RC Enthusiast

MaxAmps Lipo 6500 7.4V E-Revo Pair

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...O-Pair&cat=172

Does anybody have any experience with these particular batteries? If so what is your take on them?
    Last edited by Disposition89; 03-07-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Type-o

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Disposition89

Does anybody have any experience with these particular batteries? If so what is your take on them?
    I picked up a set with a few cycles on them about a month ago since I wanted to be fair when we have the "mine is better" but never actually try others. I added them to my Thunder Power and TrueRC collection and although I can see a little bit of a difference over the TrueRC when accelerating and a little better top speed they are in my opinion not valued anywhere near the price they are asking.

RC Competitor

I have one pack of MA 6000, 20C and they are garbage. Slow compared to other packs I have and not as much punch.
    It's never too late to play with toys.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldozer75
    I have one pack of MA 6000, 20C and they are garbage. Slow compared to other packs I have and not as much punch.

No comparison there.. that isn't even worth talking about the old 20c packs were over rated anyway (widely known).. at best 15c packs ballpark actual.
    Those new 6400 packs not only have more mAH they are 30c rated packs so again it's like apples & oranges. I've never had the 6400's but if you don't know, I bet most people would rather not hear about it.

My2c

RC Qualifier
    This might not be valid because of the newer chemistry in these cells, but their old 2s2p packs had balance issues because the balancer can't "see" all four cells, just the two sets of paralleled cells. The only way this issue would be gone, though, is if they've matched the cells so well they'll never get out of balance, but your balancer still can't "see" all the cells. I don't see anywhere that says the packs you linked are 2s2p, but they would have to be unless somebody is producing a 6400mAh lipo cell.

I don't know how many people have had problems with this (I did), but it's something to consider before buying an expensive battery.
    Last edited by Gregarious76; 03-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    E-Revo MMM 2200 "The Missile"
    VXL FLM Rustler

RC Competitor
    even if they aren't the same cells the fact of the matter is that maxamps has repeatedly put inaccurate ratings on their packs. I have no experience with their new cells, but the old ones left ALOT to be desired, especially at the price i paid.

I would recommend *****'s if your on a budget and something with enerland cells if you want the best.

RC Champion
    Just got done looking at the maxamps kit with 2 lipos and a charger for $640.
    I need a E Revo ATM like alot of people on here.
    We ride together..We die together..Bad Boys 4Life

RC poster

Post New Maxamp3 7.4 V 6500 mAmp

Today was the first time I drove the new MaxAmps 7.4 V 6500 mAmp 30C LiPo's with my (olso quite new) E-Revo Brushless. Was not bad!! Engine was quite hot but LiPo's only a little warm. Gearing 18x54 with al my batteries!
    The punch was quite good.
    Even at half speed still possible to make Wheelies!
    I have two other types of battery packs:
    - 2x Nosram 7.2 V / 4600 mAmp NiMH inline sixpack (homecomer)
    These are nice to drive to my racespot and get home afterwards.
    - 2x Graupner V-Maxx 11.1 V / 4800 mAmp ?30C? LiPo's.
    These even make wheelies if you just look at the gas handle!!!
    Even with the wheely bar at the lowest position only wheelies!
    So almost to much punch and speed (for me) at this moment.
    Even the guys at the store (2brothersrc.com) couldn't realy handle it!

So for me at the moment the MaxAmps are OK. I drove them until the ESC turned me off. Drove about 30 minutes most of the time at 1/2 to full speed, a few jumps and a lot of flip overs and roll overs. Some people call it crashes.....
    I'm just loading them the second time now. With a Graupner Ultramat 14 and Robbe Lithium Top Equalizer 6S at 5000 mAmp one at the time. I will putt away some money each month so I can buy a Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 50 to load 2 batteries at the same time with up to 10 Amps!! Anybody who has got one! Is it as good as all the magazines tel me/us?!
    About the maxxamps, I did tape some pices of gellpad to the side so they fit better into the battery compartments. Now they cant move sidewards anyore. This because on an other site I saw a comment from somebody who wrote the batteries came out of the compartments and got damaged. As I am an mechanical technicion I've learnd that if there is space to move the forces will go up when the battery can move. It wil firs slide and then hit the cover with some speed and therefore with more force (more energy)!!
    Last edited by Wiebje1962; 06-28-2009 at 12:05 PM.

RC Champion
    I run for hours at the track (much harder on the truck) w/o the ESC shutting down. I'd take a look at the gearing and the rest of your setup. I run 35c 5000mAH elite packs and SMC 28c 9000mAH packs for my lipo's.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Qualifier

I have 2 -sets of them and they have been awesome, no problems plenty of run time and charge and balance really fast w/my charger/balancer.I have the hard cases. Mine are like 30c or 35c, if you can get a battery with a C rating higher then 20c, you should have no problems, all my battery problems where with 20c rating batteries, Once I moved up, the problem disappeared. Why do you ask???
    Last edited by REVO7; 06-28-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    ERBE+TEKIN RX8+MAXAMPS=TO TOUGH TO TAME!!!!

RC Qualifier
    You really can't go wrong with them if you buy them, I highly suggest the warrarnty, because they will replace a pack for me, no questions asked if anything happened. I hope all the others stay away, because I have seen some stupid battery wars on here and I think this should stay a Maxamp battery thread, seeing that there are a million ***** threads, PLEASE NO WARS!!!

RC Champion
    those are way overpriced.
    check out promatch or spec
    We ride together..We die together..Bad Boys 4Life

I would say, from personal experience, that the older generation of Maxamps were not that good. I ran two of their 3s2p 6000mAh packs in parallel for 11.1v, not series 22.2v, in my E-Maxx with the MMM/2200kv combo. Three runs, and one of them puffed. The second one has wbout 25 runs on it, and it struggles to power my Bandit VXL.

The result of all this was I went with other brands to replace the maxamps packs. I didn't (and still don't) have a problem paying for high quality, so I found some NeuEnergy packs - cheaper than Maxamps - and gave them a try. No problems so far.

Since all this, Maxamps has updated the cells that they use in their packs. Good, but technology is advancing everywhere - NeuEnergy has packs now that can be charged at 5C if you can find a charger to do it. Maxamps does have a reputation for excellent customer service. Again, that is good, but I don't think that it is worth THAT much more, so I'm sticking with other brands.

ONE LAST THING -
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregarious76
    . . . but their old 2s2p packs had balance issues because the balancer can't "see" all four cells, just the two sets of paralleled cells. The only way this issue would be gone, though, is if they've matched the cells so well they'll never get out of balance, but your balancer still can't "see" all the cells. . .
    This isn't the way it works. In a pack that is setup with a parallel element, the cells that are in parallel are wired together, so that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to become out of balance to each other.

RC Champion
    Disposition89

I have the batteries in my MMM Combo 2200kv equipped Maxx and I love them. They never seen above 110*F in Alabama heat. Water proof hard wrap all that. But then again I have a killer membership with them saving me tons on their batts.
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Racer
    I have these batteries and they ROCK! but I'm a noob so take it for what its worth. I bought the kit that has the charger, 2 battery paks, lipo sak and power source. People on here grip about MaxAmps being way overpriced but when you look at the specs of these batteries 30C, 6500mAh, 2S, plus Traxxas connectors, the Hyperion charger, 15% discount and a 3 year warranty, I think its a great deal! Not to mention these paks won best Lipo battery award in the last issue of "Car Action". Buy 'em you won't regret it.
    ERevo Brushless Edition
    Lipo 4s 6500mah

RC Enthusiast
    @ Wiebje1962
    I have the Graupner Ultramat 50 and some ***** Lipos 3S ( got the 2S *****s today). I was thinking about writing a post about the charger when I was reading all the time the discussions about the Lipos. I dont know so much about these things as some posters here, but after working with the Graupner it looks to me that the charger is at least as important as the batteries. From the six 3S *****s I have after charging none has a higher diff then 0,004 Volt. The *****s are incredible powerfull and are lasting about 45 min. I havent charged them over 1 A till now, no reason to do that. I charge them under the week and they are fresh on the weekend.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBeez03
    I have these batteries and they ROCK! but I'm a noob so take it for what its worth. I bought the kit that has the charger, 2 battery paks, lipo sak and power source. People on here grip about MaxAmps being way overpriced but when you look at the specs of these batteries 30C, 6500mAh, 2S, plus Traxxas connectors, the Hyperion charger, 15% discount and a 3 year warranty, I think its a great deal! Not to mention these paks won best Lipo battery award in the last issue of "Car Action". Buy 'em you won't regret it.
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I guarantee "Car action" gets paid big bucks to but that in there magazine. If you want to spend that kind of money grab some enerland or thunderpowers and yes, neuenergys.
    E-Revo-MMM 2200-4s-5s-6s
    Go ***** Go!

Why not grab *****'s while your at it...
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC Racer
    +1 I hate ten characters
    E-Revo-MMM 2200-4s-5s-6s
    Go ***** Go!

RC Champion
    Hmmm I wonder if this thread will go the way I think it will.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrostarter
    Why not grab *****'s while your at it...
    LOL Couldnt resist I know someone would do it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bisque98
    I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I guarantee "Car action" gets paid big bucks to but that in there magazine. If you want to spend that kind of money grab some enerland or thunderpowers and yes, neuenergys.
    No bubble bursting here bro I'm not a hardcore RC guy, just caught the bug about a month ago and wanted to buy the 'best' I could. I read as much as I could to educate myself and talked to other people who were like minded so I went with MaxAmps and so far I'm happy. I will probably buy a different brand of paks for my next set just to save a little $$.

If you add up what I got for the money what would I have payed for comparable paks/charger/connectors/lipo sak/and 3 year warranty?
    ERevo Brushless Edition
    Lipo 4s 6500mah

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBeez03
    No bubble bursting here bro I'm not a hardcore RC guy, just caught the bug about a month ago and wanted to buy the 'best' I could. I read as much as I could to educate myself and talked to other people who were like minded so I went with MaxAmps and so far I'm happy. I will probably buy a different brand of paks for my next set just to save a little $$.

If you add up what I got for the money what would I have payed for comparable paks/charger/connectors/lipo sak/and 3 year warranty?
    The Hyperion chargers are Awsome I have one for 3 years now and still use it for my LIPOS. The warranty is cool my second lipo ever was MAxAmps its about 3 years old now. It was good for a while now it kicks my LVC on the VXL on. I would guess there new lipos are better but really dont know as I refuse to pay those prices. But if your happy thats all that matters. Will they replace the lipo if it just goes soft after a year or so, If so then it makes sense.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hyperion chargers rule! Mine's about 2 years old and still hasn't missed a beat, I would highly recommend one to anyone.

As for Maxamps lipos the newer generation packs seem greatly improved over the previous, but even if they can compete with packs from other companies as far as performance they are still asking way too much money. If they would spend a little less on advertising and gratuities shmoozing people into voting for them in "Reader's Choice" awards they could easily afford to knock 30% or more off the price of their lipos which would put them into a better position to compete with the other manufacturers with better reputations.

I haven't tried out a newer generation ***** pack, but the old ones were accurately rated and fairly reliable. Pack construction sucked but that could be fixed with some tape and a few minutes of time. New Maxamps cells vs. new ***** cells would be an interesting match to see some real world testing done to, but for 1/3 of the money (or less) I'd still stick to *****/*******.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcaz25
    Disposition89

I have the batteries in my MMM Combo 2200kv equipped Maxx and I love them. They never seen above 110*F in Alabama heat. Water proof hard wrap all that. But then again I have a killer membership with them saving me tons on their batts.

I also get killer deals with them, but a lot of people stay away because of the price and they don't realize the more business you do with them, the better the deals get!!! It's nothing for them to send me some stuff for free or really big discounts!!! After a while, the batteries don't cost that much and are very competitive with other brands, which I won't mention!!!