RC poster

New rustler. Make faster or more power

I just bought a new ruslter xl5 and using venom 7.2 volts 3000nimh battery. I charge the battery with a dynamite vision peak 2. the rustler is stock as is.

New to the electric seen, always been a nitro person but thought i would try electric.

question is, is there anything i can do to make it faster or have more power? go with a different battery, spur gear, or pinion gear?

RC Champion
    Yup! You need brushless for extreme everything. But you can gear up for speed and down for torque.
    Parts Broken: 13
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get a different battery! Venoms are terrible.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Qualifier
    Get rid of the venom batteries.... Just about anything is better.. Specpoint Batteries, and Pro Match are good. Anything in the 4000mah or greater will benefit you.
    Turned to the dark side....

RC poster
    venom was the only battery the local hobby shop had besides lipo, and lipo is way to pricey for me. well they had some 1500 but i didnt want to go that low. guess i could look at towerhobbies for some.

would the dynamite vision peak 2 charger charge anything over 3000Mah?
    Last edited by jumpingspoon; 04-05-2009 at 08:43 PM.

I dislike Venom packs as much as everyone else but for a brushed system like the XL-5 they are not all that bad *cringe can hardly believe I said that*

If you really want performance you should consider going brushless. An entry level system like the Castle Creations Sidewinder will give you great performance without too much cost. You will also then need something better than your Venom packs as a brushless system will eat Venom packs in short order.

For now with your XL-5 set up now you can play with the gearing but dont expect drastic improvement and keep an eye on temps if you gear it high.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    yes just play with the gearing. dont go venom. a pormatch
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC poster
    guess i will try to sell these venom batteries to someone and get a brand you guys suggested.

so if i do get some other battery that may be around 4000mah nimh will my charger charge them? its a dynamite vision peak 2 or how can i tell my charger will charge them? the instructions are kinda lame and doesnt explain very much.

RC Champion
    well a 7 cell promatch should work fine. prbly 8 cell max

RC Champion
    It charges 4-7 cell nimh meaning 8000 mah or 1500 mah. I would keep the Venom for back up save up for a better battery.
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC poster
    k, thanks guys. guess i will look for a new battery then, off of tower hobbies.
    (i think i have a coupon too yay i probably will keep the venom for backups, that would be a good idea.

RC Champion
    cant hurt to hav a backup

from tower they have these batteries and they're pretty darn good packs IMO. you'll have to get TRX connectors to solder on besides the crappy tamiya ones. i throw one of these in my VXL every once in a while and they barely get warm and run for about 20 minutes. they do offer one with the TRX connector already soldered on but for $10 more not worth it if you have a sottering iron. you can get the connectors for like 5 bucks. they're pretty good for a 6 cell.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJH4&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC4&P=ML
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 04-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    from tower they have these batteries and they're pretty darn good packs IMO. you'll have to get TRX connectors to solder on besides the crappy tamiya ones. i throw one of these in my VXL every once in a while and they barely get warm and run for about 20 minutes. they do offer one with the TRX connector already soldered on but for $10 more not worth it if you have a sottering iron. you can get the connectors for like 5 bucks.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJH4&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC4&P=ML
    Ooooh yes, those are wonderful packs. I got 'em as a cheap set up for my E-Revo till I could afford Promatch, but I was so pleased with them that now I use them in my Brushless Rustler and the Revo. Didn't even bother with the Promatch's. They have more punch than my IB4200's. GREAT packs for the money. Highly recommend them.

I am almost positive they have some with the TRX connectors already installed, too. And they make 8 cell ones too. Those will be faster, but the Titan will not live very long.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Champion
    I'm also having the best experience with my Team Orion Super Duty packs!
    Grape POP 'n' staples

RC poster
    what is the difference between a 7.2volt and 8.4volt battery? to me its just more voltage but does that do anything to the truck?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    I dislike Venom packs as much as everyone else but for a brushed system like the XL-5 they are not all that bad *cringe can hardly believe I said that*
    hehe yes, it is true that "most" venom packs are not up to the task, but from my personal experience from using a 6-cell pack since last summer, its held up quite well. I never really cooked it, always let it cool after running/charging ect...

In the end, it even works well on my sidewinder, though it doesn't have enough punch current to get going, and I always have toe ase into the throttle. Its now my backup pack with the addition of my new Pro-match racing pack

If you really want performance you should consider going brushless. An entry level system like the Castle Creations Sidewinder will give you great performance without too much cost. You will also then need something better than your Venom packs as a brushless system will eat Venom packs in short order.
    I also agree. The Sidewinder cost wise, is a great investment to start with. I've been loving mine since I got the Pro-match 7-cell pack. Comparing to my friend Lipo VXl bandit, well, lets just say he still goes faster, but what good is speed if you can't control it.

I find the Sidewinder gives me everything I want, a bit more speed than the XL-5, and the durability of the brushless motor.

For now with your XL-5 set up now you can play with the gearing but dont expect drastic improvement and keep an eye on temps if you gear it high.
    I would say the XL-5 is a great starting unit, allowing users to get use to controlling their truck. Kind of like traning wheels on a bike, but it does a better job then the training mode on the ESC.
    David "Hijak" Holden
    http://www.newedenradio.com

RC Champion
    the extra voltage will increase acceleration and top speed
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Qualifier
    The ultimate upgrade, as everyone else has commented, is a cheap brushless system and good batteries. However, if you're not up to the $150 for a Sidewinder, you could pick up a brushless mod motor for around $30, and pick up a bit of extra performance. I've been very happy with my Orion SV2, and I've also heard good things about Trinity SpeedGems motors. With either of these setups, a good battery would still be a good idea, but it's not as critical as with a brushless system.

If you'd like a bit more performance and the zero-maintenance of a brushless system, but don't want to pay for a reputable setup, I've also heard surprisingly good things about the EZRun systems available on EBay. You would probably want the 13-turn, 35 amp combo. Another good choice is the 65-amp ESC and one of the smooth-can x.5-turn motors, but you're approaching the price of a Sidewinder, and you have to bear in mind that you get no warranty support to speak of with one of these EBay systems.

RC Competitor
    Not to move away from the topic of the thread but why is everyone hating on the Venom packs? Are they really that bad? I have a Venom 3s 11.v 5000 mah Lipo and it seems to be doing well.
    Last edited by PhillyTheKid; 04-06-2009 at 12:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Venom LiPo batteries are fairly well-regarded. Their NiMH packs, on the other hand, are very weak. This is made even worse by hobby shops who push low-capacity packs onto people when they ask for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyTheKid
    Not to move away from the topic of the thread but why is everyone hating on the Venom packs? Are they really that bad? I have a Venom 3s 11.v 5000 mah Lipo and it seems to be doing well.
    People hate the Venom nimh packs because they are really that bad when used with a brushless system. The Venom lipos are a different story, they seem to hold their own although are a little high priced for the performance they offer.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

People hate the Venom nimh packs because they are really that bad when used with a brushless system. The Venom lipos are a different story, they seem to hold their own although are a little high priced for the performance they offer.
    that's true. the price they want for a Venom 2s 7.4V lipo could get you a good quality 3s pack from SPC.

RC Champion
    Promatch has some new batteries that are very cheap and will eat those venom's

check them out they are the ENER-G 4200 only 27 dollars with a traxxas plug so you don't have to solder or use an adapter
    http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=42006
    I HATE CURBS

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingspoon
    what is the difference between a 7.2volt and 8.4volt battery? to me its just more voltage but does that do anything to the truck?
    More voltage = more speed.

But the Titan motor in the truck is not known to be the hardiest thing around. Running 8.4 or 9.6 is known to shorten the motor life, but if should give you a bit more speed.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC poster
    i really do thank you guys for all the info you guys have given me. i got a new question on what aramid said.

what is the deal with the turn of the motor? i seen 12, 15, 17 turn motors. is the higher the number better or worse?

RC Qualifier
    Turns are the number of times the wires inside are wrapped around the armature, and it affects how powerful and how efficient the motor is.

The simple version is this: The higher the number, the slower the motor spins but the more torque it has. A lower number has less torque, but it can spin much faster, and actually creates more power. Lower-turn motors also have to be geared a lot lower.

The XL-5 controller is limited to motors with 15 turns and up (ignore the stock motor because it's a non-standard size). A 15-turn motor can be difficult to gear correctly in these trucks, though, so most people end up picking a 17-turn motor. It's a good balance of speed and torque, and very easy to gear correctly. It's usually suggested along with the stock spur gear and a 15-16-tooth pinion.

My recommendation is to steer clear of your LHS for batteries unless they are having a blowout sale, I buy batteries online and they are much cheaper than at the LHS. For the cost of a venom 3000 6cell I can order two 3800 epower packs from ebay and they are a much better battery than the venom nimh. I am not hating on venom, just their prices the packs are decent for a brushed setup but severely overpriced.

Get this in my LHS they now carry a few brands of lipo for a 2s 5000 the price there is like $115 it is an smc I think but for that price they are nuts.

I believe in supporting the local shops but not getting ripped off by them.

Also if you are going with a mod motor then you would see a big improvement over stock going with a team orion pro bb 17t as recommended by aramid, they are great motors and have alot of power and they will take an 8cell pack without problems just gear a little lower.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingspoon
    I used them for awhile until they lost there pep and melted on me.
    Mambafied Rustler
    "It grew up so fast"

RC poster
    been thinking and probably will go with the Orion SV2 (its a little cheaper than the Trinity SpeedGems motor on towerhobbies) that aramid recommended.

thinking about getting a pro match battery, maybe this one ENER-G 4200 that Dj1793 posted. but there are still a good bit of batteries to decide from. that one is just cheap. although i would like to find a 7 cell battery that is 4000 or higher and 8.4 volts that may be cheap just to try out.

finally will get a 15-16-tooth pinion gear or both and see which one i like better and keep the stock spur gear like aramid said.

RC poster
    just wanted to double check one more thing, when i do get a new motor, will i have to get another esc too or will the xl-5 work. aramid stated that the xl-5 will handle 15 turn motors and up but my LHS said i will have to get another esc.

and really i believe aramid over them.