RC Qualifier

Is the economy affecting the hobby in your area?

LHS's closed, or closing.
    #1. Closed in September
    #2. Closes next weekend
    #3. Closes in 2 weeks

Nothing left within a reasonable driving distance. So Online shopping for me. I was an LHS supporter. Too bad I was in the minority. How about you guys?
    Last edited by NJT-MAXX; 02-15-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    MARBETH Racing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    none of the 4 local shops seem to be having issues that i can see. i personally have met and talked to around 50 hobby grade rc people around here. and i know there are alot more of us around here.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Qualifier
    That sounds encouraging. 2 of these are in New Jersey, and 1 is in Pennsylvania. The one in Pennsy is the only 1 of the 3 with a track. I thought that one was doing the best of the 3? Very surprised he is closing down?
    MARBETH Racing

RC Qualifier
    Nope! My local hobby shop was PACK yesterday. He opened at 10:00 and closed at 5:00.He did about $1,500-$1,650 in sales yesterday. We noticed a lot more people are picking up hobbies now since the economy is doing poorly right now. People are not going on vacations like they use to, their doing more things around the house as a family now.
    Race when i want and where i want.......

RC Qualifier
    My local shop is doing good because it the only one in around. Next closest one would be about 30 miles away.
    Team Losi, Family Hobbies, Mels shells!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by welderguy92
    My local shop is doing good because it the only one in around. Next closest one would be about 30 miles away.
    Same here with my LHS. He's located in Wellsboro PA and we have guys driving from Corning Ny,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    what helps my local shops is 3 of them kind of work together. the one with a track is not well like dby the other 2. while they allow the customer to choos ea vehicle the 4th shop tries to force you to get an associated. they are anti-traxxas yet have a 3905 emaxx poster up in the window.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Competitor
    I thought it would be, I went in two different times yesterday and both times there were other people in there. Plus its not an expensive hobby after the initial purchase price of the car.

RC Qualifier
    my LHS are doin ok heck they just opened up another one but my other hobby(muscle cars) is way down the shows have like half the cars they use to
    GOT ROOST?

RC Qualifier
    I believe most hobby shops do better in a recession than other areas of business. Because people are not traveling like they use to,staying home more often, people spending their money on thing they can do as a family and that's what is happening around my area. The bashing crowd is the main group in my area, now there are a few racers around but its many dominated by the bashing group. There was a guy and his wife in my LHS yesterday that drop over $800 into a new tmaxx, air plane and accessories for both.The hot items rite now are the new traxxas slash, newer tmaxx and the durtrax raze truggy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    We are doing great in Columbia, SC. Suddenly, we can't keep cars on the shelves. It's like Christmas all over again...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    ^^^same here in easly s.c, seems to be doing great.
    trx 450r woods rider......

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    We are doing great in Columbia, SC. Suddenly, we can't keep cars on the shelves. It's like Christmas all over again...
    +1 on that. My LHS guy got in a new tmaxx, durtrax truggy , two slashs and a case of fuel in on thursday. The truggy wentout the door thursday, the tamxx went yesterday and the slashs' problay be gone before this coming weekend and the fuel is all gone!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Is the economy affecting the hobby? Sounds like yes, the hobby is booming now. Reason? I believe it is due to nobody borrrows money for RC's which is the main thing that is killing the economy.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Champion
    Well the three closest hobby stores near me are still in business and plan on being in business for quite some time. There are plenty of R/C aviation guys around to keep them open.

Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    Reason? I believe it is due to nobody borrrows money for RC's which is the main thing that is killing the economy.
    Not entirely true. I see a lot of people putting the stuff they buy for the hobby on credit cards(yes, they are credit cards and not bank check cards/debit cards). Which is basically borrowing money.

I personally don't believe in credit cards though I do have one. If I can't afford it to use cash or check then I don't buy it.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

Don't know we don't have a hobby shop in the town I live in the only ones are in Reno 60 miles one way so it's tower hobby for me.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    Nope all 3 Hobby Peoples are open here in San Diego and the other mom and pops' as well!
    Over Spring Sports...Go NFL!!!!

RC Champion
    All the remaining ones here, including the one I work for, are holding on. Sales suck right now, but fortunately, not much worse than normal this time of the year (it is February in Chicago after all )

Quote Originally Posted by hascet
    I thought it would be, I went in two different times yesterday and both times there were other people in there. Plus its not an expensive hobby after the initial purchase price of the car.
    Radio System $280.00 +
    High Torque High speed digital servos $110.00 + (300 Oz torque)
    High quality chassis $150.00 +
    Ti hingepins
    High quality bearings

I'm just touching the surface here. Yes, if you stay stock you can keep it inexpensive, but if you get serious about your hobby it can definitely empty a bank account quickly..

Back on topic. My favorite LHS closed Last November. Southeast RC Hobbies.... Lack of supervision and judgement + bad economy... They used to have the best service and really took care of their customers....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    One of our 2 hobby shops closed.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Qualifier
    My Main LHS ( the closest one to my house, nankin hardware and hobby) wasn't ordering parts, and no fuel, and instantly, after one warm weekend, all the shelves were full, and they were selling slashes, stampedes, and rusties like crazy!!! Do i think that the hobby is affected in my area? Yes, but very, very slightly.
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

RC Champion
    Ive had to get some parts at one of our local shops and it was jam packed both days. I even went today at 10:00am when most people would be working and there was probably 6 people in there looking. Dont know how many are buying but seems to be a heck of alot of lookers.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Champion
    I have 3 LHS.
    2 are doing great and the other shop had to move next door to a smaller building. Don't think they will last too long and their in the rich part of town.
    We ride together..We die together..Bad Boys 4Life

RC Qualifier
    Rodney and rustlerracer, finally some people nearby. We're near spartanburg.
    Losi 1/18 LM, Jato3.3,Revo 2.5r, Micro-t, Losi 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Chargers Fan
    Nope all 3 Hobby Peoples are open here in San Diego and the other mom and pops' as well!
    Yup, I was in Hobby Central and Discount Hobby Warehouse this weekend, both had a pretty good crowd, it was nice to see.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    mine seems like it has wayyyy lest customers, and there missing like 2 shelves of rc's
    pm me with what BRUSHED motor for rusty