your truck do what you will, just thinking out loud.
    Fair enough. However, here's some reasons why I don't run a VXL on 3S in there...

1) Much nicer programmability on the MMM via my PC, IMO.
    2) The VXL BEC is only 5V, vs 5.5V for the MMM.
    3) I can run up to 6S on the MMM and use it other vehicles in the future without limitations.
    4) The MMM works well with 4 pole motors, which gives me more motor options.
    5) 1yr warranty on the MMM vs 30days on the VXL
    6) Custom LVC settings available on the MMM.

Yes, I agree, the VXL will get the job done. However, it will be working much harder than the system I have in there.

RC Champion
    Correction:

2) Actually, the MMM V3's are closer to 6v and is a switching type...

Clarification:

4) The MMM works well with multi-pole, slotted, slotless, outrunners, pretty much anything.

Addition:

7) The MMM is firmware upgradeable.

Just because you run 4s (or higher) with a big ESC doesn't necessarily mean it has to go fast; it can just be a more efficient way to get more power with less current, which increases runtime for a given gearing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    Correction:

2) Actually, the MMM V3's are closer to 6v and is a switching type...

Clarification:

4) The MMM works well with multi-pole, slotted, slotless, outrunners, pretty much anything.

Addition:

7) The MMM is firmware upgradeable.
    Pfft...details details

RC Champion
    Nice truck...Have you run 3s on the MMM? I'm debating now between the MM and MMM. If i go with MM it would be the 5700 combo..if MMM then just ESC and use the VXL motor on 3s until i can decide on motor/battery fits me the best.
    Never do anything half fast. Hey Ya'll, watch this

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by glbobo
    Nice truck...Have you run 3s on the MMM? I'm debating now between the MM and MMM. If i go with MM it would be the 5700 combo..if MMM then just ESC and use the VXL motor on 3s until i can decide on motor/battery fits me the best.
    I have not used it on 3S yet. I plan to run one on 2S and 3S in my other Slash though. I just haven't gotten around to putting the parts in it and buying a 2S lipo for it. IMO, for the money, I'd pick up the MMM over the MM any time I thought I'd be using 3S or more. Since it has the built in switching BEC, it's almost the same price as buying a MM and adding a CCBEC.

RC Racer
    WOW I bet you have a lot of spare parts the way you bash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by forced00si
    WOW I bet you have a lot of spare parts the way you bash
    The only damage suffered yesterday was a yoke popping apart on the sliders. They'll soon be upgraded with the new MIP CVD's. Outside of that, the Slash is just stupid tough!

yeah you need a swami bar! http://www.swami-rc.com/WheelieBar.htm
    mine with one .

RC Racer
    after seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hG2...eature=related

I must be babying my slash.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by forced00si
    after seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hG2...eature=related

I must be babying my slash.
    i know really. and i thought i was driving my kinda hard. that vid is awesome!

at 13,14,15 sec. you can hear the kids say 'WOOOH"
    Last edited by 88gators325; 01-11-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    Slash VXL | HPI Wheely King 4x4
    Thanks, Kevin.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder
    Zach you gotta take a chill pill....
    +1. everyone has there right to say what they want (cough, cough, as long as it's not political. that was pretty funny/ serious. just couldn't resist bring it up)
    (people who signed up in december don't know what were talking bout. had to be there)

*(mods, if what i said is not prohibited than please delete this post)
    Last edited by 88gators325; 01-11-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Slash VXL | HPI Wheely King 4x4
    Thanks, Kevin.

RC Qualifier
    Nice truck how does it handle
    IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST
    Slash, N.pede,Revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very killer setup!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by osteologation
    To a point I agree with Zachandandy. I also understand that "too much is just enough." Its a relatively free country you can blow your money on whatever you want.
    its not blowing your money if its something you are gonna use
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by skellyo
    I didn't have to throw any money at it. However, this is one of my hobbies and I'm inclined to do what I please with my disposable income.

Who needs a reason to do anything to their vehicle? It's personal preference that I run it this way.

"Far cheaper" is a stretch. This setup was not much more expensive than a MM combo and a good 2S Lipo.

What I paid:

MMM $150
    Medusa Motor $118
    Lipo $118
    Total: $386

A good 2S setup:

MM Combo $185
    Trakpower 2S 4900mAh Lipo $119
    Total: $304

I hardly see where saving $82 makes something far cheaper.

That's a load of bull. If you assume the same power on 2S as I have on 4S, a 2S pack will actually have less runtime.

Example:

Avg of 150W in each system (a decently realistic average value)

2S will draw ~20.3A Avg
    Given a 5000mAh Lipo (assuming usage of 90% of capacity), runtime will be roughly 14 1/2 minutes

4S will draw ~10.14A Avg
    Given a 3700mAh Lipo (assuming usage of 90% of capacity), runtime will be roughly 19 1/2 minutes

The truth is that a 4S system geared at the same speed as a 2S system will always be more efficient given that the motors are of equal efficiency themselves.

Yep. What's your point?

I certainly have no little man syndrome. I could care less who likes or dislikes my Slash. The whole purpose of it is for me to enjoy driving it, not you.

No, my stock daily driver has nothing of the sort. About as extravagant as it gets is when folks driving behind me can see Sesame Street playing in the flipdown monitor. My 2yo daughter is quite the fan of Elmo.

I certainly do apologize though that you somehow feel jealous or inadequate enough to have to post such things you assume about my vehicle. Perhaps in the future you might want to refrain from basing a judgement based on one's personal preference.

this is crazy if the guy wants to trick out his slash..that's his business what does it matter how he does it..it's an rc sport and it makes his car personal so get over yourself questioning his motives for his mods. Nice truck skellyo..btw do you still have that rusty I sold a while back...was a FLM one with losi shocks....
    TRX Slash
    TRX Homemade SCT
    TRX Mid-Engine/Slash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast