Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Getting a brand new revo 3.3

Ok y'all, as the title says I'm getting a brand new revo 3.3. Just wondering what y'all thought about it, and what upgrades I should do. Thank you y'all for the info.

RC Racer
    I think it's a Losi, but there's a nice metal carb upgrade you can do that will eliminate the expanding plastic carb problem. There's also a piston and sleeve upgrade too... Google is your friend here

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ExCabSwap View Post
    I think it's a Losi, but there's a nice metal carb upgrade you can do that will eliminate the expanding plastic carb problem. There's also a piston and sleeve upgrade too... Google is your friend here

Sent from my LG

That helps a lot. There's a reason why he came to the forums to ask

The Revo is a pretty stout truck as is so upgrade as you go. Most people get RPM arms (I didn't, I've broken only one arm in six years), change the tires to some Prolines and do some cosmetic things here and there; stay away from Integy! To wake the engine up, many install a Losi 3.4 carb (which is composite, not metal) which has a bigger throat than the stock composite carb (which is not plastic and does not have an expanding problem - it is debated to be smaller than necessary for the 3.3 as it came from the 2.5 engine. If you research you'll see that some Losi owners put the Traxxas carb on their engines and some of their reported problems went away - odd huh?). On top of that you can put a THS pipe on and the engine will really haul.

If this is your first nitro, take time to learn how to tune and get extra glow plugs.
    The Super Derecho

I love mine! I got it way back in 2007 and while I had an issue with my stock 3.3 engine, the truck as a whole is a beast! I definitely recommend the RPM tru-trac rear arms. These eliminate the need for the rear toe links (they tend to get damaged during hard landings).

I ran my truck stock (except the engine) for about a year before heavily modifying with TeknoRC parts. They make great parts along with RPM.

Have fun!
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC Racer
    I'm also getting a Revo 3.3. It's still on the way. I'm pretty excited as this is my first nitro. People are saying that the 3.3 is hard to tune. Is this true guys?

If you have never messed with nitro there will be a learning curve. Luckily there's plenty of videos and tutorials to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for all the info guys, this will be my second nitro. I had a nitro rustler way back when they had the 2.5 motors out. I have alays wanted a revo since they first came out with the 2.5 I believe. I was wondering what the true track did. Anyone have a little more info on the true track? Is the losi carb really wake up the 3.3 motor along with a new pipe?

True Track eliminates the rear toe link and has a preset toe. As I mentioned,the Losi carb and a pipe will help the engine breathe better.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't know the true track eliminated the rear toe link. I just might have to get that since my lhs has the true track stuff. Nd that's great to know, I will see how it goes when I finally pay her off.

RC Racer
    It is pretty good stock, but at double g said. A pipe and carb will do you wonders, but keep it stock and learn it first. Just upgrade if you break it

RC Enthusiast
    I was planning on just keeping it stock for now, maybe upgrade the shocks. But I will keep it stock for now. Just wanted to see what all y'all have replaced on them. What do you guys think about upgrading the axle carriers to something a bit stronger?

The best shocks out there are the GTRs that come stock on the Revo. Axle carriers are pretty strong too.

It's your money though.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I didnt know they where stock on the revo. Good to know, one less thing I will upgrade down the road.

RC poster
    I just got my revo today for my birthday. I'm getting back into the hobby. It's been a long time for rc cars for me. My last one was my Stampede way back in the late 90's!. 1st tank down on the break in process, 4 more to go!

Nitroman, I hope you enjoy your new addition as well

RC Competitor
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I would recommend the rear wing for sure, it will keep the truck from flipping back and also adds a lot of protection for when you do flip over. I am not a fan of how the wing looks on my truck but always have it on regardless. Enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I'm hoping to have it here very soon. Just have 3 more 79 dollar payments and a 39 and it's mine. Can't wait though. I might just put a wheelie bar on there just to help support the back end and to help it from not flipping.

RC Racer
    I'd just keep it stock as well starting out. The shocks that come on it are some of the best I've ever used. They don't leak and are very smooth. The carb works pretty good and like Double G said if you look up Losi forums you'll see guys that used to run the old Losi 3.4 engine were putting the traxxas 3.3 carb on their 3.4 Losi engine because they thought it was better.lol
    I don't think you'll need the wheelie bar, nitros don't have the low end torque to pull wheelies much so shouldn't be a problem.
    The only upgrades I did on mine was the rear wing and sway bars. I also bypassed to opti drive because mine failed and caused runaway full throttle on me. I've had to replace the steering servos because one of the stock ones quit working and I've also had to replace the reverse servo now after two years.

I've never broke a suspension arm yet using stock but I did pull an end off of a rear toe link but I have extras of those so just installed a new link end.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    I don't think you'll need the wheelie bar, nitros don't have the low end torque to pull wheelies much so shouldn't be a problem.
    I'll disagree with this. My 3.3 was able to - especially with the Losi carb and THS pipe. Now my .21TM/THS combo has no issue throwing it up even with 16T/38T gearing. That is why I run a wing to keep it from flipping over.
    The Super Derecho

+1 ^ My OS .18TM Revo can pull wheelies with the right traction.
    Revo .18TM
    BL Rustler
    Stampede
    HPI Sprint 2

RC Enthusiast
    I will probably keep it stock till I break something, I don't really like the looks of a wing. So I will probably go with the wheelie bar. I heard about the away arms, I just don't know if it will be a good fit for me yet till I get it and see how it does.

RC Enthusiast
    Only 138 more dollars left on her to pay off then she's officially mine.

RC Qualifier
    Nitroman,

Dont worry too much about upgrades, carbs, wings or anything like that right now.
    I would suggest sticking with the break-in procedure, and learning control of the vehicle.

Set your throttle so that you only run 3/4 max throttle while your learning its capabilities.

Concentrate on tuning, and be aware that he altitude has an affect on this.
    Once you feel comfortable enough that you can handle it on WOT's, then go for it.

Be careful, they hit hard at speed, and can seriously hurt, or damage someone/something.

I had a Revo 3.3 for many years, the only thing i ever did was change to RPM arms... probably the best in the business.

Enjoy !
    Bashing is my business.. and business is Good !

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for the info slimore, I really appreciate it. Thank you everyone for the info

RC Racer
    Hello all! I too am looking to buy a new Revo 3.3. Traxxas is out of stock and Tower hobbies says discontinued. Do you think Traxxas is about to release an "updated version"? Perhaps Ill wait to see what happens...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    Hello all! I too am looking to buy a new Revo 3.3. Traxxas is out of stock and Tower hobbies says discontinued. Do you think Traxxas is about to release an "updated version"? Perhaps Ill wait to see what happens...
    They will probably not. They are just out of stock. As far as I know they sell really good so that might be why. I just bought a Revo a few weeks ago.
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM
    Revo 3.3

The updates since going back to the 5309** number has been tires/rims and radio; the latter causing the model number changes. Otherwise it has remained largely unchanged since then.

As for Tower, they are no longer selling Traxxas products so find another source or better yet, visit your hobby shop!
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Finally getting my revo today, can't wait to get it going and out of the box this morning

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The updates since going back to the 5309** number has been tires/rims and radio; the latter causing the model number changes. Otherwise it has remained largely unchanged since then.

As for Tower, they are no longer selling Traxxas products so find another source or better yet, visit your hobby shop!
    You bring up a great point of supporting the local Hobby Shop! That is what I'll do! I'm surprised that a dealer would STOP carrying traxxas tho??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pontiacHP View Post
    You bring up a great point of supporting the local Hobby Shop! That is what I'll do! I'm surprised that a dealer would STOP carrying traxxas tho??

Especially a model that sells so well.
    Must be some kind of behind the scenes feud we dont know about.

I dont know why its taking so long.. and possibly it is coming in 2018. But i would really like to see a new Revo Platinum.
    If i remember right it came out in 2008, making 2018 the 10yr. anniversary of it.

Come on Traxxas, show us what you got.

Enjoy Nitro, break it in proper !

Quote Originally Posted by Slimshiesty View Post
    Especially a model that sells so well.
    Must be some kind of behind the scenes feud we dont know about.
    Lawsuit(s). A thread referencing it is in the Alley.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Like I said earlier, I finally got my Revo. Went to go pair the link with the link app in my android and it won't connect even though I have my Bluetooth on in my phone?! Any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Make sure your version of android is compatible.
    Update android if need be.

Sometimes when a pair is to be made.. the devices are too close together.

I have this problem with my Altec Lansing Bluetooth speaker.
    If my phone is too close, they wont pair.
    After pairing if they are too close i get static, and sound cut out.

RC Enthusiast
    It's a brand new galaxy s8 that came out in April. I will see if the app needs to be updated. I will see if my iPhone will hook up I just need to hook it up to wifi to download the app.

RC Racer
    Well now I'm thinking maybe I should buy a new "roller" revo instead. I already have a transmitter, receiver, tires and wheels. I'd want to upgrade the engine anyway and add better servos. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Do you think it would be better to do a roller or buy complete?

RC Enthusiast
    Ok y'all, I have the traxxas id charger and bought the adapter for it and was wondering what I should charge the battery on the truck at and the ez start wand battery at? I'm currently cha thing the truck at 1 amp and was gonna charge the battery at 1 amp as well.

That's fine.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I wanted to double check and make sure all was good

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroman113 View Post
    Ok I wanted to double check and make sure all was good

So what happened Nitroman?
    Did you get the Revo going? Bluetooth? what gives ?

RC Enthusiast
    Got the Revo going, already on my third tank for break in with just two more tanks to go. Bluetooth come to find out is not capable with the s8 which sucks. Though I did have a few issues with it yesterday which where weird, but I parked it and let both batteries charge and will pick it back up hopefully Wednesday or this weekend.

RC poster
    You should take picture once you get it. Would be awesome to see it and what upgrades you end up going with too!
    Who is RC RANK?

Find out by Googling :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast