RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Exclamation Need help talking to boss

Hey guys. I just got a borderline upsetting email from my boss.

It read:

"Luke,

You are officially on my (curse word for poop) list. I've been cussed out by two people in two days now by people you special ordered parts for and didn't check the availabilty. DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN!!

Mike"

For those of you who don't know, I'm 17 and I work at Hobby Town. Do you think this was an appropriate email for him to send? Should he have made it less angry?

What I really want to know is how to respond to this. I've been working for longer than half the time the store has been open. I've seen nearly 10 people get fired for various reasons. I have made very, very few mistakes and he's told me before that I'm the only 17 year old he would trust his store key to. Only one person has worked there longer than me, and he's been there since day one. How do I apologize exactly? He's never been mad at me before...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Go and admit your mistakes. Obviously he kept you around because he trusts you and his other option could have shown you the door for the last time.
    Don't make excuses, own up to what you did, apologize, chalk this up as a learning experience and make an effort to see what went wrong and don't make the mistake again. You have to earn back his trust and it will be pretty hard now.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    "They call it paradise I don't know why...
    Just say that you will check in the future and you apologize. I suggest you contact the customers if he is okay with that.
    Porsche wins 24 hours of Daytona for the 21st time

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah...I know I made a mistake. He's made me feel as though I did something to hurt the store on purpose though...

I've been encountering a lot of really angry customers lately. I got yelled at by a guy who's son wanted to race, but his frequency was already being used. He acted like it was my fault. Why do adults think it's okay to yell at kids they don't even know?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    "They call it paradise I don't know why...
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    Yeah...I know I made a mistake. He's made me feel as though I did something to hurt the store on purpose though...

I've been encountering a lot of really angry customers lately. I got yelled at by a guy who's son wanted to race, but his frequency was already being used. He acted like it was my fault. Why do adults think it's okay to yell at kids they don't even know?
    That is the time to upsell him on a set of new crystals or a DX3R.
    Porsche wins 24 hours of Daytona for the 21st time

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche917
    That is the time to upsell him on a set of new crystals
    I did. He got mad and yelled at me.

But that's beside the point. Am I as bad as I seem from this email? I feel like total garbage right now. Mike and I have always gotten along.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Tell your boss your sorry and go on with life. He was probaly haveing a bad day.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    He acted like it was my fault. Why do adults think it's okay to yell at kids they don't even know?
    It's not so much that your a "Kid".....You've (At that point) become the "Enemy"......Is it right? Probably not.........

I don't know how many Teens I've yelled at because my pizza order wasn't right...... (even though it wasn't the drivers fault)....Take it in stride, we all have had to deal with jerks on our first lame jobs!
    Over Spring Sports...Go NFL!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargers Fan
    It's not so much that your a "Kid".....You've (At that point) become the "Enemy"......Is it right? Probably not.........

I don't know how many Teens I've yelled at because my pizza order wasn't right...... (even though it wasn't the drivers fault)....Take it in stride, we all have had to deal with jerks on our first lame jobs!
    My job is far from lame my friend!!
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk
    All I can say is if a customer cusses you out or is angry with you, and you tried your best, send an email to your boss explaining it and say he might get a call about it.
    NOBAMA '08 Welcome to the Greatest Dprsn.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here's my reply:

Mike,

I'm really sorry. I know I've had a couple of screw ups the past couple weeks or so and I know I can do better. I went so long without doing anything terribly stupid and I promise to get back on that track Thursday night.

Sincerely,
    Luke

Is that sufficient you think? I'm not any good at this.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G
    Go and admit your mistakes. Obviously he kept you around because he trusts you and his other option could have shown you the door for the last time.
    Don't make excuses, own up to what you did, apologize, chalk this up as a learning experience and make an effort to see what went wrong and don't make the mistake again. You have to earn back his trust and it will be pretty hard now.
    Being a 30 year old adult, this is the best advice by far. It seems to me that you know what you did, why it was wrong, and how to prevent it from happening again. Make sure that your boss is aware of the fact that you know better and made a mistake.

The biggest thing that you can do is be a man about it. Suck it up and drive on, at least that's what we say in the Army. As for offering to call the customers, I think that's a great idea. That way you are letting the customers know where their parts are, as they shouldn't get as mad, and they have the option of canceling their orders as well (hope they don't as then you are are stuck with oddball parts).

Hopefully your boss will appreciate you taking the initiative to go the extra mile and try to make things right on your own. Also, keep in mind that your boss is a person, and people do have bad days.
    I don't have a witty signature.

RC Champion
    Mike,

I just wanted to send you a quick email to apologize for these recent mistakes that I made. I was curious if we could meet with at your convenience to discuss this issue, and let you know that I will make sure that this doesn't happen again. I do take pride in my job, and value your feedback. Please let me know when you have some time to meet. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

RustlerRacer16

Then, as these guys above have said, man up and say your sorry you made these mistakes, and that you do truly value the job he has given you, and you will make sure they don't happen again. The next thing to do is MAKE SURE THEY DON"T HAPPEN AGAIN! Especially if you are saying that it won't, back it up. Show him that you will work on it. You'll come out of this with a lot of respect from your boss. If not, then he is the dummy. Good luck....let us know how it goes.
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Champion
    Ok first of all your boss is the jerk, not you. If you screwed up fine, but he should come and calmly deal with you to your face, not in an e-mail. Anyone who deals with employees in this manner doesn't need to be in management. Just because your 17 doesn't give him the right to talk to you like that.

I've had bad days and I have never taken it out on my guys. That's bull. If I have a problem with one of my guys I talk to them face to face. I'm not excusing your screw up, but the way he handled it is one of my pet peeves. I've worked for several people like that, and it's one of the reasons why I started my own business.

Just my two cents, but I would say, "Look, I know I screwed up but my record here speaks for itself. I'll make sure I don't do it again. And if you have a problem with me come let me know or you can find someone else to do my job."

I guess it's the e-mail thing that gets to me. It's a chicken ___ thing to do.
    Rant over.
    2nd Annual Steve Raddatz Memorial Race pm me

RC Champion
    Lost & Found on the intersection of Walk & Don't Walk
    Dumplin: Maybe his boss is out of town or works the graveyard shift. Maybe his boss has more than one hobby shop and was stuck working at another. I personally don't think the boss did anything wrong cuase sometimes that "hardness" is what straightens the employee up. (generally speaking).
    NOBAMA '08 Welcome to the Greatest Dprsn.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    i think he was jsut frustrated. what you did is nowhere near as bad as some work msitakes i have made. used to work at walmart tle and make some mistakes. several times the drawer came up short cause i accidentally hit the wrong numbers and didnt realize it til lit was too late. and my biggest msitake was when i told a customer the vehicle wasnt ready. well as it turns out the work had been done. end result. the owner got free work done ot the vehicle. in al lthe cases i amde the mistake. store manager at the hobbytown i used to work at made a mistake not too long ago. bought some parts and he accidentally put one of the items in anotehr persons bag. as for checking availability i gree. jsut double check that a part can be ordered before placing an order.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

With economic things the way that they are, he might be stressing a little. My local Hobby Town USA just closed last month due to not being able to cover the overhead. Tell him you made a mistake and ask how to better handle ths situation next time. Wait a while till things cool off and tell him that you didn't appericate the way he handeled the situation. Or just give him the link to this thread and we'll tell him...

Emails are not the way to deliver this message. Your bosses email, despite how it was intended to be sent and read, will be interpreted differently by each person who reads it. Your boss is a paper tiger, and not a very good one at that. Why reply in an email? Plan your approach and talk to him one on one. Otherwise, you run the risk of your email being misinterpreted as well. One bit of advice- don't offer excuses- offer solutions. Also- know that you have to work for good and bad bosses- you must learn from each one. One day when you re the boss, apply what you have learned and be one of the good ones!
    Last edited by Ikester; 02-12-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Sic 'em on a chicken!

RC Racer
    I think this whole thing got blown way out of proportion. As a business owner myself, I can tell you that this guy has stress more than you know. With the way the economy is right now you are lucky to have a job at all. I'd just call it water under the bridge and move on. Do your best and show him that you are worth your paycheck.

RC Champion
    My only input is to say that it's inappropriate for a boss to swear at his subordinates.
    That is completely out of line. Putting it in writing is pretty stupid, too.

A person never knows what will happen to the things that are written down.

RC Champion
    as a boss... it is mandatory to have a verbal warning. next should be written.
    which is pretty much what u have just recieved...
    the next one he has full grounds to dismiss u from ur duty.
    as for the cuss word.... although unprofessional, is allowed because he did not make derogatory statment towards u.
    he stated u are on his bad list. he did not say u were bad.... there is a fine line... and i am sorry... but he has not crossed it.....
    been there bought that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm sure he's stressed. However we are doing quite well despite the economy. We are the number one new Hobby Town this year. Topping the sales charts several weeks in the past year. There also aren't any other stores, yet.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Traxxas Employee captainharlock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikester
    Emails are not the way to deliver this message. Your bosses email, despite how it was intended to be sent and read, will be interpreted differently by each person who reads it. Your boss is a paper tiger, and not a very good one at that. Why reply in an email? Plan your approach and talk to him one on one. Otherwise, you run the risk of your email being misinterpreted as well. One bit of advice- don't offer excuses- offer solutions. Also- know that you have to work for good and bad bosses- you must learn from each one. One day when you re the boss, apply what you have learned and be one of the good ones!
    I'd follow this advice.
    Terminal is not the end, only the beginning...

Boone722
    ^^^ Yep good choice so far.Are you sure the email was from him and not another employee?maybe a joke.Anyhow go to him like was said and talk face to face and explain your side.Be sure to tell him where you stand on the situation.And reassure him you are his go to guy within the company.Remember he must have to answer to someone also.I think him sending you a email is a poor choice of telling you that he has a problem with your performance.But again he is in charge.But stand tall and tell him it will never happen again.Good Luck and keep us posted.

RC Champion
    talk first then respond with a e-mail to confirm and clarify ur conversation...
    that way you have written confirmation that the issue was handled and have proof if the need be
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    as a boss... it is mandatory to have a verbal warning. next should be written.
    which is pretty much what u have just recieved...
    the next one he has full grounds to dismiss u from ur duty.
    as for the cuss word.... although unprofessional, is allowed because he did not make derogatory statment towards u.
    he stated u are on his bad list. he did not say u were bad.... there is a fine line... and i am sorry... but he has not crossed it.....
    LOL, not every company has a structure like this. South Carolina, (just like Texas) is a "right to work" state. His boss doesn't need to give a warning of any kind. He can be released from work without so much as an explanation. But, the fact the kid has seen lot's of other employee's come and go, and he's still there, speaks for itself. He must not do too bad at the job. I do agree though, that the email was tacky, as was the response. The kid needs to man up and talk to the boss behind closed doors, with no distractions. Admit the mistake, shake hands and get back to selling parts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. Clean
    Dumplin: Maybe his boss is out of town or works the graveyard shift. Maybe his boss has more than one hobby shop and was stuck working at another. I personally don't think the boss did anything wrong cuase sometimes that "hardness" is what straightens the employee up. (generally speaking).
    I thought of this too, but regardless I think it's an inapropriate way to handle it. If he was out of town then he could have called at least.

But, the fact the kid has seen lot's of other employee's come and go, and he's still there, speaks for itself. He must not do too bad at the job. I do agree though, that the email was tacky, as was the response. The kid needs to man up and talk to the boss behind closed doors, with no distractions. Admit the mistake, shake hands and get back to selling parts.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    2nd Annual Steve Raddatz Memorial Race pm me

RC Champion
    I have worked my fair share of middle management. (Thats managers above me and managers below me.) You should never ever swear or demean your subordinates. Things do happen. Its part of business and part of life. I would fire a manager under me on the spot for treating an employee this way. I'd be on the phone with my bosses boss or just walk out if my boss did that to me.

I understand that most people either like thier job, can't afford to quit, or can't find something else out there. If you are ok with him treating you like that then someone need to have a talk with him.

There are two ways to lead. By fear and intimidation or by example. I prefer the latter. Both are effective but only will will have you employees see you through the tough times when you really need them.

A little story and food for though:

I used to work at a CD/DVD manufacturing plant and there was this really mean floor supervisor inthe neighboring dept. His shifts had the best productivity by the way. I was told a story about him. At the plant we had regular employees and an ever changing ammount of expendable to fill labor demands. Well one day there was a new temp guy that was having a hard time and not keeping up with the line (first day on job). Well the floor supervisor felt that he needed one of his lets call them "not-nice pep talks". Well about halfway through the temps mother (working on the other line) comes up behind after the supervisor with spindle. A spindle is kinda like the rack your 100 cd packs come on but about 3 lbs and made of aluminum and steel. Well my storyteller just happened to be there and tackles the mother right before she delives the head blow from behind. The mother did go to jail. The temp got fired. The storyteller got his transfer to my dept, at the time, so he could one day tell me the story. Nothing happened to the supervisor.

I see two things in this.

You should be kind to people. You never know who is watching.

"the nail that sticks out gets hammered" -Japanese proverb
    Last edited by OCD RC; 02-13-2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

Your boss is not going to keep valued employess who are an asset to his business if he responds with cursing and belittling his employees.

Maybe he was having a bad day. But if it persists, do not stoop to his level, stay professional, apologise for any mistakes to his face, follow up with an email as many companies use emails as documentation for their actions.

If it happens again, maybe you should just look for another job cause obviously his people skills and management skills need some work. Just remember the economy is really bad and will get worse before it gets better. Your boss is trying to keep the bills paid and his employees paid as well as earn a living himself. Very stressful times. But that is no excuse for his actions IMHO.

He should remember that you praise your employees in public, counsel them in private. Coaching for Excellence was one of the best coarses I ever took and yes I am in a Directorship role where I work....

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall