Thread: steering prob

RC Qualifier

steering prob

when i turn right on my slash and then let of the steering wheel thing it continues to trun right not as much but maybe 1/4 of full turn and same if I turn left. it is so annoying cause you loose control of the slash so easily, what could be the prob? edit: i've ran the slash tops 15 runs.
    Last edited by Big-Bus7; 01-25-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

RC Champion
    If it would go right after straightening out from right or left hand turn, I would say adjust your trim setting. But considering it tends to "stick" in what ever turn your in, I'd check to make sure nothing is binding in your steering. Kinda sounds like something might be slightly bent and binding a little.
    Last edited by DeanSky; 01-25-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Champion
    Does it continue to go right when steering right, and continue to go left when steering left?
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Does everything turn right, w/o any resistance? Some things you don't want super tight, but it might be binding.

RC Racer
    I would agree with what has been mentioned. If the transmitter settings all are set, then I would inspect all the steering components starting at the servo all the way out to both wheels and make sure nothing is loose or broken.

Shouldn't you lubricate somethings or keep things just a half turn from tight. Just to keep it loose and smooth?

RC Qualifier
    it just started like 2 runs ago, and if i turn left to and let go it continues to turn left a little bit.

Sounds like it is on the truck itself, not the radio, but IDK that for sure.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bus7
    it just started like 2 runs ago, and if i turn left to and let go it continues to turn left a little bit.
    Sounds like a weak servo. I would disconnect the "servo saver" from the servo and see if your steering is smooth when not connected to the servo. If it is smooth, then you have servo issues.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dryoung
    Sounds like a weak servo. I would disconnect the "servo saver" from the servo and see if your steering is smooth when not connected to the servo. If it is smooth, then you have servo issues.
    If not, you probably have something bent a little.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Racer
    well same thing happen to me to find out what was happeneing i put it on the floor and took a very close look at it when i turned it! there i saw it the white plastic bell crank has a little arm that attaches to the metal rod and servo....it was this little arm that was moveing slighty befor transfering the motion into the rest of the bellcrank... thus the servo is reaching the center postion but the wheels arnt fully there becuase of the flexibility in that little arm. so take a careful look at that little arm becuase that is exactly what happened to me. you might to order another one or get the aluminun thats what i did. so take a look and good luck.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sschaff
    well same thing happen to me to find out what was happeneing i put it on the floor and took a very close look at it when i turned it! there i saw it the white plastic bell crank has a little arm that attaches to the metal rod and servo....it was this little arm that was moveing slighty befor transfering the motion into the rest of the bellcrank... thus the servo is reaching the center postion but the wheels arnt fully there becuase of the flexibility in that little arm. so take a careful look at that little arm becuase that is exactly what happened to me. you might to order another one or get the aluminun thats what i did. so take a look and good luck.
    Yeah, that makes sense. It is possible that your plastic bellcrank is worn out. If that checks ok, then Id disconnect the bell cranck fron the servo and check your linkage. If there's no binding, Id suspect the servo is faulty.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Racer
    traxxas needs to reinforce that little arm on the bell crank o well i cant wait till my red aluminun bellcrank gets in

Once this question is asked I will ask mine. (steering related)

RC Qualifier
    I just got done putting my slash back together.

Everything works, and I can manually turn the front fully left and right.

What is happening though, when I turn the power on, and have the front tires straight is, that it turns left and stays there.

I am wondering what that is all about. What did I miss putting it back together?

Thanks for any help with this issue.
    Its Your Hobby

RC Racer
    I assume you took the servo saver off the servo and then put it back on. Well, the trick is when you put it back on, you need to turn on your radio and Slash so the servo will center and then put the servo saver back on. Don't forget to turn everything off when done.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dryoung
    I assume you took the servo saver off the servo and then put it back on. Well, the trick is when you put it back on, you need to turn on your radio and Slash so the servo will center and then put the servo saver back on. Don't forget to turn everything off when done.
    I was wondering if there would be something tricky to do after I got it all back together. LOL

So, Now that I have the servo saver on, I have to take it off again in order to center it?

This is the white thingy under the servo itself then?

Thanks for your help, but stay with me on this, its all new to me with what I have just done and all. LOL
    Its Your Hobby

RC Champion
    Wookie, follow these simple steps:

With the transmitter ander ESC off,

1)disconnect the bellcrank(the white thingy called a servo saver) from the servo (the pusher thingy)

2)Set the transmitter trim button to "0"

3)Turn on the transmitter and ESC. The ESC will now jump to the "center" position.

4) Position the wheels as straight as you can

5) Connect the bellcrank(the white thingy called a servo saver) to the servo(the pusher thingy).

6)Drive the Slash in a straight line toward and away from you and adjust the trim button to compensate any deviance there is.

Sorry for the humor, cause thats all it was. Hope it helps!
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky

1)disconnect the bellcrank(the white thingy called a servo saver) from the servo (the pusher thingy)

3)Turn on the transmitter and ESC. The ESC will now jump to the "center" position.

5) Connect the bellcrank(the white thingy called a servo saver) to the servo(the pusher thingy).

6)Drive the Slash in a straight line toward and away from you and adjust the trim button to compensate any deviance there is.

LOL, Great humor.

I'll give it a go tomorrow, been at this thing for the last 6hrs, and better not do anymore or something else will come about. LOL

I'll get back to you. Thanks a bunch for your help.

But, will ask this.......Do I take the white round thingy off the servo or just the arm from the round thingy connected to the bellcrank off?

Not trying to be complicated, just want to get it clear for sure in my head so I can only do this once and be done. LOL

Thanks again.
    Its Your Hobby

RC Racer
    take the white round thing (servo saver) off the servo.
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC Qualifier
    i repleced the servo saver, 1 run ago thinking, that could be the prob and it isn't and what do you guys mean connect the steering directley to the servo, like take the rod thing and put it on the servo? also would this be covered by trx warranty, i,ve had it for like 2-3 weeks.

RC Qualifier
    Dont know about traxxas warranty. Check the bell crank for binding Also make sure you lube the two pins on the bell crank they sometimes get tweaked and pop out of their mounts, They look in but they do sometimes pop out of inner hole but stay in outer hole to look like they are in. To lube I use PB BLASTER DRY LUBE it sprays on and dries so it wont collect dirt, kinda like graphite powder, but alot easier to apply I didnt read all other response's so someone else might have already given you this info , but if not give it a try worked for me

RC Qualifier
    You could have a damged bushing in the bellcrank causing binding in your steering. If you are looking for some good lube Xtreme Rc Bearing Lube is the best I have ever used.
    Warning Points 88%

RC Qualifier
    i don't have any bearing lube would regular handy oil work? like wd 40 polylube

RC Qualifier
    dryoung...DeanSky...fleshgearf150....

Thanks Y'all, got the problem solved with the steering staying left.

All it took was taking the servo saver off of the servo.

It was quick and easy to do. Will need a longer stretch to run it to see about doing any steering trim. Weather will have to get better for that.

Another learning thingy, which is good to know.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks again.
    Its Your Hobby

RC Champion
    Not a problem Wookie. Glad I could help!
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Qualifier
    i solved my problem found i had put a screw in with the turnbucle and steering carrier, and that was the prob.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky

Alrighty then........

I have already done the above this past winter after total tare down and back together again.

Finally last Sunday had a chance to take it out and look at it for steering trim and all.

This thing is going left and right, mostly left it seems. Was playing with trim at the 3 o'clock postion on transmitter. Still could not get it straight all the time.

Today again I went out with a newly replaced servo saver and now I am playing with the trim at the 9 o'clock postion. Still going left and some right.

Also, the turning radius going right, is a lot tighter than going left.

Nothing seems to be binding, no unusual noise or anything else weird.

Want to tare down front end and inspect everything completely again. Not sure if that will solve anything.

Anyhoo, totally lost on this issue so far.

Thanks for anyones help with all this.
    Its Your Hobby