RC Champion

engine maintenance.

is there a link or an easy break down of titan cleaning/maintenance? such a cheap and cheerful waterproof motor, why upgrade?
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4

I just ran mine in a cup of water(did this yesterday) and then grease the bearing I could get too, and it runs alot better than before....

RC Champion
    toss the titan it will die soon get a orion sv2 pro bb 15 turn it's rebuildable the titan is a disposable motor mine died in my first slash a week after i got it

RC Qualifier
    ATTENTION!

All of you that want to "toss the titan" on your new Slashes- just PM me. You can mail it to me and I'll "throw it away fo you".

Really though- there's nothing wrong the Titan 12T- its certainly not the best motor, but its not disposable. And if you drive well enough it can keep up with a brushless motor on a track

BTW- the Titan has bushings- not bearings. ;-)
    Slash-Pede VXL-Rusty-Kyosho RC Surfer-MBX4 Buggy

RC Racer
    is there any easy or practicle way to put bearings in the titan and get rid of the bushings?
    When the road stikes back...

RC Qualifier
    You can install bearings in the Titan. You would have to measure the bushings and get bearings of the same size.

The front bushing near the pinion is pressed in.

Would be hard be not impossible.
    Warning Points 88%

RC Champion
    so back to the original question, how do you maintain this engine?

RC Champion
    blast them with motor cleaner and oil the bushings

RC Qualifier
    I have always used brake cleaner in the past in place of motor cleaner. Am I causing harm by saving a few pennies?

Traxxas Marshal
    If the cleaner you use is not safe for use with plastic, you could be damaging the plastic internal fan.

I do not recommend the use of water to clean a motor. Use a proper electric motor cleaner to blast out the debris. Then lubricate the bushings with bushing oil or 3-in-1 oil (one drop per bushing is plenty).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    no, i need a proper run through. surely i dont just spray wd40 through the vents? is there a picture run through somewhere?

RC poster
    I found CRC lecta-motive cleaner http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?PN=05018&S=N at the local Checkers (auto parts place). it says it is for Air tools, alternators, battery chargers, bearings, cables, chains, clutches, compressors, dies, electric motors, generators, grinders, motor windings, motors, pumps, solenoids, starters. I just stuck the tube in the end bell of the titan and gave it a blast and then rotated to the next hole. I let it fry for a few minutes (let it evaporate) and then attached the motor and tweaked the spur gear and pinion angle. For what it is worth the cleaner that came out of the motor was pretty clear and no "chunks" came out....

ETA: it is apparently a chlorinated product.... I guess I should check for damage when I get home....
    Last edited by nukemustang; 01-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I think the OP is asking for any pictures of someone that has removed the motor (if you need to) and where to shoot the cleaner into, and where to put the oil. I have no pics so I can be of no help!

RC Champion
    ive been squirting wd40 into the end vents which disperses water and lube's at the same time. Will this suffice?

Traxxas Marshal
    You shouldn't spray WD-40 into the motor. It will leave behind a residue which will attract dust, dirt, etc. and gunk up your motor.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle