Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Titan, 700 HO and Dewalt motors...

Hello all
    Those who read my one or two threads know I had the Titans, the 700 HO, and now I bought the Dewalt 12V motor.
    I have ordered it from ereplacements.com (26$). I have also bought two spare brushes at about 3$ each (the brushes are replaceable in the Dewalt 12V motor).

I have some work to do with taking off the pinion that came with the motor (it is pressed on the totally round shaft. There are no screws or something), and than I need to mount the motor and fit the 19t pinion and all, but here is my first impression:

This thing is big and heavy ( I hope it means robust, also...)
    I have weighted the motors (with wires and pinions):
    The Titan - 260 grams each.
    The 700 HO - 400 grams.
    The Dewalt 12V 430 grams (with its small original pinion).

here are some pictures:

More pictures and info- When I will finish with mounting it ...

BillyBoy

RC Racer
    The dewalt is also fatter (comparing width on the last pic).

RC Racer
    Cool, thanks for the info.

RC Qualifier
    i think you should let us know how the issues on the KD motor are going....the OTHER threads you have just drop off, this would have been a good add to the existing threads so everyone can follow........not a new thread....
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

RC Racer
    This has all been covered already a few times. This is my thread with video's and links to the other installs. you want to get a 20t pinion or go with a 65t spur. i just dremeled a slot in the pinioin and then split it with a screwdriver and it slides right off. Then dremel a flat spot for the set screw of the new pinion. Also need to dremel the 29mm motor mount holes a little wider and get 4mm screws to mount the motor. Don't forget to add the little capicitors to the motor or it will glitch really bad. Had to space mine back a little to get the pinion to line up correctly. Im about to try a 19t pinion and a 62t spur to see how the speed is.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ghlight=smoked
    E-Revo: MMM Combo, SPC 2S 8000mah Lipo's

RC Qualifier
    sorry, i was following one of those and didn't ever see a resolution....hope it worked out.
    " SENSELESS " - The adjective that says it all....

RC Racer
    Hello again
    Just to clear things up:
    First of all - as far as I am concerned, I give the credit for the Idea of using the Dewalt 12V motor if for Hobbyguy321 and Cwczx3.

I have posted this thread:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=454437

Just to make a long story short:
    My Titans Died after about 40 -50 runs (mostly on Nimh's, and 17/68 gearing). The 700 HO died after 16 runs (on Lipo's only, 19/68 Gearing). Dan from Kershaw designs suggested (from his good will) that I would buy a new 700 HO for 25$ shipped (internationally), but after the motor lasted only 16 runs, I was looking for a stronger brushed solution. The threads that these two guys had posted - convinced me to try the Dewalt 12V.
    I am just adding my two cents here...

I have found some more good info on the motor in this link:

http://www.wa4dsy.net/robot/dewalt-drill-motor

It shows a way to take off the pinion (I didn't do it as it shows), and it says that this motor is probably about 1325Kv forward, and 1235Kv reverse. This means a very high torque motor, and that it is important to connect it the right way, so it will drive faster forward....
    I was trying to find the Data sheet of the motor, so I would know how much power it has, and what is the efficiency of it. It was an unsuccessful trial.

From what I have found, and I am totally unsure of this,(and this is not a formal information) - it has about 530- 550 Watts, and it has 81% efficiency.
    more pictures and stuff - hopefully in the weekend ....

RC Competitor
    do you have a picture of the drill this motor comes from?

RC Racer
    Sorry, my mistake. The correct address is :

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

Its a Standard cordless 12V drill from Dewalt (model no' DW980). But of course I didn't buy the whole drill. Just the 12V motor (part no' 396505-20).

Here is the parts Diagram (Pdf). It shows it has replaceable brushes:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ima...K-2_TYPE_1.pdf

RC Competitor
    any place to buy this motor in EU? Cannot find in Germany, so maybe any other country?
    Want to avoid import from US if possible.
    E-revo, single 700HO, SPC 8000 2S2P, Novak 2S LVC

RC Racer
    Some more things:
    As I already mentioned, the motor came with a pressed pinion. I do not have a dremel tool, so to take it off, I used a small hand metal saw (I was sawing the pinion , all the way very close to the motor's shaft).

I also had to solder the capacitors, to prevent glitches...

Another thing- as Cwczx3 showed in his thread - the motor needs a small adjustment to fit the large motor mount holes in the e-revo's mount (see picture):

I used a 5$ needle file set, to enlarge the holes (and to make a flat space on the round shaft, so i would be able to screw the pinion to it).

After the adjustment, it looks like this:

with the screws on, it looks like this:

and after mounting it on the car's mount, it looks like this (yup, I needed to use some spacers to line up the pinion and the spur ):

As you can see - it all required some work. I really hope it will all worth it...
    Saturday - the test drive (!)
    Last edited by billyboy; 02-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    any place to buy this motor in EU? Cannot find in Germany, so maybe any other country?
    Want to avoid import from US if possible.
    don't know about EU, but it is also sold on:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...396505-20.html

And I know they ship internationally. The reason I didn't buy it there was that their shipping was expensive (about 38$ to my country), and I didn't find the replaceable brushes in their site.

RC Racer
    O.K, First impression from the few rides I had in the last days:
    This motor is strong! it as tons of torque. More than anything I have seen until now...
    I geared it at 19/65, and I was bashing on low grass. It runs pretty fast, but after 10 minutes of bashing it got very hot (100-120 F), so i had to let it cool down a bit.
    I think i will gear it down back to 19/68, Like I used to have with the 700 Ho. It will be a bit cooler, and maybe i will not have to watch the temps all the time...

RC Racer
    I wonder if the same motor will fit the old emaxx.

RC Qualifier
    i also have this motor i dont need to change my brushes but i bought a set when i got my motor... but how do you change the brushes i cant see how to get them out
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Racer
    Hold the motor upside down (bottom up) and just slide them from the center - > out

RC Racer
    And here is a small illustration: (Cwczx3's Picture)

Hope that helps..

RC Qualifier
    Lol, billyboy 120F is very cool for a motor running 10 minutes in grass.
    200 degrees is the max temperature for the motor. You should not have to worry about temperatures at all with 4 cell lipos. I only experienced some overheating when I tried 17 cell nimh.

Hope this helps you out.

RC Racer
    Just a small update:
    I now have 10 full runs (25 minutes each).Not much - but still - this motor is great !
    The brushes looks new !
    On 19/65 gearing it got a bit hot after 10 minutes of hard Bashing - so I geared 19/68 and now it stays under 120F even on a very hard bashing session (I use it with enerlands 5100 25C Lipos).
    Its is very Durable and in my opinion- at 25$ this motor gives "the most bang for the buck"!
    For anyone who tries to find it - look for its part number (396505-20), or the drill's number - Dewalt DW980. Good luck guys...

RC Competitor
    If I didnt JUST get a 700HO id be trying this motor.
    I still might get one anyways..
    Im warning you!

RC Racer
    I just purchased 2 Dewalt motors for 22 bucks each. I also purchased a pinion puller from fleabay. I hope this thing will fit my Emaxx 3906 also. What type of pinion gear should I purchase?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by countyemaxx
    I just purchased 2 Dewalt motors for 22 bucks each. I also purchased a pinion puller from fleabay. I hope this thing will fit my Emaxx 3906 also. What type of pinion gear should I purchase?
    Don't use the pinion puller! I tried it once on a motor aswell and the pinion was on really tight and the entire shaft popped out of the motor...

I reccomend cutting it on 2 sides with a dremel as close to the shaft as possible, then it should just pop off with a pair of pliers.

RC poster
    Just wanted pass along a 20% off coupon that I used on Sears to order the Dewalt Motor & extra brushes.

Coupon (scroll down to find 20% off coupon @ searspartsdirect.com): http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sears.com

Or here is the code: 80015

Link to Dewalt Motor at Sears ($21.63): http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...hopping%20cart

Link to Brushes at Sears: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...supplierId=900

Enjoy!

RC Racer
    Wow, that;s a pretty good deal. Too bad I purchased mine last week already.

RC Qualifier
    Kool thanks for the coupon code.
    ~Gage~
    E-Revo E-Maxx Stampede Slash Amsoil=)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mygiotto
    Just wanted pass along a 20% off coupon that I used on Sears to order the Dewalt Motor & extra brushes.

Coupon (scroll down to find 20% off coupon @ searspartsdirect.com): http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sears.com

Or here is the code: 80015

Link to Dewalt Motor at Sears ($21.63): http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...hopping%20cart

Link to Brushes at Sears: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...supplierId=900

Enjoy!
    Im warning you!

RC poster
    Yeah i ordered one and the motor was on back order so hopefully i will see it this year. Its cheap enough not to care. Thanks again for the coupon code.
    e-revo 5605- stock
    www.fastrcbatteries.com

RC poster
    I ordered one from Sears in January and it was on backorder but during the checkout process they tell you the expected ship date for the backordered item. And I received the motor a few days after the expected ship date, so I was happy with their service..

So much so, that I just placed another order a few days ago and the backorder notice said it would ship on 3/9 (a little over a week from now).

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered the DeWalt motor, I also have an 18Volt DeWalt motor but I might use that for my E-Maxx.
    Thanks again for the coupon code.
    ~Gage~
    E-Revo E-Maxx Stampede Slash Amsoil=)

RC Racer
    I want to order brushes for my Dewalt motor but not sure if the part number for the left and right brushes are the same.

RC Competitor
    What about the 775 from the summit? I put it in my erevo and it has tons of torque and great runtime, but I need to gear it more. The only 5mm pinion I had was a 17 tooth. I want to run a 22 tooth, thats is what I had on it with the stock motors and it worked great. what do you think? I think I should get more runtime, speed, and torque from stock.

RC Qualifier
    i have a 775 motor from a ryobi drill and its not as fast or has as much torque as my dewalt. honestly if you looking for a great brushed motor dewalt is the only way to go.
    -Rustler VXL widefront
    -E-REVO
    -RC18

RC Racer
    Hey BillyBoy, where did you connect the wires to on the Dewalt motor? The terminals at the bottom of the motor are too small. If you can, please post some pictures. Thanks a bunch.

RC Racer
    You are right they are small but I can vouch for the fact that you can get 12awg wire only the small tabs no problem.
    E-RevoMMM2200
    Revo3.3MMM2200
    EB48/HW2650

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by countyemaxx
    Hey BillyBoy, where did you connect the wires to on the Dewalt motor? The terminals at the bottom of the motor are too small. If you can, please post some pictures. Thanks a bunch.
    Sure - no problem
    Here are some pics. Some of the pictures are not mine - but I am sure the person who took them - will not mind. I am not inventing anything here, just trying to help

Just one word about the capacitors - as you can see they are soldered to the motor can.
    The cons- in order to take off the brushes - I must "unsolder" them, and only than - I can replace brushes (2 minutes of work).
    The pros - zero radio "glitshes".
    Hope that helps...
    Billyboy

RC Racer
    Thanks dude.

RC Racer
    just got my dewalt last night, going to my LHS this morning to get the gearing I need, then start the install.
    looking forward to this, just disappointed that I'm so busy this weekend, limited time to build or play :-(

I'm wondering what everyone is doing for the wiring to the motor. I've read a two different options on this, run both into the terminal, the other option, was to run one to the terminal, and cap the other.
    is it the same either way?

RC poster

DeWalt in UK

@ Gregor.
    I foun them on http://www.parts4tools.co.uk/ for sending outside UK just contact them-im waiting for answer from them.Good luck!
    Gretzz!

RC poster

DeWalt 579724-03 EU

Quote Originally Posted by MartinPL
    @ Gregor.
    I foun them on http://www.parts4tools.co.uk/ for sending outside UK just contact them-im waiting for answer from them.Good luck!
    Gretzz!
    They are also here:
    http://www.besserer-baumarkt.de/nbms...?PageNo=FRAMES
    E-revo- Single DeWalt-2xPQ5100Rxp

RC poster
    Hey guys! New kid on the rc block! I find this thread most interesting but two notes: 1. the pictures are blocked 2. ok,I will cut off the factory pinion but how will I install the new one? If you could re-publish the fotos it would outstanding!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast