RC Racer

Testing Grease and Oil, Factory Differential

My friend and I packed our differentials full of grease and didn't notice much of a difference so now its time to fill one with 30K weight differential oil and see what the big diff is. With grease we noticed some more power distribution but after a few quick runs we lost it. I split the case back open and all the grease moved aside of the gears. It looked as if the grease was doing nothing. I'm in the process of sealing the differential and using 30K weight oil. We will be testing at Thunder Alley in Beaumont, Ca to test both setups tonight. I will report our findings tomorrow morning so stay posted.

Friends don't let stupid friends post

RC Qualifier
    I have mine packed with 300k silicone oil 70% full by volume and this brings a marginal improvement. I think if I went down to 150K and filled it, this might perform better.

RC Qualifier
    Grease does work you just have to actually pack the diff. Meaning pack it full pressing grease in and past the gears and then close it up. When you do it this way you get out all and any air. If there is any and I mean any air pockets in the diff cup the grease as you mentioned will get displaced and lose its effect.
    I drop in one sun gear with the pin and then the two planetary gears, then carefully pack the diff full with grease till itslightly above the cup. I then put the other sun gear and planetary gear in the cap and slowly press them into place. You will have to carefully align the gears. When all is aligned press the cap and cup together and grease will squirt out the 4 screw holes and the rimm of the cup. Once you have it pressed all the way down till its flush wipe of the extra grease and install the 4 cap screws and tighted them down. Its messy but honestly works and gives a tight LS diff that will last.
    VXL Bronco/Slash,2VXL Bandits all on 1/8 treads

RC Racer
    Thats pretty much what I did TJK74. Pack it till it squirts out the holes.

RC Racer
    I found that once I got on some nicely watered firm dirt the packed diff with grease is a dream to drive. No more one tire fire. I also was running 1/8 buggy wheels which make a world of difference. Highly recommended. Ill be at Pegasus Hobby in Montclair tonight if anyone would like to join me.

RC Qualifier
    So did you repack the diff?
    VXL Bronco/Slash,2VXL Bandits all on 1/8 treads

I installed a silicone shock o ring between the output gears on the pin that aligns them. that helps too limiting the free wheeling in turns...