Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RC Qualifier

and I will name it... Banshee (attempts to break 70)

The MMM 2200 KV combo wasn't this freaky. I held the motor in my left hand while I pulled the trigger.

Just from the vibration, the high pitch sound... it felt like a bomb in my hand ready to explode in to metal shrapnel. This is nothing like a 2200 MMM KV combo, not even close.

Makes me wonder what a Neu 1515 1y motor is like.

I still hear a ring in my head from the sound it made.

Motor- C50-9XL
    ESC- ******* 12S
    Batteries- 2 X 4S ***** 5000 mah LiPo = 8S

Thanks Brushlessman! I'm glad I didn't buy 3rd 2200 MMM combo. If I don't break 70 MPH by the end of this month, it was still fun.

------------
    THERE WILL BE VIDEO OF THE SPEED RUN

something is going to blow up, go up in smoke, or crash in a raging ball of fire... you don't wanna miss this.
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Champion
    Watch out revving the motor like that with no load on it , the magnet could shatter if it over revs too much .

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info! you may have justt saved me $359

hey.... what happens if the magnets shatter inside? Will in cause a short, a fire, or just smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    Watch out revving the motor like that with no load on it , the magnet could shatter if it over revs too much .

RC Champion
    That is one nice sounding motor. But I can hear the magnets and rotor screaming from here. (No-load revs can damage the motor, and at $360, don't do it) I believe when it happens the motor will tense up and make noises, don't know any more about the failures though.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

RC Champion
    That is straight up scary! I mean seriously. Scary!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Qualifier
    I had a magnet shatter on a novak 4.5 and it wasn't that impressive. The truck just stopped. No smoke, sparks, or fire. Maybe because it's a sensored motor? Hopefully you never find out what happens with your motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would not be doing that with my motors
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    I popped open the motor, and changed the bearings, cause I got metal shavings into it last night.

It seems ok.

but yeah, I'm NOT doing that again. I'm having trouble getting the RCM mount on my roller though. Does anyone have the manual or directions on how to mount the REVO NITRO RC Monster motor mount? It just came with screws and the pieces, but no directions how, and I don't see any obvious way of screwing it down.

I DONT want to be anywhere near this thing if the motor's magnets shatter inside. If you were next to me when I took this video, you would understand how dangerous this think is.

My worst fear is that the magnets will shatter during my first speed runs and cause a short in the ESC, and possibly cause a spark or fire. If those 4S LiPo packs explode, I don't want anyone NEAR it.

next item on wish list: Fire extinguisher.

I had the magnet shatter in one of the VXL motors on a V-Twin setup. I thought it just hit the Lipo safety, so I turned it arround and went like 5 more feet instead of stopping. The broken magnet shrapnel shredded the windings, and fried the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    I had the magnet shatter in one of the VXL motors on a V-Twin setup. I thought it just hit the Lipo safety, so I turned it arround and went like 5 more feet instead of stopping. The broken magnet shrapnel shredded the windings, and fried the ESC.
    shredded the windings and FRIED the ESC... So no explosion on the batter right?

Thanks a lot for that information, I wanted to know what to expect if this does happen. Were you running the motor without a load, or did they just shatter on their own?

ESC is like $99, and the motor was $359. So not a total lost. As long as the batteries dont explode and catching the Revo on fire, I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DockBrown88MPH
    shredded the windings and FRIED the ESC... So no explosion on the batter right?

Thanks a lot for that information, I wanted to know what to expect if this does happen. Were you running the motor without a load, or did they just shatter on their own?

ESC is like $99, and the motor was $359. So not a total lost. As long as the batteries dont explode and catching the Revo on fire, I'm ok with that.
    The batteries were fine. I only ran the truck for a total of about 50' when it slowed down. I thought that maybe I had forgot to charge my packs, but they had plenty of juice to melt every solder joint on the ESC - all the wires fell out when I grabbed the truck. I think it was my fault that the motor broke, anyway. I had the shaft out, and the magnet pulled itself into my Alan wrench set *PING*. The magnets in these motors are more brittle than glass, and that very well may have damaged it.

RC Qualifier
    Thats a motor made in China isn't it? Well, lets Germany does better.

I'm going to do half throttle runs this Saturday, and FULL throttle speed runs this Sunday. As stated in the rules... I need video for evidence, and a way to clock the speed (GPS or Radar). A $900+ Revo... lets see what it can do

Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    The batteries were fine. I only ran the truck for a total of about 50' when it slowed down. I thought that maybe I had forgot to charge my packs, but they had plenty of juice to melt every solder joint on the ESC - all the wires fell out when I grabbed the truck. I think it was my fault that the motor broke, anyway. I had the shaft out, and the magnet pulled itself into my Alan wrench set *PING*. The magnets in these motors are more brittle than glass, and that very well may have damaged it.

RC Champion
    HOLY................. I can't wait to see it in the E-Revo! Make that sucker hit 88mph!
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    seriously, after revving the motor to it''s MAX, I'm considering a highly possible failure in this. I did it 3 times before realizing the potential damages.

I'm worried that I may have weakened the magnets a bit.

This is my First and LAST attempt. If this project ends in catastrophic failure, so be it. $900 down the drain, so what? At least I tried, and had my fun.

If it succeeds... I may never drive it again, and sell my 4S Lipo batteries.

Get back to 45 MPH racing, and 35 MPH bashing. If the weather is on my side, the speed run will be done this Saturday. I just need to find a place to do it.

I'm seriously considering the free-way, and having a friend drive behind it. Won't be the first time I got into trouble with the cops because of the Revo (for all of you old timers of the original E-Revo forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless Moose
    HOLY................. I can't wait to see it in the E-Revo! Make that sucker hit 88mph!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DockBrown88MPH
    I'm seriously considering the free-way, and having a friend drive behind it. Won't be the first time I got into trouble with the cops because of the Revo (for all of you old timers of the original E-Revo forums)
    Oh yes, I remember that....you trouble maker you! I am really looking forward to seeing the results Dock. Good luck, may the force be with you when you hit hyperdrive, and your flux capictor hold together. Does this have Mr Fusion installed too? It may need it at this speed! Thanks for doing this for the rest of us to enjoy! We love it!

RC Qualifier
    The little stutter that you hear between 8 and 7 seconds?

That's the motor trying to break the magnets.

That was REALLY close.
    Brushless E-Revo, Slash VXL, Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bonescro
    The little stutter that you hear between 8 and 7 seconds?

That's the motor trying to break the magnets.

That was REALLY close.
    I guess that means there's a higher chance of catastrophic failure this week.

You guys think running it in the Revo now would be safe after that stupid stunt? How would I know if the magnets are ready to shatter? Would I be able to see any cracks?

Next time I run it, it will have the load of the Revo. I have a feeling that one of two things will break... the drive train, or the motor.

RC Qualifier
    I still have a Lehner 1950/5 (2500kv) laying around, anyone interested?

Worth about 420$ right now... but it draws a tremendous Amount of Amps and smoked my first MMM (that's why I didn't install it anymore... but I'm tempted every now and then)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonnay
    I still have a Lehner 1950/5 (2500kv) laying around, anyone interested?

Worth about 420$ right now... but it draws a tremendous Amount of Amps and smoked my first MMM (that's why I didn't install it anymore... but I'm tempted every now and then)
    PM sent.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    "ooohhhhhh no!! It's tha screaming banshee!!!! RUNNNNN"

Sounds like it might be in a world of hurt. That sound from between 8 and 9 left sounds like well yuck.
    Warning Points 88%

RC Qualifier
    It will be fine, that is a good motor, I mean think about the test they did with the CCNue they ran it for a long time on a bench before it tore up and think about it that motor is made in Germany not China.
    E-REVO Tekin RX8 2250kv - Revo 1515 1Y MMM 4s/6s

RC Qualifier
    Let Me Know where and When, i will come witness
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Qualifier
    I might have to do it on a weekday, or early in the morning on weekends. I can't locate a place with flat asphalt, and minimal obstructions.

I need to find a place long enough that I can hit 70 and still have room to slow down. Then again... 70 might be wishful thinking. I have some doubts if 70 on a Revo is even possible.

This is my current choice. Super Mall of Auburn. It's not a very popular mall, and very few people go there. They don't open until 10-10:30 AM, so I can do the speed run without worries of car in the morning.

I wish the local airport could let me use their landing strip, but unless this thing has a giant wing span... i dont think so...

Anyone in the Washington area, if you know of any long stretch flat asphalt that is abandoned, let me know. I need it to be really long, and I need it to be away from the public. If these batteries blow, or this thing crashes, I don't want ANYONE near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    Let Me Know where and When, i will come witness

Yeah never do that. But that is a 80,000 rpm motor should be ok. Put it in the truck and go bust over revos record.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    Yeah never do that. But that is a 80,000 rpm motor should be ok. Put it in the truck and go bust over revos record.
    I see, now its personal

Goodluck Dock!
    If you are geared properly you will hit 70 without too much trouble.
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

But that is a 80,000 rpm motor should be ok.
    Why do you keep saying that?All the c50 are 60000,just like the neu's.
    Hacker C50-10L
    2436KV 60,000 RPM 5mm Shaft Engineered and built in Germany to the highest quallity and tolerances. The most efficient brushless motor money can buy! $285.95

... more info

Hacker C50-11L
    2215 KV 60,000 RPM 5mm Shaft Engineered and built in Germany to the highest quallity and tolerances. The most efficient brushless motor money can buy! $285.95

... more info

Hacker C50-7XL
    2320 KV 60,000 RPM.5mm Shaft Engineered and built in Germany to the highest quallity and tolerances. The most efficient brushless motor money can... $351.95

... more info

Hacker C50-9L
    2707 KV 60,000 RPM 5mm Shaft Hacker C50 Series: Incredible power and long run time define the performance of the C50 motors. All Motors feature Sup
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Why do you keep saying that?All the c50 are 60000,just like the neu's.

RC Qualifier
    then again.... perhaps it is 60,000

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3563

RC Qualifier

just a tingle down my spine that says... something BAD is going to happen on the first speed run... it's like my guardian angel saying "DONT DO IT!!!"
    Last edited by DockBrown88MPH; 01-15-2009 at 12:22 PM.

RC Champion
    Then let me be the little devil sitting on your other should saying "He he...do it! Do it! Do it!"

Yeah I believe it's the smaller rotor motors that are rated the 80000rpm's
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    You should put two of those in ther I bet it would hit 90.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Champion
    I doubt you did any damage just from those short burst , and I dont think the magnets will shatter either when you do run it in the truck , its never gonna max out its RPMs pulling a 10lb MT .

So ,,,,,, GET THAT MUTHA BUILT AND LETS SEE SOME SPEED RUNS DOC !

get it all mounted up. we want to see!

RC Qualifier
    still a lot more work to do on it... All the soldering is done, but I still need one more part for the mount, and I'm still waiting for my phaltline wheels, and a conversion disc to lock the transmission into 2nd gear.

Possible pictures tonight. The wheels are suppose to come in today, and the transmission conversion disc is expected to come very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    get it all mounted up. we want to see!

RC Qualifier

It's almost done. Took me a while to install the 2nd gear lock conversion plate from Oomp, the motor mount was actually a pain in the butt to install.

All I need to do now is find a new GPS or radar gun, install the ESC, and find velcro long enough to strap down 2 X 4s ***** packs. Oh yeah, my phalt line tires came in, but im too tired to install them.

This Sunday, I will go full throttle on this baby. If I break 70 MPH, I might sell the ESC along with other stuff like the Tekno conversion kit.

After this, I think I'm calling it quits. I dont think I'm gonna buy any more Revos... 3 is seriously enough. I'm also thinking about selling my very FIRST E-Revo I got back when they first came out... man those were the days.

I'll keep you guys posted, wish me luck!

RC Champion
    I think you had a better chance of shattering the magnets on the bench than you will in the car. kif they didn't blow then, then they won't blow now.
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

Prediction: Transmission failure before you hit 55mph.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rivemaxx
    Ever the Optomist.

Best of luck dock, i have been following this thread since you started and have been eagerly awaiting the final build it looks super cool. totally agree with brushless moose. BTW where are you going to put the lipo's as there doesnt seem to be any room for them?

RC Qualifier
    yeah... but only if the tires dont fail first. Traxxas did not build the Revo 3.3 transmission to go to 70. For this reason is why I'm only doing this ONCE. If I went full throttle every weekend, somethings bound to fail.

To answer your question Tim, I'm stacking the batteries on top of each other with longer velcro on the tekno battery tray., though it might be heavy on one side due to their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by rivemaxx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast