RC poster

EZ Start won't fire!

Need help trouble shooting my Revo 2.5 w/ EZ-Start. The flywheel turns by hand and both green lights come on the starter control, but nothing happens when I depress the starter button. Not even a sound. All batteries are charged.
    The Opti Drive blue sensor light flickers when the wheels spin the tranny. No green function light or any other light. Also, Traxxas said it was NOT correct that the tranny spins when I manually push the truck backwards but not when I push it forwards, and that the OptiDrive may sense a tranny malfunction, preventing the EZ Drive from turning. But when I last drove it, the tranny was fine. And I rebuild the tranny only a few hours of driving prior to that.

Any ideas?

RC Champion
    And your sur ethat the EZ start hand controller is holding a charge and both those lights are coming on?

RC Qualifier
    The opti-drive really doesn't have anything to do with the e-z start. I can crank my 3.3 over with the e-z start while it's sitting on my desk at the computer. Check all the wires to the e-z start, make sure you don't have a busted wire or a bad post on the e-z start motor, the yellow wire has to be well grounded as well. We can start with that.
    Keep the greasy side down!

RC Qualifier
    Are both lights on the ez-start wand, lighting up? Sounds like a loose or broken wire on the ez-start motor. But also could be a pushed pin on the connection on the wand. The ground on the motor mount is for the glow plug, not the ez-start motor by the way.
    3.3 Revo Picco.26 FOC 17/36/WIDE P2 50WT Grn/Tan

RC Qualifier
    I know my brothers was doing that an we found out that one of the wires on the easy start motor was broke and we had to put a new end on it and it works great now. Check your wires to the starter motor..
    Pull the trigger & Drive! O.S.21tm THS Rear Pipe

RC Qualifier
    check the wires that connect to the motor (red and black) one of them might of slipped off
    nitro runs are endless with a revo

RC Qualifier
    lol, 4 posts saying the same thing.
    Keep the greasy side down!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtieboy
    lol, 4 posts saying the same thing.
    lol, i didnt notice that he should know thats probaly the problem
    nitro runs are endless with a revo

RC Champion
    i would start with the wires
    3.3 Revo, RBModed RedDot, RRP gears, 18/36, RPM'S

RC Enthusiast
    try tapping on the ez start motor with a screwdriver or something
    while pushing the button on your ez start
    wind it up and let it go

RC Competitor
    You may also have a flooded engine. The ez start wont engage if that is the case. Take the plug out and turn it upside down and try to crank it.

RC poster
    Since you say that both light come on when you press the bottom I can only think in a couple of possible reasons but first let go by elimination;

#1 You say engine can be turned by hand at the flywheel.
    So the engine is not preventing the EZ start from turning
    #2 Both light illuminate when pressing EZ start bottom.
    Indicating a complete circuit in both glow plug and starter motor

Try to move the engine flywheel backward to ensure the gears in the EZ start case are not preventing the system from turning. If you can turn the flywheel backwards and you can see the EZ start motor turning that eliminate that possibility.
    Now here is what I think might be the problem, even when you have both lights on when you press the EZ start bottom the light only are telling you that there is a closed circuit in the system meaning that the power that is send in that particular circuit is returning to the source as it is supposed to be, now if the motor has the internals dirty or the brushes some what worn-out you can still have a closed circuit but because the flow of current being reduced by the unhealthy motor it won’t move. Last but not least and possibly the real problem the positive cable connecting from the pin at the location where you insert the EZ start power to the positive terminal connector on the motor it sell most be checked, I really believe that more likely is the reason for your EZ start motor no engaging. The cable it most likely touching pinched and making metal to metal contact on the chassis that is grounded via the yellow cable attached to the engine blocked. Do you want to eliminate that possibility real quick? Disconnect the cables from the EZ start motor and apply direct power from another source like from the battery that you already have in the EZ start. If the motor work there is no doubt that the problem is in the EZ start wiring harness. Good luck.

RC poster

Working now - Thanks Lone Wolf

I bought a used Revo 3.3 and it started once and then would never turn over. Turns out that it was the negative clip that was just sitting on the connector to the easy start. Cleaned and tightened the clip now all is good

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf63 View Post
    Since you say that both light come on when you press the bottom I can only think in a couple of possible reasons but first let go by elimination;

#1 You say engine can be turned by hand at the flywheel.
    So the engine is not preventing the EZ start from turning
    #2 Both light illuminate when pressing EZ start bottom.
    Indicating a complete circuit in both glow plug and starter motor

Try to move the engine flywheel backward to ensure the gears in the EZ start case are not preventing the system from turning. If you can turn the flywheel backwards and you can see the EZ start motor turning that eliminate that possibility.
    Now here is what I think might be the problem, even when you have both lights on when you press the EZ start bottom the light only are telling you that there is a closed circuit in the system meaning that the power that is send in that particular circuit is returning to the source as it is supposed to be, now if the motor has the internals dirty or the brushes some what worn-out you can still have a closed circuit but because the flow of current being reduced by the unhealthy motor it won’t move. Last but not least and possibly the real problem the positive cable connecting from the pin at the location where you insert the EZ start power to the positive terminal connector on the motor it sell most be checked, I really believe that more likely is the reason for your EZ start motor no engaging. The cable it most likely touching pinched and making metal to metal contact on the chassis that is grounded via the yellow cable attached to the engine blocked. Do you want to eliminate that possibility real quick? Disconnect the cables from the EZ start motor and apply direct power from another source like from the battery that you already have in the EZ start. If the motor work there is no doubt that the problem is in the EZ start wiring harness. Good luck.