RC Qualifier

new slash questions

okay so i just went to my lhs to buy my slash. and of course, out of stock so i ordered it and its due the end of next week. while i was there i bought 2 venom 7 cell 8.4 volt batteries and an onyx 210 charger. how do these batteries compare to others? and what other upgrades did you guys get when u first got your slashes?

thanks guys!
    s-maxx: bone stock
    SLASH: bone stock...for now

RC Champion
    Those batteries are horrible.
    E-Revo - Single 700-HO - SPC 2s 8K LiPo

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Some of those batteries, more like the majortity. It is like the Titan motor, it is a flip of a coin what you get, you may get a good one or a terrible one, plus they are way overpriced. Some Lipos are cheaper than that. What mah did you get? Onyx series is a good charger,230 is the has more capabilities by the way. I didn't get many upgrades when I got mine.

RC Champion
    my first upgrade was putting a vxl in it what mah are those venoms anything under 4200 are junk the 4200 and above are ok

RC Qualifier
    umm. to let you guys know this is my first electric so im completely lost with the mah and nimh stuff and the cells and what not. but umm they say 3000 on them so im assuming that the mah

Yes, you're right. hmmm. I saw the 8.4v7cell 5000 and it was about $90! Thats crazy for a 7c Nimh. And that is about right w/ the venom batteries. Other companies are like that, but no where near as bad! Some battery makers are good at high-end but not good at low-end or vice versa.

RC Qualifier
    take them back and order from promatch. They are great packs and have a very good price.
    Warning Points 88%

RC Qualifier
    what about lipo? do the go into the slash stock? or do i have to buy something else to make them compatible?

SPC makes great cheap lipos. Don't know much about the stock lipo set-up though.

RC Champion
    dont go lipo in the stock slash you'll need a lvc which there are none that work with the waterproof xl-5

RC Champion
    Take those packs back they are horrible batteries. Venom is not a good brand.

You don't want to use LiPo with a stock Slash. LiPo's can't be discharged below 3V per cell, so when using them you need what's called a Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) to prevent them from going below 3V per cell. The speed control the Slash has doesn't have an LVC built into it and none of the seperate LVC's on the market work with it.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    okay. um well whats a good brand of nimh batteries then? i think ive seen spc nimh packs but im not sure. and what about maxamps? i hear that name alot

I've heard that Maxamps makes some good lipos, but they are not as good on their nimh's. Promatch and SPC makes good nimh's. They are both the same thing, but promatch is the cheaper of the two. Duratrax is kinda good on their batteries, not the best though.

RC Racer
    If you use a Lipo with a Hyperion or JST/XH tap MaxAmps sells a low voltage alarm that plugs into the tap and beeps and flashes a led when the pack is nearing it's max low voltage. Here's the link
    http://www.maxamps.com/2S-LVA.htm

RC Qualifier
    I have two venom packs and don't know why everyone hates them, they work great for me.

See, not everybody has trouble w/ venom, but just to be on the safe-side, I would get a different battery. That's what I did, instead of getting a 7cell venom, I got a 7cell Losi and it works great!! Never heard anything bad about Losi's batteries.

RC Champion
    team loser lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashKiller
    I have two venom packs and don't know why everyone hates them, they work great for me.
    Some of them tend to overheat and fry or explode. I'm sure most people were just fine with the batteries until it covered the inside of their truck, or their house with a fine black layer of dust and pieces of battery shrapnel everywhere. That is why I still prefer to run my frankenstiened GP3300's in my trucks. Heck, they still perform just as well as when they were new (1-2 years, 300-700 cycles). I would prefer dishing out the money to buy a decent quality pack compared to something that may explode. Anyway, my $0.02
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Racer
    You should also consider taking back your Onyx 210. I spent $50 on one when I bought my Slash and wish I would have invested another 30-40 for a better charger. I quickly realized that I needed a better charger. Dumb hobby shop guys took advantage of my ignorance. I have had to dish out another $80 for a better charger. Plan ahead with a decent charger and it will save you in the long run, especially if you ever plan to race.

What charger did you get then??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by laplante33
    okay so i just went to my lhs to buy my slash. and of course, out of stock so i ordered it and its due the end of next week. while i was there i bought 2 venom 7 cell 8.4 volt batteries and an onyx 210 charger. how do these batteries compare to others? and what other upgrades did you guys get when u first got your slashes?

thanks guys!

Just buy it from Towerhobbies.com.... odds are it is cheaper... and it will show up at your house with the basic shipping by probably tuesday or wednesday.
    VXL/ 40wt frnt, 60wt rear/ RPM front end

RC poster
    I just got my Slash 2 weeks ago and bought the same batteries and charger.
    They are working great...no regrets

RC Qualifier
    Okay I'm just going to wait until i get my Slash and actually run it with the batteries and charge them before i do anything. Thanks for all the help guys!

RC Qualifier
    wait one more thing! what would you guys say about this? http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...hp?prod=7490SL

Matched is better. They make good batteries, but you would want to get "matched", so all of the cell's voltages are the same. unmatched cells would all be different.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=7480 like that? whats the difference between matched and unmatched?

RC Qualifier
    at my LHS they are out of stock too.
    I was wondering How many Slashes have been sold since its release.
    go for lipo, I spend too much 7 cell whereas i can get more runtime on my Lipo and runs cooler than my 7 cel, which heats up within 5-10 min at any gearing.
    Rustler VXL (untouched)

RC Qualifier
    Actually John the Battery Guy just came out with a 9 cell battery that will fit in the slash. It's a $100 battery but well worth the money, very fast and long run time. It's item number 13 on his site. www.fastrcbatteries.com

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonrevo33
    See, not everybody has trouble w/ venom, but just to be on the safe-side, I would get a different battery. That's what I did, instead of getting a 7cell venom, I got a 7cell Losi and it works great!! Never heard anything bad about Losi's batteries.
    absolutely love my losi packs i have some 4600 7cell packs from them and they have never once let me down and the price is not bad at all for the quality you get i highly recommend them (i run 6 of them)
    "If it aint broke don't fix it"

RC Qualifier
    I think I'm going to wait for my slash to come in and I'll just run it with the venoms for the time being. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!

Glad to help and yeah, I like my losi too.