Thread: Tire help

RC poster

Tire help

I am running an ERBE on 2s MaxAmps packs with 18/54 gearing. I figure 40mph max.

The stock Talons balloon a bit going across the yard and today the right rear exploded. It just ripped apart. It wasn't damaged or anything, I just think all the ballooning made it give way.

The back side pulled away from the rim pretty good but the front side is glued in very well. I may try the boiling technique to get it out or spend some serious time with the dremel tool.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The problem is everyone is out of stock on the preglued talons on the 17mm rims, and on the 17mm rims alone. Having 3 good wheels and no easy way to fix it is frustrating. I spent the past few hours on the forum and there is no general consensus on rims/tires.

So here are the options:
    - Boil the rim to get the old ripped tire off - possibly ruin the finish on it. Order 2 stock talons and glue them on to the stock rims. Seems quite likely the next tire will shed apart very soon right? Boiling a rim every other day is a pretty horrible solution.

Maximizer beadlocks- Seems its 50/50 on people who say they work and those to don't. Seems way better than boiling the rims though provided they can take 2s power.

Jconcepts Rulux - White wheels on a truck you drive in dirt? So RIT dye them black, glue on tires. When the next set of tires rip off head back to the boiling pot of water.

For tires, The Losi Zombies, HPI GT, Proline Mashers, and stock Talons are all options.

In the end I just want something that works reliably. Spending $100 and having one of the tires rip next week puts me back to where I am now with 3 working wheels and a useless truck.

Any suggestions? Anyone on 4s rip off the stock tires and SUCCESSFULLY replaced them with something that works better?

RC Enthusiast
    To remove your tire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnRwRaora0

I prefer the baking method honestly.

I like Maximizers but they do add weight. Can they handle 2s power? I run them on a MMM with 6s. I just got finished abusing a set with badlands on it on my Flux. Handled great while doing single and double back flips off a ramp and then shredding through a beach. The most ideal, in my opinion, would be a proline dish as they are pretty light. If you dont like the color of them then you can dye them to another color. Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPrNjE5o-w

I turned my entire BL Revo all black with that.

I would balance stores out. I know that Tower has a discount code deal going on that might help you get what you want (especially if you are choosing Maximizers as they can get spendy). My preference for offroad depends on the conditions but badlands, moab, and zombies are awesome!

RC Qualifier
    my stock talons when I first got my e-revo didn't even make it to lipo power, started tearing them away from the rims with nimh and the stock titans.

I now run 40series mashers on axial beadlocks. Awesome tires and I like the rims, but I may ditch em as the beadlock rings cut into the a-arms on the bottom side.

I run proline roadrage tires on rulux halfups and at 60mph they balloon but my gluing job holds up fine.

RC poster
    Thanks Squirrel. That helps.

Anyone want to post known working pairs of part numbers for wheel/tire combos?

Its so confusing with the different sizes. I guess I am going to try the Jconcepts but there are regular and half up. Having some known match pairs of part numbers would be super helpful.

Anyone with Proline Mashers and Jconcepts wheels?

I have the Mashers on the standard mt sized rulux wheels.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Competitor
    I'm a newb at 1/8th scale, so I'm totally baffled by which tires/wheels will actually work well on the ERBE.

Is this the right wheel?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTTD3&P=7
    Are these viable tires?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVS54&P=ML

I'm looking for something that 100% is known to work on eRevoBL, for general bashing.. something durable, not too expensive, not for pro racing..

RC Racer
    Whatever tires you choose, don't boil, bake - put your oven on 500, wrap the tires in aluminum foil (to keep the smell down), throw the tires in, shut the heat off - let them stay in until they're ~room temp. The tires will peel right off.

RC Competitor
    I'm trying to do my homework and due diligence here, but I'm stumped..

JConcepts has "1/8 Truck Wheels" in four different configurations:
    1/2 offset or standard offset, with and without "half-ups".
    http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...dex&cPath=4_34

I have no idea what a half-up is. Do I need it? I would have guessed it's the same as 1/2" offset, but apparently it's a second option altogether.

The stated diameter is 3.7", but the 1075 Masher mount diameter is 3.11". How does that work out?
    http://www.prolineracing.com/p-290-masher-32-mt.aspx

They have Mashers in other sizes too.. Series 40?

What are LPRs?

Anyway, when you're done chuckling at the newbness, toss a clue over here so I can order some new wheels without returning them.

RC Competitor
    Making progress... I found this quote:

Half-ups refer to the bead mounting diameter sized at 3.7" for today's low profile racing tires. Half-ups truck wheels make a statement with their large appearance, spoke design and superior inner rib design. Half-ups wheels also incorporate an outer glue catch that resists excess glue from running down the wheel face during the gluing process.
    Would that mean that Half-Up is the same as LPR? (Low Profile Racing)