RC poster

Speed control just fried, need replacement advise!!

Hi guys!!

I have an older type Emaxx, I bought it in a swap meet a couple of months ago and really haven't had much luck with it. I had to fix two sets of output shafts, then I had to replace one of the titan motors, I decided to go ahead and replace both, and now on this last run the maxx just decided to stop running for no reason.

I took the max inside and checked it out, I swapped out the batteries and in a few seconds the speed control started smoking and one of the batteries got really hot. What happened here?

Now my question is what setup would you guys recommend? What type of speed control should I get? I really want something that won't fail on me again, I was looking for some dual motor and dual battery speed controllers out there like the Novak super duty XR but they are expensive. I've also seen the newer EVX2 on Ebay for a bit less than the XR, but I wan't to stay away from the traxxas stuff.

And if you guys need this info I have 4500 high energy nimh packs and the motors are stock and so is the gearing.

I really don't want to go Lipo because of the danger involved.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, the truck is a blast when it's running and would really like to get it fixed soon.

Thanks guys!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    why would u want to stay away from traxxas stuff.where is the love.just keep an eye on the forums evx2 come on here often.http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...21.26359.0.0.0
    "bah weep granah weep nini bong"

RC Qualifier
    Just get a MMM

RC Qualifier
    or you could buy a mamba monster and run the titans on it till you go brushless or something
    Emaxx 3905 FS in the market place.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSXtasy
    Just get a MMM
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVHA5&P=ML

can it run two battery packs.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-02-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    That's one of the most expensive esc's i've ever seen!!
    Nitro Sport .15
    Villain EX
    E-Maxx

RC Racer
    My E-MAXX evx-2 did the same thing. So I sent it in to traxxas becouse it was in warenty and they sent me a new one. But call them first. Thats what I would do.

-Dylan
    as i like to say "failure is always an option"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by luis gloria
    can it run two battery packs.
    It's an ESC and motor. It's brushless... you can run as many packs as you want as long as the total voltage is not over 25.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonixBoarder5
    That's one of the most expensive esc's i've ever seen!!
    that is a motor and esc combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit_Kaine
    It's an ESC and motor. It's brushless... you can run as many packs as you want as long as the total voltage is not over 25.
    wish they had a pick of the wiring.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-02-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's just 2 wires.. you can put whatever connectors you want on it.. make your own series harness, parallel.. whatever you want to run.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by luis gloria
    why would u want to stay away from traxxas stuff.where is the love.just keep an eye on the forums evx2 come on here often.http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...21.26359.0.0.0
    ''

Wow that is the cheapest that I have seen the XR, thanks for the link, and I said that I wanted to stay away from the traxxas speed controlers because I've read taht the newer ones also get fried.

Keep those recommendations coming in guys, that MMM looks insane and so is the price, I really just want something fun, reliable and not too expensive.

Thanks!

RC Champion
    just get the MMM esc off ebay and make a series harness and just run the titans on it.
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

RC Competitor
    Doesn't Traxxas have a lifetime warranty on the EVX? Won't they fix it for $20-$40 even if it's out of the initial warranty?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWCG
    Doesn't Traxxas have a lifetime warranty on the EVX? Won't they fix it for $20-$40 even if it's out of the initial warranty?
    45 and they send you a new one.