RC Qualifier

Feeling like an Idiot

Well, finally got my truck up and running again after the winter rebuild.
    Kick myself though because the first couple of times I tried running it, it just would run right. I could get it started and had to keep it WOT on the tx to keep it going, but the truck wouldn't move. Had needles at factory settings, so start leaning out the HSN and eventually got the truck to move, but just barely. Brought it home and took the engine out and checked the clutch shoes and decided to replace them. Put every thing back together and tried again with no change. Truck would just barely get moving with throttle wide open. Pulled engine out and checked carb, which I rebuilt over winter and found a crack in the body just below HSN assembly. This is a brand new carb body. So, I got that taken care of and as I was putting things back together I remembered that I had put all the electronics on while I was at work and had left the engine at home. The throttle linkage had been installed and left in rough adjustment and I had meant to give it final adjustment once I got the engine back on. I double checked the linkage and realized that even though I was moving the tx throttle all the way the carb was only opening half way. DOH!!! Got that readjusted and now the beast lives! Getting it tuned up last night and running great.
    Just goes to show that a little forgetfulness can sure be agrivating.
    You can't take the sky from me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    its usually small things that can hold u up. good that u have er runnin now
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, typically that is what I find. Little things adding up to big problems.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the ''idiot club" man . i joined a few years ago when i tryed to start my revo with the fuel shutoff clip on. i went through 2-6 cell batterys trying to get mine started. again welcome
    3.3 Revo, RBModed RedDot, RRP gears, 18/36, RPM'S

RC Qualifier
    Dood, I'm so bad w/ things like this that I literally make notes when I'm taking it apart. Stuff like:
    - Reset throttle linkage
    would have been on my list.
    j

RC Qualifier
    Not my first time in the "Idiot Club," but it was something so mindnumbingly stupid that I figured everyone here would get a good laugh. It would probably make a few of the noobs feel a little better knowing that no one's perfect around here.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revo-4tec-mike
    Welcome to the ''idiot club" man . i joined a few years ago when i tryed to start my revo with the fuel shutoff clip on. i went through 2-6 cell batterys trying to get mine started. again welcome
    boy im glad im not the only one who has done that
    was down but now I'm up... Where's my beast!!!

RC Champion
    but when stuff like that happens i stop what im doing and look around to see if anyone saw me.

when i was running rc's with my buddy 6-7 years ago i forgot to turn on his rx battery and the 4-tec took off on start up and went into a curb at half throttle (35mph ish) i felt dumb.

im with you guys on the check list. even for regular start up.

1. car
    2. tx
    3. fuel
    4. fuel car
    5. turn on tx
    6. turn on rx batt.
    7. test radio functions
    8. UNCLIP FUEL SHUTOFF
    9. put on glow warmer
    10. prime and start vehicle
    11. shutoff vehicle and rest after following steps 1-10 then start from 1.

ill have to print this one up and use it as a cheet sheet in my rc box.

RC Competitor
    I've put the cylinder in backwards...twice, on two different vehicles lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revo-4tec-mike
    ahaahahaha I did this same exact thing! Except I didnt figure it out until I brought my revo back home and took it apart lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hascet
    I did this on a brand new piston and sleeve....wondered why I couldnt keep the temps down while doing the break in.

No one is perfect, welcome to the club
    Revo3.3/21TM4Tec3.3RustlerVXLFluxMustang

RC Racer
    Cant tell ya how many times I have done stuff like that myself.. HeHe.

I have found if I start getting frustrated, just walk away and come back in an hour or so, and usually after a break the problem just appears with a clear mind.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hascet
    that's funny. im glad there are other people willing to put there stories out there.

RC Champion
    all your story's are great!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I was getting so ****** off at my car yesterday cause it was a brand new 3.3 with the ez start..
    The car just sounded like the ez was just spinning away with no linkage,
    I took the whole thing apart and took the gears apart and took 3 hours to put it together and take apart,

I realized the ez start wires were backwards and the ez was spinning in reverse
    These signatures are to short.

RC Qualifier
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has made so many of these mistakes. Trying to start with fuel clip closed...guilty, trying to start with EZStart wires backwards...guilty, forgetting to double ceck setup after rebuild...guilty, installing cylinder backwards...not guilty...yet. Probably a matter of time on that one, maybe next years rebuild.
    Great to see we've all walked through the land of idiots and finally figured things out. Like I said earlier, this probably gives the noobs some hope too.