RC Enthusiast

To All Us Oldtimers.....

As a kid I used to have a Cox car (no romote controls just crank it and let it go) and even a couple airplanes that you held on to a string. As I was breaking in my Revo sunday smelling the same exhaust smells that the old Cox models had, it brought back a lot of good memories.
    Did any one else ever notice this.....or have have I been smelling too many fumes???? LOL

RC Enthusiast
    Ha! I had one of those airplanes that you had small handle with 2 strings attached to the controls on the plane. You spun around in a circle and you could make it go up and down only. No throttle control so you'd spin around until it was out of fuel or you fell down from being dizzy. I'll never forget the first time that engine fired up! My first RC cars were the kind that had 2 buttons only. One made it go (forward only) and the other made it turn (LEFT ONLY)!!

RC Champion
    Yea U-control. Had lots of them! Cox
    .049's and the mini bee with the fuel tank on the mill...
    First car I had was some sort of dragster that ran down a string. Remember that one?
    Last edited by IndianJim; 02-12-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    8ight-T\XRay-B\3.3RaceRevo\OS.18BashRevo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo57
    My first RC cars were the kind that had 2 buttons only. One made it go (forward only) and the other made it turn (LEFT ONLY)!!
    I had one of those, but it had a wire connecting the radio to the car, I had to follow it around so I can't say it was really radio controlled. It was more like wire controlled I never had the Cox airplanes but I lived very close to the school and there was an older kid that had one and whenever I would hear him fly it in the school yard, I'd run out and watch him. My very first hobby grade RC was a Kyosho Assault.
    send $10 at paypal.me/Ray1964

RC Qualifier
    my first hobby grade rc car was a trinity street spec (carpet racer) i loved that thing, all electric all stock power... that was back in 95 i think...
    even back then the electric cars went about 35 mph
    !!!IF IT AIN'T REVO IT AINT WORTH IT!!!

RC Competitor
    i had a cox dune buggy and a cox matador stock car,havent thought about those in a long time,thanx

RC Champion
    I am really dating myself here, but this is what I was talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cox-Eliminator-1...ntrol_Vehicles

http://cgi.ebay.com/COX-GAS-POWERED-...3A1%7C294%3A50

RC Champion
    OH yeh!!! I recalled all the airplanes I crashed even on the strings

RC Enthusiast
    LOL.....Too funny. Yea, I had a Cox Volkswagon Beetle. I really loved that car......

RC Qualifier
    wow you guys are old!!!! hahahaha i remember them but they were WAY outdated even when i was a kid and im 25 yrs old hahahaha

RC Enthusiast
    Keep laughing sonny boy and I'll run over your toes with my Revo......LOL

RC Qualifier
    I had a cox air car , teather it jack the prop and just stand there and watch it go round and round holy crap how things have advanced.

RC Racer
    I also had the Cox VW Bug. I had so much fun tearing the thing apart and putting it back together. I could never get the hang of the string control planes. I crashed so many within the first 3 or 4 turns it isn't funny.
    Original Maxx with RPM wide arms, big bore shocks and 2.5R, Revo with P2's and stock Jato

RC Qualifier
    KOL, then ill run over your revo with my PE... OH!
    j/k how old are you guys...?
    wait... im sorry, how YOUNG are you guys, haha

RC Racer
    I had a biplane with the pee-wee .020 on it boy it was so slow in the air.. and the heavy plastic p51 type plane with the .049. and the built on reed valve/fuel tank.had a cox car that you put a string onto and the little thing made you dizzy..lol and the sweet smell of castor oil. still love that smell then the round huge (very tall) 1.2 volt battery with the clip and the long red wires..

man that was a long time ago
    *Bash Bash Bash* repair/repeat

RC Champion
    When my dad and grandpa first seen my revo they were talking about back when my dad was a kid and my grandpa bought them both a couple of those Cox Planes.
    What shall I put here?

I had a cox atc 3 wheeler it even had a pull starter on it Remember the .049 helicopters you would start them up and they never would fly I remember the best r/c truck I had as a kid the the Johnny Express it was remote control not radio control

I have 2 now
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Champion
    Here ya go. I got boots yall's age

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXbKJjQPVk

RC Qualifier
    hahah awesome video jim. makes me think of the tv show wonder years.... hahahaha.... what would you dooo if i sang out of tune....???? hahah
    great vid, glad to see some people hold onto things like that

RC Champion
    Wow if I had one of those I would get dizzy and fall down and take out somebody with the plane haha.

Check out the engine, really shows how far our hobby has came.
    http://www.modelenginenews.org/rsch/images/sst-2.jpg
    What shall I put here?

RC Enthusiast
    All these memories are coming back now......remember the battery clip you had to slide onto the head of the motor?
    This has been fun reading everyone's comments from "the old days"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianJim
    Here ya go. I got boots yall's age

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXbKJjQPVk
    Same plane I had. Did everyone end up seeing how far it would go on its own as its final demise??

My other two favorites - the Whirliebird helicopter and Stompers (the little 4x4 double A battery trucks).

http://cgi.ebay.com/STOMPER-SCHAPER-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Things would climb over anything. But if you got one caught in your sisters hair, look out. Dad is breaking the belt out.
    Last edited by Mojo57; 02-12-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Same plane I had. Did everyone end up seeing how far it would go on its own as its final demise??

My other two favorites - the Whirliebird helicopter and Stompers (the little 4x4 double A battery trucks).

http://cgi.ebay.com/STOMPER-SCHAPER-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Things would climb over anything. But if you got one caught in your sisters hair, look out. Dad is breaking the belt out.
    I don't think it would go very far because the rudder was turned a little to the right to keep the line tight

LOL...You could mod the rear rudder and it would fly pretty straight.

I had one go probably 1/8th of a mile into a corn field and was able to launch it again after we found it.

Good memories...
    Remember the cold fingers trying to get them started?
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    I had the Cox Dune Buggy, the Dragster, a Chapperal (ran on a string like the dragster), and a P-51 plane. My hero was a guy that lived across the river from us. He would build his own line control planes with huge engines on them. He had at least 200 feet of line and could make those things loop and figure eight in the air. It would draw quite a crowd on my side of the river when he was flying.
    Some days it doesn't seem worth chewing through the restraints.

RC Competitor
    Stompers (the little 4x4 double A battery trucks).
    i remember those little 4x4 there were awesome my older brother had one and would'nt let me play with it.
    REVO4LIFE

RC Champion
    omg Im getting old

RC Qualifier
    I feel like i'm visting the group home! sorry guys i had to say it...... i have a lot of respect for you older guys...
    Race when i want and where i want.......

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead racer
    I feel like i'm visting the group home! sorry guys i had to say it...... i have a lot of respect for you older guys...
    geee your "SWELL" Gearhead

RC Qualifier
    Turning 35 next Tues., I never had a cox plane or car....but I can show what got me hooked.

Used to race a JRX-T when I was in high school, I'm not far behind you "older" fellas, older means wiser as far as I am concerned.
    Keep the greasy side down!

RC Qualifier
    My mother told me this once.... "son , we are not dumb like you think we are. Remember we are a lot older than you are which means we did it first so sit there and think about that oh...give your borthers toy back back before i beat your *** "
    Last edited by Gearhead racer; 02-12-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Race when i want and where i want.......

RC Racer
    I had a Corsair and a P51D Mustang u-control and the cox dragster too. My friend had the funny car version. We'd go to the shopping center on Sundays (back when stores were closed) and nail the string to the wood in the expansion joint. Remember the bead on the string that released the parachute??

RC Racer
    I'm gonna check this weekend, but I bet some of that stuff is still in the closet in my old room at my mom's house. I'll post some pics if they are.

RC Qualifier
    this is pretty cool reading about this stuff. i'm quite the rooky compared to some of you guys, at a ripe old age of 17, but what got me started in rc's was my Dad's old blackfoot. i love that thing.
    we also found an old cox plane in the workshop from my Dad's days in control line. looks kinda like an old mustang plane, blue plastic fuesalage, yellow wings?. didn't know the cox engines very well, but i tore it down and have it working like new, gotta find something to strap it to now. that thing was so gummed up from sitting all those years...lol. those engines are pretty cool even for thier age. this is pretty cool to read about guys, keep posting your stories.
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Champion
    When I was boy I had to walk 25 miles in the rain up steep hills in the dark to fetch my nitro

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    LOL...You could mod the rear rudder and it would fly pretty straight.

I had one go probably 1/8th of a mile into a corn field and was able to launch it again after we found it.

Good memories...
    Remember the cold fingers trying to get them started?
    Before they had radio control they would fly the planes free flight they would launch them and see how far it would fly some would fly several miles

I remember the Estes rockets great fun

RC Qualifier
    Love this thread

RC Qualifier
    o.k. here goes.

35 years of fun, fun, fun.

Started off with planes, learning to fly by trial and error....the old cox pee wee and cox baby bee (and yes the tiny fuel tank was on the tiny engine) and free flight. About two minutes air time and 3 or 4 hours trying to find it again.

Control lines, fun but boring....until you get to combat CL, two people in the middle, planes at opposite sides of the circle to start with, you have to try and cut a tail streamer as short as possible with as many cuts as possible to win. Most times ends up in crossed lines and dead models (they are very cheaply made)

Then we progressed to free flying R/C kits. Many crashes, lots of glue, plywood airframes instead of balsa (and bigger engines to keep them up) before we had it figured out.

Progressed to r/c stunters....woo hoooo.

Always wanted a Mardave Marauder, the "first" offroad nitro car, never got one though - had to settle for electric, 7.2v battery pack (with all its weight), mabucci 540 electric motor and a dirty great resistor for speed control and braking.

Nitro boat on the river, we had to run downstream to catch it if the motor stalled.

Super efficient slope soarer gliders, fly in very low wind or really strong wind, to the limit of your sight/spatial orientation, great fun until I dove too deep and tried to pull a loop (wings folded at about 400ft), took a while for it to hit the ground (the bits are still in a bag for one day).

Planes with skis off the snow and floats off the water....now that brings in the crowds to watch.

Helicopters (self destruct when you get it wrong) really expensive, didn't last long.

Then the Revo.......

My first nitro car......knew diddly squat about nitro cars but saw the engineering and the tuning possibilities.........bought it, love it.

I've got a wireless camera to put on it but need time to get around to it (will post video when ready)

How things have progressed.....

Cox 0.049 engines to jet engines

Mabucchi 540 motors to brushless earth magnet motors

Resistor speed control to electric speed control

Tethered flight to free flight

Kids.....well at least they stayed the same (no matter how old they are )