Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You know, because they are so much smarter over there, they just want to bash you.
    Yes you will get some of that there.But you'll also get some of the most knowledgeable people on the net there,and some who only think they are.But posting something to try to start trouble between the 2 sites,is probably not the way to handle it.If someone is saying something over there you don't agree with,take it up with them over there.
    But realistically imo this build was not gone about in the right manner.If you have a specific speed that you wish to achieve the calculator should be used from the beginning.With 70 being the goal the system should be built for a much higher speed.Realistically I believe with the right battery setup the mmm combo is more then capable of reaching 70.But this is your hobby.You can do whatever you want.If you fail epically,it's on you,but I for one have learned that the journey is half the fun.So as long as you have fun,your enjoying the hobby to at least half it's potential.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    some of you... have too much confidence. I'm still betting it'll fail miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by DiFabio42
    Think on the bright side! Your about to make a E-Revo go 70MPH!
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Qualifier
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Yes you will get some of that there.But you'll also get some of the most knowledgeable people on the net there,and some who only think they are.But posting something to try to start trouble between the 2 sites,is probably not the way to handle it.If someone is saying something over there you don't agree with,take it up with them over there.
    But realistically imo this build was not gone about in the right manner.If you have a specific speed that you wish to achieve the calculator should be used from the beginning.With 70 being the goal the system should be built for a much higher speed.Realistically I believe with the right battery setup the mmm combo is more then capable of reaching 70.But this is your hobby.You can do whatever you want.If you fail epically,it's on you,but I for one have learned that the journey is half the fun.So as long as you have fun,your enjoying the hobby to at least half it's potential.

RC Qualifier
    DUDE, change the ball bearings to Ceramic Nitride ball bearings , its a huge upgrade for top speed...

RC Champion
    asheck, I get your point completely, and I would take it up with them if it was my build. But in this case, I just wanted Dock to know what was being said. I enjoy the knowledge over there completely, and have learned so much from a lot of them. It just bums me out when they have an attitude like that. Really, bad for our sport all together. I guess it was just kind of dissapointing, but it's also not my battle. I just got a kick out of it when the guy that started it, posts over here and asks the questions here that he would get laughed at over there. Like I said, put on a front over there, and come back here for help. Weak sauce.
    Last edited by Chachi_RC; 01-18-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

asheck, I get your point completely, and I would take it up with them if it was my build. But in this case, I just wanted Dock to know what was being said. I enjoy the knowledge over there completely, and have learned so much from a lot of them. It just bums me out when they have an attitude like that. Really, bad for our sport all together. I guess it was just kind of dissapointing, but it also not my battle. I just got a kick out of it when the guy that started it posts over here and asks the questions here that he would get laughed at over there. Like I said, put on a front over there, and come back here for help. Weak sauce.
    I agree.But imo a pm would have been the place to say this to dock,and included a link to what you were refering to.I believe every man has the right to defend ones self,whether thats dock on here,or bustitup over there.When you come on here and say such things it is asking for trouble.Especially since so many share the 2 forums.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier

She's complete. Body has been cut out to compensate for the batteries, Phaltlines have been reglued on both sides. LVC is rigged into the velcro, and GPS is fully charged.

These are the last photos taken before the speed run. I took these photos because... if the batteries explode, if the truck crashes at 60 MPH, or ends up as a total lost, I wanna remember what it looked like before I put it through H.E. double hockey sticks.

I can see some speed bumps on the 2nd and 3rd lane. These satellite images are dated, so there might be new speed bumps on the 1st lane. It's Saturday, so I'm hoping it's clear.

If there are any obstacles, speed bumps, or semi-trucks in the way, I'll be doing me speed runs else where.

thanks to all who have supported me. I had a lot more fun building it though.

Much thanks Brushlessman for the help.

Videos of the result will be posted before 12 midnight PST.

RC Qualifier
    have you given any thought to attatching it to a pole and a rope so that it just goes in circles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmwx6A5sqY

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jayblazer
    have you given any thought to attatching it to a pole and a rope so that it just goes in circles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmwx6A5sqY
    LOL! thats not real.... (not as in fast fowarding, its not on its wheels, it has a pole... im not even goin to explain lol)
    its not even on its wheels
    i looks like a boat! LOL
    :-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You need to slam your suspension. Motors, gearing, and voltages only takes you so far. At that theorectical speed aerodynamics and control will become very important.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    Good luck, can't wait to see the vid!
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplaya20@c
    i looks like a boat! LOL
    Watch for iceberg then! jk
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Enthusiast
    Where is that you are running Doc? You wont really need that much space to get up to full speed and back down. I was going to suggest running out to SIR.

My prediction: maybe 50mph. Your either going to loose a tire over that, or like you said, the pinion. I don't see much difference between yours and mine (mmm/nue 1515 2.5D), and I top out at about 45-50.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplaya20@c
    LOL! thats not real.... (not as in fast fowarding, its not on its wheels, it has a pole... im not even goin to explain lol)
    its not even on its wheels
    i looks like a boat! LOL
    i was only giving it as an example not a comparison.

good luck dock.
    Last edited by jayblazer; 01-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DockBrown88MPH

we are just hours away from complete success or catastrophic failure.

I'm betting the drive train will fail at 63 MPH. If the drive train doesn't fail, it'll crashing during braking.

Tires could balloon up and blow out, motor could over heat, might even flip at 50 MPH.

A lot of things can go wrong.
    I totally agree the tires might fail, it might get air, motor failure, or you might start tracking real bad and end up running into something but I'm curious about the drive train comment.

The majority of failures come from too much torque being applied however it sounds like you expect it won't be torque but rather a bearing, differential or some other component not failing under torque but rather high rotation. What type of failure do you have in mind?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Since its a nitro revo transmission, i will let you know in what condition ive stripped the most of the gears..

Between 50 and 60mph. I did so many wheelies and flip and rarely broke something, the stress on the transmission is a LOT higher at those speed.

It will not wheelie, people think its not brutal so its ok, but the engine is at WOT fighting against rotating mass and wind, the faster you go, the faster the gears are spinning in the transmission, gears are heating up and strip.

Mostly the 2nd speed gear or a shaft pin.

If he go progressive on the throttle it will help, and may last a couples of run.
    ABmods

Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    Since its a nitro revo transmission, i will let you know in what condition ive stripped the most of the gears..

Between 50 and 60mph. I did so many wheelies and flip and rarely broke something, the stress on the transmission is a LOT higher at those speed.

It will not wheelie, people think its not brutal so its ok, but the engine is at WOT fighting against rotating mass and wind, the faster you go, the faster the gears are spinning in the transmission, gears are heating up and strip.

Mostly the 2nd speed gear or a shaft pin.

If he go progressive on the throttle it will help, and may last a couples of run.
    I also think the tranny will fail unless he did all of the pin mods. Even after that the plastic gears are the weak link. Good luck anyway.

RC Qualifier

Catastrophic Failure

As I expected... it failed

well, for all of your enjoyment, here is all the footage of the speed run.

As of February 1st 2009, all purchases of batteries, Revos, Revo parts, upgrades, tires will cease. I will end with 3 Revos in the garage and stop at $5000+ spent since the release of the E-Revo in 2008.

and that is that. It was fun, had a great run, and I would say this was my most favorite hobby next to computer building and long boarding.

It's time for me to take up a new hobby. That Traxxas Summit sure looks nice...

62.8 MPH is still left UNBROKEN! This was my first attempt and my last attempt. Kudos to all of your support, and it was blast.

I'll swing by here once in a while, but when the Summit comes out, you might find me there more often.

RC Champion
    Wow, nice work none the less Dock! Good work to get to the speed you got to. But giving up the hobby? At least we will see you around with the Summit! Don't give up completely though bud, it was fun having you around here. Again, great work though....very impressive!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Qualifier
    good try it was fun for all of us anyway.

so what was the speed on the last run?

RC Qualifier
    54.8 was the last one

Surprisingly, the fastest one I got was the first one when I crashed, and I didnt reach full throttle on that one either. It was really hard keeping the front down. Once you get to 50, keeping the nose down is a challenge.

good try it was fun for all of us anyway.

so what was the speed on the last run?

RC Qualifier
    should have mounted the gps in the front for weight...
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Qualifier
    well what failed is the thing so broke that you cant do a gear change and try again. that might sound kind of forward of me it's just that i was rooting for you and your so close. maybe try a front mounted wing a diff body something
    when you fail you cant just stop. look at NASA.

RC Qualifier
    Great entertainment today! The Areodynamics got you above 50MPH. Just needs some fine tuning and the goal is still reachable.
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Qualifier
    jay has a point your too close to quit
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why not make all that money count?
    Just add some downforce on the front and it will stay on the ground.
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    i feel so bad for you.
    But, what you have done truly shows us something about your character, you spent like 1,000$ on some random combination that brushlessman suggested for you all in the hopes of something so, so hard to achieve.
    your really a trooper man, you have my respect.
    My 0-60 mph is faster then your Bugatti Veyron.

RC Qualifier
    nah, I just got a lot of money to burn... so if your saying I can buy respect, then ok.

I'm looking for a new hobby!!! money doesnt come from trees, it comes from printers!!! If you had an extra $5,000 to burn what would you do with it? Other than buying a Summit... cause that's #2 on my list... #1 on my list is buying a $500 kite.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouth
    i feel so bad for you.
    But, what you have done truly shows us something about your character, you spent like 1,000$ on some random combination that brushlessman suggested for you all in the hopes of something so, so hard to achieve.
    your really a trooper man, you have my respect.

RC Champion
    All that time and money should be worth more than a half hearted attempt!

RC Qualifier
    I never truly believed I would break 70, it was always wishful thinking. Like when you buy a lottery ticket and you have hope.

I actually geared down a little more before I did the speed run. Went to 19/36.

I have more fun bashing around than speed runs, so I might chip in $100 more to convert it to a basher on 4S with that hacker motor.

one or two of my Revos might go up for sale, or might just hang in the garage collecting dust. One will always be near when I feel like going bashing.

I know a lot of people on craigslist trading a lot of stuff for an E-revo. Maybe I should get an XBOX 360 again. Man, kinda wish I didnt sell it.

well what failed is the thing so broke that you cant do a gear change and try again. that might sound kind of forward of me it's just that i was rooting for you and your so close. maybe try a front mounted wing a diff body something
    when you fail you cant just stop. look at NASA.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The first run will always be the fastest d/t a higher battery charge all else being equal. Aerodynamics killed your runs. If you are serious about this you will need to slam the suspension and modify the body to be as areodynamic as possible.

Here take a look at these:

http://fastrc.blogspot.com/2008/10/r...challenge.html
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    AIRSOFT! :P

Paintball?
    Buy me something?

man what a let down. o well i broke 80 today in my rusty

not the exact run but tis one came in at 71.9mph
    what you gunna do with that hacker? shh!

RC Qualifier
    Hey Dock, if you are feeling charitable I will be more than willing to take one of those extra Revos off your hands. It will be going to the "FireWire79 Needs a RC" charity. I mean I work hard, I am serving my country and I am always willing to accept freebies. Besides, if you are wanting to get rid of one of them I am more than willing to take if off your hands.

Seriously, send me a PM if you want to give an active duty service member a gift. I like gifts.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Champion
    I don't mean to be negative or a downer on this, and I have the utmost respect for you, but why give up now? You have about 90% of the money down on everything you need to have, why not just fab up something to generate more downforce in the front and go for that record? I understand the bothers that setting it all up can be, but I mean, heck, your SO close that it pains me to watch all your efforts go to waste.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Qualifier
    hahaha, well maybe in the future. I will say this... the place I used for the speed run was not long enough to go to 70. Once I hit 52 MPH, I started running out of runway. If I it was truly capable of doing 70, I would need to do it at 2 AM in the morning on the freeway with my friend driving in the driver's seat while I controlled it in the passengers seat.

Although I only scratched what a 2200 KV can do, I am very certain 70 IS possible.

I hear it a lot,
    "why stop now?"
    "You've done so much, keep going!"
    "You're ALMOST there"
    "you are SO CLOSE, come on!"

For anyone who has reached the high 50's I'm talking about 55 and over, you all understand what a big challenge this is, and for a Revo to go THAT fast is lets face it... insanity, but possible

I didn't even break 60, 58 at most.

For all of you that say what a waste of money to not even go farther, I say it's money well spent, because no matter how you spin it, I still had a lot of fun at my desk soldering, testing, and building it.

I've had my fun in this hobby, I have spent more money in this hobby than any other hobby I've ever taken. I just wanna take it easy and go back to bashing, playing chase with dogs, letting the kids in the park chase it, and watching the people in the park gather behind you watching this thing fly across the park, asking questions, pushing it down watching the shocks.

I truly believe the fastest Revo, will not be an E-Revo, it will be a E-Revo conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky8333
    I don't mean to be negative or a downer on this, and I have the utmost respect for you, but why give up now? You have about 90% of the money down on everything you need to have, why not just fab up something to generate more downforce in the front and go for that record? I understand the bothers that setting it all up can be, but I mean, heck, your SO close that it pains me to watch all your efforts go to waste.

RC Qualifier
    You can't quit Dock we still have a challenge between us man...

I am just getting started and I was looking forward to trying to beat your record and vise versa you trying to beat mine.

RC Qualifier
    Has anyone noticed a difference between the neu 1515 1y and the castle 1515 1y?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    other than how they look and the temp of the CC one being a bit higher due to being sealed, i dont think so.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    other than how they look and the temp of the CC one being a bit higher due to being sealed, i dont think so.
    Do you know of a heat sink for the Castle motor, I cant find one anywhere?
    "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast