Thread: ERBE on NIMH

RC poster

ERBE on NIMH

Anyone running ERBE on NIMH packs? Any comments on this if so? Please keep the speculation and the "You have to use LIPO" comments to yourself.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running the Orion 4500 7cell packs. I have no problem with them. They are quality packs that I can get rough 30mins of run time when charged on the Venom Pro charger. Been using them for the past month. Stick with quality packs and you will be fine.

Plenty of juice for some fun time.

RC Champion
    You're using the MMM T-bear?
    Thats a bumper? I thought it was a wheelie bar!

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I am, turned down the punch down to 80% and it will still do wheelies on demand, These batteries aint bad for the price. I'm currently waiting for the SMC 2s 9000mh to come in for even greater run long time. SMC claiming 45-60min run time.

RC poster
    I called Castle today. They obviously recommended Lipo but told me I could use NIMH if they were the highest quality cells on the market.

I have some older 3300 mah NIMH packs that I used a few runs while I wait for the Lipos to come. Castle recommended that I not use them as they probably cannot supply the necessary current and it was a risk to the ESC to run them. The possibility of ruining the ESC is enough to scare me off from even messing with the NIMH packs. Traxxas should have some sort of warning in the box to that effect. Their website makes it out like 3000+ mah is fine to run.

My reason for wanting to use NIMH in the first place is the potential danger with the LIPOs. I tend to use the RC stuff for a few months and put it away for a year. With my hobby short attention span the NIMH option seemed worth exploring. I think I will just put "charge the lipos" on my calendar once a month so I don't ruin them in storage.

RC Competitor
    The ERBE was pretty hard on my NiMH packs. Admittedly, they're not great packs.. "4200mAh" that actually clock 3500.

They were coming out of the Revo too hot to hold, which is generally unhealthy for them.

If you run NiMH, I'd get good well-matched packs, dial down the settings a bit, and go easy on the throttle. Allow some cooldown time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You CAN run Nimh.. but why would you want to? and why risk burning up your ESC and batteries.

NiMh for one don't put out enough amps which will make them really hot and possibly explode.. and 2 if they can't handle the current being put back into them you can damage the ESC.

So running NiMh packs is a double no no. While MOST LiPo's, even the cheap chinese ebay ones will most of the time be better then NiMh. To get the best of both worlds cheap and good, i would go with *****s or rhinos.

RC poster
    I just went all out. Ordered the MaxAmps 2s 6500 Lipos with a Hyperion Duo2 charger. Hope to try it out later this week to see how good these Lipos really are.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdc
    I just went all out. Ordered the MaxAmps 2s 6500 Lipos with a Hyperion Duo2 charger. Hope to try it out later this week to see how good these Lipos really are.
    Awesome.. did you get a power supply for the charger too?