RC Qualifier

Now that the weather is nice, how about these puddles?

Well weather is getting nice here up in Canada, but these puddles need to go away. No matter how hard you try to not hit them, you still seem to get wet, even just a little bit.

I've been lucky so far it seems, the ol' Rustler just went through a doozie of a puddle (by accident) on my street, and she kept on working fine.

I pulled her in after that, took off the lid, seems the lid kept most of the water out, which is good. The battery was dry, and only a splashing on the Receiver and ESC.

Good times though, I am going to have a total blast this summer - I can feel it.
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 04-07-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    David "Hijak" Holden
    http://www.newedenradio.com

RC Champion
    Very nice! I'm entering the first summer with my Rustler. It's 75 beautiful degrees here in Oregon. Too bad I can't drive my car.
    Parts Broken: 13
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonman
    Very nice! I'm entering the first summer with my Rustler. It's 75 beautiful degrees here in Oregon. Too bad I can't drive my car.
    I bought mine used from a friend late july last year, so i was able to get used to the XL-5 ect... but this will be officially the first time with a brushless for me.

Already I can see the power it has, I am almost afraid to run it outside my house because of all the curbs, parked cars and traffic
    David "Hijak" Holden

RC Champion
    i hate puddles. but i cant get them to go away, and the gutters are always filled wit water so its scary
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman101
    i hate puddles. but i cant get them to go away, and the gutters are always filled wit water so its scary
    Haha, sounds like you need help.
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC Qualifier
    its not too hare to water proof your rusty
    Rustler VXL-MMax esc- converted to slash chassis

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 83bronco
    its not too hare to water proof your rusty
    Yea I know, just havn't bothered - I usualy take it out on a whim when I see it is nice and sunny
    David "Hijak" Holden

i cant get any water. all i can do is doughnuts in the dust with my erevo.

RC Champion
    me and my traxxas farmers were out playing yesterday, a total of 6 truks (4 rusty's 1 bandit/rusty conversion in the process and 1 oldschool non waterproof emaxx... we were all playing in the snow and small puddles, the truck got pretty wet, but there were no casualties as far as wet electronics goes.
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonman
    Is it like that in Oregon right now? How about in the summer? I'm in Orange County, CA. It's nice in this part of the area because HPI and AE are based here and there are good hobby stores. But the hot weather gets really hot here. When I do a road trip, hopefully I'll have a Rustler VXL by then so I'll have that, the Stampede, a Futaba 3PM, and lots of parts and stuff to take with me. I'm hoping there's a nice area in Oregon to find a place to live at. I'm over the Orange County thing.

As for puddles, I haven't run into those yet. I'd welcome some rain because my VXL 'Pede hasn't been in mud yet. There is a spot with a couple of sprinker pipes. Sometimes it feels like the truck is trying to hit them. And there are the really hard and grainy sandy areas that plays tricks on me. They have a slight slope so my truck always slides in a certain direction. The stock wheels make the truck spin around like a hockey puck. Obstacles like that can get annoying.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Storm VXL
    Is it like that in Oregon right now? How about in the summer? I'm in Orange County, CA. It's nice in this part of the area because HPI and AE are based here and there are good hobby stores. But the hot weather gets really hot here. When I do a road trip, hopefully I'll have a Rustler VXL by then so I'll have that, the Stampede, a Futaba 3PM, and lots of parts and stuff to take with me. I'm hoping there's a nice area in Oregon to find a place to live at. I'm over the Orange County thing.

As for puddles, I haven't run into those yet. I'd welcome some rain because my VXL 'Pede hasn't been in mud yet. There is a spot with a couple of sprinker pipes. Sometimes it feels like the truck is trying to hit them. And there are the really hard and grainy sandy areas that plays tricks on me. They have a slight slope so my truck always slides in a certain direction. The stock wheels make the truck spin around like a hockey puck. Obstacles like that can get annoying.
    No, today was very warm! It's never too cold here though. Not much snow in these parts. Perfect weather really. Can't go wrong.
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC Qualifier
    That's great. I like warm weather. I also like it cold. Not like break your RPM plastic bumper when it lands front wheels first from a big jump because it's so cold, cold. But nice and manageable cold. It gets a little too hot for me in the summer where I'm at.

RC Champion
    80 is an average winter day here normally 100.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Qualifier
    OMG I could imagine. Australia gets some hot temperatures and there's the ozone layer weak spots I read about. My genetics is probably geared for colder weather because I'm susceptible to heatstroke unless I'm really careful with staying in shade and drinking water. Of course in today's working day to day life, I'm usually too distracted or don't have the time to keep up with that. I can't somehow adapt to tolerate higher temperatures and I see myself moving in the near future. I was thinking Canada but Obama got elected so maybe I'll stay in the U.S.

As for puddles, running quickly through them is generally okay for most RC's. Especially if they're not that deep. Just check to see if the ESC has any water on it. And the connectors for the ESC and battery pack. I once ran through some heavy mud with my Stampede and the speed and the tires seemed to drive the mud away from the chassis. Everything inside was perfectly clean. Not even covered in dust because the ground was wet mud.

RC Champion
    I know puddles may not seem like much, but it only takes a little bit of moisture in the ESC or RX to stop you. A couple of weeks ago when we were running I slid into the gutter that had some water in it. All the sudden my truck was a dead stick. No response at all to radio inputs. The ESC fan still was running, but no other response. I brought it back and noticed the corner of the chassis where the RX sits was wet. I unplugged the wires from the RX and blew it out as best I could. Still dead. Then I took it inside and gave it the hair dryer treatment. A couple of minutes later it was running again.

At most a few drops could have gotten into the RX but that was all it took to kill it. Some have gotten luck and hit the puddles without a problem. I was being carefull to avoid the water and slid in by accident. If you know it's going to be wet, it won't take much to bag it in a ziploc bag or ballon.

RC Competitor
    Excuse the noob for asking this question. Can someone post a link to a procedure to use for water proofing a rusty vxl? I searched the forum and I didnt see a procedure. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyTheKid
    Excuse the noob for asking this question. Can someone post a link to a procedure to use for water proofing a rusty vxl? I searched the forum and I didnt see a procedure. Thanks.
    I take a normal plastic grocery bag, slice open the bottom. Slide the bottom over the front suspension and use masking tape to tape it aorund the servo area.

Then I pull the rest of the bag around the back of the chassis in front of the shocktower and then tie it in a knot through the center hole of the shocktower

I might make a video of it tonight or something to make it clearer
    David "Hijak" Holden

RC Enthusiast
    South of Vancouver, SW of Gresham, SE of Beverton, in Lake Oswego.
    I just take my servo and receiver out and put a balloon around them with some silicone and a zip tie. For the esc. I take a zip loc bag and cut the ziping part off. Then I just zip tie the top twice. You need to make sure to watch the temps. if you do that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonman2
    I just take my servo and receiver out and put a balloon around them with some silicone and a zip tie. For the esc. I take a zip loc bag and cut the ziping part off. Then I just zip tie the top twice. You need to make sure to watch the temps. if you do that.
    doing all that takes you what? 20mins?

I can have mine waterproof in under 5
    David "Hijak" Holden

RC Enthusiast
    Nope, takes me like 5 min too. You should make a video. I have pictures of mine.
    Parts Broken:13
    Salisbury Steak and Grape POP

RC Enthusiast

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dude, what is the sweet mount made out of? Reminds me of photopunks, but yours is plastic. (nevermind, wood)

EDIT: Just watched your vids, sweet. It woul dbe nicer if I could see more of whats behind the car though. At any rate, very cool.
    Last edited by VXL Beast; 04-06-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VXL Beast
    Dude, what is the sweet mount made out of? Reminds me of photopunks, but yours is plastic. (nevermind, wood)

EDIT: Just watched your vids, sweet. It woul dbe nicer if I could see more of whats behind the car though. At any rate, very cool.
    Actually it's not plastic! I made it though.

Here is a video:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tycoonman/3385900427/

RC Qualifier
    Good point about temperatures but if conditions are wet, I doubt you'll be going 50mph+ anyways.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonman2
    The only thing I don't like about that way is the electrical connections are still open to moisture and could short out.

Here is the way I do it.

How to Waterproof your Rustler with a Grocery bag
    David "Hijak" Holden

RC Qualifier
    Well it was a very nice day today, everything was pretty much dry. After work I went out in front of my house and using my 7-cell pack I was tearing it up and down my street. Was alot of fun for a bit. Driving back and forth gets kind of old once you do it a dozen or so times in a row.

Anyways the gravel on the road from winter makes things interesting enough, you tend to powerslide everywhere. I powerslid into the largest puddle on the street gutter. Once I hit it I cringed and then limped the rustler home and turned it off to let it dry

So far nothing seems damaged, but I wasn't too worried.
    David "Hijak" Holden

RC Qualifier
    Hey tycoonman there is the new water proof parts coming out. they may be nice but there is an easier way to waterproof. I got a bandit body and put it on my it is a nice fit and keeps most of the ater out
    Into curb and into ablivian

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanketboyjo
    Hey tycoonman there is the new water proof parts coming out. they may be nice but there is an easier way to waterproof. I got a bandit body and put it on my it is a nice fit and keeps most of the ater out
    Yea I thought about doing that also, the problem is I mounted my Sidewinder ESC on the left side of the chassis plate, opposite the receiver, so the bandit body wouldn't work well with those wires and stuff there.
    David "Hijak" Holden

RC Enthusiast
    The bandit body keeps more water out than the rustler body?
    "It's a gift...

... and a curse."

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yup, it fits tighter and allows less stuff in.

RC Enthusiast
    Yup, it fits tighter and allows less stuff in.
    So all you need to fit a bandit body is to take the front body mounts off, right?
    "It's a gift...

... and a curse."

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, I guess you could even leave them on. The front of the bandit body attaches to the little bump on your upper deck.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I guess you could even leave them on. The front of the bandit body attaches to the little bump on your upper deck.
    Oh, that's what that's for!
    "It's a gift...

... and a curse."