Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

my E-REVO. 18V RYOBI drill motor and mod 1 gear mod.

here is my e-revo recently i tore apart my brand new 18V ryobi drill. it was a direct bolt-on to the motor plate. i am running two 7cell NIMH packs.

the motor didnt have those little resistor type things that come off the positive/negative leads that are saposed to help something i really dont know and would like to? heres a pic of the back of the motor to show you what im talking about. any ways i have some coming today.

heres some pics of the mod 1 grears on the revo and one pic of the mod 0.8(stock) gear beside it. also a comparative pic of this motor beside a titan. this motor does crazy wheelies with 3/4 throttle, full it lifts the back wheeles off the ground onto its wing. after a full run this motor bearly gets warm. it almost still room temp.

just thought that i would share what i have been up to.

BTW I HAVE A MMM hidden away for the winter. darn brushless and this whole not water proof deal. lol
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    WOW!

awesome post! I have been wondering about ryobi motors for awhile.
    Glad to see someone do it!

RC Champion
    why not just use nitro revo spurs.. they are mod 1, and they will fit just a bit better :P

RC Champion
    Peel that label back and see what you're really working with. I can see a couple markings underneath already.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    why not just use nitro revo spurs.. they are mod 1, and they will fit just a bit better :P
    I'm pretty sure they're 32p like the clutch bell gears...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nitro revo spurs and clutch bells are Mod 1.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Qualifier
    is it a 5mm shaft? could mod .8 be used instead of mod 1? if not, why?
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

RC Champion
    I love it. Vid please
    send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    Nitro revo spurs and clutch bells are Mod 1.
    The clutch bells and spur gears are the same pitch between all of the Traxxas nitros right?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    i didnt use nitro revo spurs because the biggest they come it 40t and the one i have is 52t. i could have used a mod 0.8 gear but my hobby shop didnt have any stocked so i thought i might as well upgrade to a stronger tooth. lol i put the RYOBI sticker on the motor cause i like haw it looks all the words/ numbers on the can sayed was model numbers. but no specs. yes it dose have a 5mm shaft
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Qualifier
    thanks for all the great comments
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    The clutch bells and spur gears are the same pitch between all of the Traxxas nitros right?

No. Nitro revos are mod 1, Maxx-based trucks (T/E/S) and 4tec are 32P or Mod .8, Jato is Mod .8.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

i run one i pulled from my 14.4 ryobi dill for w/p. nice mgt spur. btw 19/56 is the sweet spot on the mmm for mod 1 on 4s. plus mod 1 does not strip as easy! btw does that motor say 775 on it? mine does. mine is just the shorter version

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    i run one i pulled from my 14.4 ryobi dill for w/p. nice mgt spur. btw 19/56 is the sweet spot on the mmm for mod 1 on 4s. plus mod 1 does not strip as easy! btw does that motor say 775 on it? mine does. mine is just the shorter version
    Obviously my 8ight T&B are both mod1 but I have to say the .8 or 32p on my e-revo doesn't ever strip.. again if you have issues it's because you're slipper is down too tight, and I race and jump hard.... mod1 is stronger, but it's just not needed.

Also to comment from above, even though the stock nitro revo spur is a bit smaller you just go w/ a smaller pinion to make up the difference (as low as 12 or 13t pinions are available).

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    No. Nitro revos are mod 1, Maxx-based trucks (T/E/S) and 4tec are 32P or Mod .8, Jato is Mod .8.
    My research is on your side. Very interesting to know.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Racer
    Here's a way to figure out what mod 0.8 and mod 1 gears are the same diameter.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_gear_calc.html

Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    Obviously my 8ight T&B are both mod1 but I have to say the .8 or 32p on my e-revo doesn't ever strip.. again if you have issues it's because you're slipper is down too tight, and I race and jump hard.... mod1 is stronger, but it's just not needed.

Also to comment from above, even though the stock nitro revo spur is a bit smaller you just go w/ a smaller pinion to make up the difference (as low as 12 or 13t pinions are available).
    maybe i like my slippers tight. thats why i use mod1. every time i go out with a mod 8 i shred them. its really annoying. i have ran mod 1 for 10 runs now and not a hickup!

RC Qualifier
    I'm kinda with 8ight-e. I think there is something wrong with your set up if your constantly stripping gears. I have had my e revo since august and never stripped one. I have run 3 different brushless systems in the truck, a novak 4.5, novak 5.5, and now I run a MMM combo mostly on 6s. I have my slipper tightened down all the way because the MMM combo just smokes it if it's not. Maybe I'm just lucky?

RC Champion
    Hey, I have a bunch of those drills! Now youre gonna make me rip one apart to put in my E-Maxx. Also, I love your antenna mod!
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    yeah i like the antenna to it not only protects the antenna but also makes the revo look better, at least in my eyes it looks better. i have no signal loss that i have noticed. all i done was lightly heated it up with a lighter on the spots i wanted to bend. it dosent ruin the tube you can still easly get the antenna in the tube. not the getting any antenna in to a tube isnt a chore. lol
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Champion
    whats the difference between mod 0.8 and mod 1 spur gears? are mod 1s stronger?
    96% Warn... don't tick me off!

RC Champion
    it is in the size of the teeth. personally I don't think that the mod 1 gears are that much stronger. A properly meshed set of .8mod gears should not have problems stripping.
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    ok i removed the sticker on the motor and it is a 775 can. but still stand still wheelies and batteries last forever with my 4600 nimh 7cell at least 45 min maybe closer to an hour. personally im very impressed with it. and yeah mod 1 is stronger.... lol PROPERLY MESHED .8 gears SHOULD not have any problems stripping. yeah its not necessary but its better.
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Champion
    do the mod 1 gears just fit on, or do you need to modify them?

thanks
    96% Warn... don't tick me off!

RC Qualifier
    What kind of speed are you getting out of that setup?

RC Qualifier
    its not super fast, maybe 20-28 no more because its geared so low. but i really dont know as theres a foot of snow on the ground. not exactly great for speed runs...lol tires could be going 160 mph and you could be going 10mph... at least that how it is with my 1/1 truck lol. yeah you have to mod the gear a little be nothing you cant fix with a drill and a bit set. i dont know sizes i just grabbed the bits that done the job imperial it what you want you have to drill every fourth hole out of the outer ring of holes to fit onto those nipples (there could be a better word i just couldent think of it) on the slipper and make the center hole big enough to fit over the bearing. it only took me 2-3 min... i accusaly used dremel to open up the center hole as i didnt have a big enough drill it. BUT i advise that you use a drill bit because now mine has a little slop that im not to proud of...

any other questions please ask?
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Qualifier
    Wouldnt it have been cheaper to buy a motor like this than tearing apart a new drill to get this motor? Was there something wrong with the drill?

RC Qualifier
    nothing is cheaper than free. lol at my gf's Christmas party she got a ryobi drill and skill saw set. she have no use of either of these thing so i got them. i took the motor out of the skill saw because i have other skill saws and i happen to like the drill. so yeah nothing is cheaper than free...
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Qualifier
    That was my other guess on why you would do it !

RC Qualifier
    yup thats why
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Racer
    kool nice work bro i just got my new revo and goin to pull the stock sh!t out and do this lol anyway with just one motor will you still have rev?

RC Qualifier
    do you mean reverse. yes. you have to make sure that you get some of those little capacitors on the motor if you run that 19.2v motor. you need the exact same ones that are on the titan motors. yes you will have reverse. both the motors are running off the same current. just an the black and red wires on the reverse motor where switched. the two titans need to be spinning in opposite directions in order to spin the spur gear. if the where both spinning in the same direction the motors would be working against each other. i that makes any sence.
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Champion
    btw fix that word in touy post to prevent warning points. Cooleo and the others don't like
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    true fix the s word
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Competitor
    interesting modification...i know a couple of contractors with beated drills...
    maybe a Makita / DeWalt motor can be use too...

RC Qualifier
    i know dewalt will i dont see a makita not working. but they need to be battery powered.
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Racer
    Had a question want to the hobby store today and cant find the right spur gear to use what nitro revo or revo3.3. any1 have the part number for the spur gear mod 1 and Pinion Gears? and whats the best combo for gears for speed higher number spur and lower pinion.

RC Champion
    the traxxas ones do not work on he E--Revo.Why do you wanna go to mod1, what is wrong with stock?
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    did you read the whole thread i havent read it in a while but im very sure its in there some where
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Racer
    justgetting my forums back
    only fifty... REALLY?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast