Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Have you checked your LHS for a Y-Harness?

RC Qualifier
    LOL!

No, I haven't. My "local" hobby shop is almost an hour one-way drive...
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Competitor
    Call to see if they have it. If they have it, THEN consider whether you would rather make the 2hr round trip versus wait 'till sometime next week.

I'm way too impatient. I tell the wife we're going shopping and then make a side trip to the hobby shop.

RC Qualifier
    I called, they said not only do the have the Y harness for the steering, they are going to make me some Y harnesses for my battery-to-ESC connections.

Awesome, huh?

So, I have been doing a little reading and I'm somewhat disheartened. I know a little research beforehand could have saved me the pain, but I think I have chosen the wrong motor. The ads for the ERBE say its capable of speeds up to 50mph, and I ordered the MMM/2200 combo that the factory ERBE is going to have.

What motors are the guys running that are claiming 60-70+ mph out of their E-Revo BL conversions?

I see 1515 a lot, what motor is that? Is it the bad-boyn, speed wise? Could I change the gearing on my 2200 setup and get the top speed on up there?

I am a speed junkie. I don't care much at all about handling, and I won't do a whole lot of jumping, I just want to be FAST! I haven't even installed the 2200 yet. So I could sell/trade it for whatever will get me the speed I need!!!

Thanks again guys.
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 2200kV and 6S will be blazing-fast, well over 60mph I believe, and possibly even faster with different gearing!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    Whew!

Thanks, R1!

I was really gonna be disappointed, I love the look of the Green Monster sitting there looking all bad-*** in my in-progress install!

I HAVE to have that Traxxas MMM hold-down bracket. That is sexy sexy!

I need that (a temp solution is in the works though), the steering Y, the battery Y's and my Lipo charger to come in and I'll be up and running. Hopefully, all this will happen in the coming week. The only thing I'm not sure about is the charger. My batts came in, and they were supposed to ship with the charger, but when the batts got here, Surprise! No charger. Ugh! Anywho, we'll see if we can go out and break 60 next weekend!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You're welcome, man!

I currently have 7 things I am waiting on, that I paid for on the 16th of last month, and one of them is a charger (well, 2 identical chargers)...heh, so I know how you feel there!

RC Qualifier
    So, I'd rather not wait on my Lipo charger. Is it going to HURT anything if I go ahead and run my BL setup on my 7.2v 3600mAh NiMH's?

I know you can under power and do damage, right? Is this going to hurt anything?
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

You can. You will need to go in the Castle link software and change some of the settings to take it easier on the batteries. As soon as it starts to lose power, stop running it so you do not over discharge your nimh's.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    Cool, thanks Brett.
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

I forgot to say, keep a close eye on the temperature of the batteries.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    Will do.

I'm not really looking to make any lenghthy runs, I jst want to check my install and make sure everything is going to work properly.
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Qualifier
    Alright!

We have brushless power to the wheels.

I'll be buttoning everything back up tomorrow and probably take it for an easy spin around the yard.

Stupid RC Planet sent me some freakin RC10 parts instead of my Lipo charger, so who knows HOW long I'll be waiting to run it on the Lipos... Grrrrrrr!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Qualifier
    Hooray!

It runs and drives!

I need an ESC hold down of some kind, and some small wire ties to tidy things up a bit...

And that blasted, CURSED charger... Grrrr!!!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well... Did I mess something up?? I plugged in the CastleLink cable, adjusted the LVC (set to 4.0 for the temporary Nimh batts), tweaked the throttle curve a tad, Updated, saved and exited.

Plugged the ESC back into the receiver, dropped the body on and headed outside.

Turned on the Tx, turned on the ESC and I got nothing. The ESC sounded the one multi-tone to signal power on, but not the 2 tones to signal its ready to go.

I got steering, but nothing from the throttle. The yellow and green LED's on the ESC are "pulsing" quickly.

Help?!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For NiMh I think you want the LVC disabled.
    be nice.

RC Qualifier
    That was the problem, Hoov.

Thanks dude!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    glad to help!
    be nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    See...what would any of us do without this forum, heh!?!

RC Qualifier
    Stare stupidly at my B.L.E.R. (BrushLess E Revo, pronounced same as blur) and wish I wasn't such a big dumb dummy head?
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    HAHAHA!

I thought we all decided on calling it B.E.E.R.?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nope...its ERBE
    be nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well alrighty then!

RC Qualifier
    I musta missed that, but I LIKE IT!!!

Also, I LIKE LiPos!!!

I totally fubar'd my antenna tube, road-rashed a couple of body posts and my relatively virgin body is totally scratched and scraped up.

But Man oh Man, those wheelies, that brutal acceleration, and the RUNTIMES... I am amazed!!!

What I am NOT amazed by is that STUPID set screw... UGH! Its loctite'd down, sat 36 hours to "cure" and still, ZING... I THINK, however, the problem may not be the set screw. I believe the aftermath of the first set-screw incident (about 1/4 of each tooth on the spur is gnawed up, and I think maybe in the flexing under acceleration, it is causing the spur to actually "push" the gear off of the pinion. I'm going to run to my LHS soon and grab some gear sets, so hopefully some new, more sturdy gears will be thrown on soon.

Should I go with MOD1? I'd like to get a set for top speed (4S for now), a set for bashing, and a "middle of the road" all-around versatile set. Any suggestions for ratios? Are gears expensive? That is one of few things I haven't yet priced.

Thanks guys! I definitely fell in love with my B.E.E.R. all over again today! I'm gonna go broke, but I'm gonna go 70+ with this thing.

Eventually...
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just don't get metal spurs, you will regret it!

RC Qualifier
    Might need a stronger motor plate if it is flexing. The more hp you ad the quicker you find the next weakest link.
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, no metal spurs.

Are there any brands of Nylon that are particularly known for durability?

What ratios (ball park, of course, I know each setup's "ideal" varies) would you guys recommend?

Where to go for a stronger (and single) motor plate? I saw where somebody made their own out of carbon fiber. Should I go with CF or stick with aluminum?

Thanks, as usual. You guys Rock!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Qualifier
    I would use 1/4 inch aluminum plate and cut one out of that. CF flexes too much but would look nice. You might want to also look at bracing the motor and trans from the other end to box it in and keep them from flexing relative to each other. It could be easier than cutting out a new motor mount.
    like a bar that runns on the side from the trans all the way down beside the motor.

What baffles me the most is that little plate is holding almost 3 hp

Just thought of a cheap easy way to cut down on the flex of the plate.

Get an extra motor plate and 5 ton epoxy them together under pressure(with a heavy object..cinderblok or something) and get all of the bubbles out, let dry overnight. Afterwards reassemble in car with slightly longer screws. This will take out the flex of the plate however it will let you know really quick if it is the actual motor mount that is flexing and not the plate.
    Last edited by afterdarkgames; 03-21-2009 at 12:00 PM.
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco

Are there any brands of Nylon that are particularly known for durability?
    I have used some spurs made of delrin that hold up well, but I havent really had a NEED for them. I use the stockers and as long as I set my mesh correctly, they last a long time.

The only time I burned up a stock spur was when I had a wheelie bar on and someone floored it.
    The truck poped the front wheels up and the torque between the rear wheels and the wheelie bar shredded the spur.
    be nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Taco, the stock plastic spurs are more than strong enough, even with 6S brushless power, as long as you set the mesh perfectly! I, personally, run stock plastic spurs on everything from 4HP big-block nitro & crazy-powerful brushless Supermaxxes to 27 turn stock Mabuchi 540 motors in el-cheapo home-made cars I build.

afterdarkgames, good carbon-fiber does not flex, not at all! Sure, 1-2mm sections over a couple inches wide will flex, but a piece the size of a motor-mount made out of 3-4mm CF won't flex, not even a 0.01 of a millimeter! Even 1/8" (3.2mm) aluminum motor-mount plates flex up to 0.5mm, but the same size CF will not. But, it all really depends on the manufacturer of the CF, the method they use, and the material & weave they use.

RC Qualifier
    Cool, I'll go with stock-style spurs. What recommendations do you guys have for good ratios?

R1, ol' buddy, ol' pal... Could I convince you to whip me up a good, sturdy CF motor plate? I'll gladly pay ya for your time and trouble.
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Qualifier
    Also, in one of my rooftop skids, my antenna tube and the black rubber cap got all kinds of jacked up.

The antenna wire itself is in tact, but I doubt it will survive that kind of abuse for long. If I go ahead and shorten it to the short length, how short do I cut and do I measure from where the wire exits the Rx, or do I open the Rx and measure from where the wire actually originates?
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea man, I can make you one...

DO NOT cut your antenna wire!!! It is made to a certain length for a reason, and cutting any off of it can seriously affect your range and induce glitching. Just pull the wire back down the tube to where there's only a 1/2" sticking out, then pop the cap on. Now tie up the excess wire by the Rx and secure it to something with a zip-tie.

RC Qualifier
    10-4 on the not cutting the antenna. I just thought I remembered seeing where it could be shortened to a certain length in the Spektrum manual.

How much and how do you want to be paid for the motor plate? Would you make it a single-motor plate?
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Let me get home and see if I have any 3 or 4mm CF big enough, or if I will have to order some more, and then I will shoot you a price. I can make it however you want...1 motor, 2 motors, 12 motors...whatever you want, heh. Also, I will need to know where you want the motor...which side, clocked at what degree, etc.., and I prefer PayPal.

RC Qualifier
    I can do paypal.

I guess I would want pretty much a replica of the stock ERevo plate, only with the upper motor mount deleted. That way I can use my stock dust cover. Make sense?
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, that makes sense...can you send me your stock plate for me to get measurements from, 'cause I don't have one. Or, if they are cheap, I will just buy one for me to keep so I will have it if other people want me to make them a CF mount.
    Last edited by Revoš; 03-22-2009 at 03:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think they are much, but I can check my LHS and see if they have one and send it to you.
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok, cool .

RC Qualifier
    I'll let you know if they have one tomorrow man.

If not, I'll order one and have it shipped directly to you. If you don't care, go ahead and PM me your address, that way I can get it headed your way.
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast