RC Enthusiast

losing wheel nuts...

I just picked up a new set of proline rims and dirt hawg tires for my rustler, glued them up last night, when I got home from work today I wanted to try them out. After less than 2 minutes truck is stuck, when I got there, the wheel is off, adapter was still there, but the wheel nut was missing, well that was a bit of a ****er, but not too bad, went to the garage and stole one off the bandit, and went out to the road... 2 minutes later, the same tire was off, this time I lost the wheel nut and the small pin behind the adapter. What gives? Yes it was properly tightned. So whats going on?

RC Qualifier
    little dab of super glue....
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Enthusiast
    they are nylock nuts, I have never had this problem before, and am not looking to glue my stuff toghether, There has to be some correctable problem

RC Qualifier
    your right but maybe your rim is catching the bolt somehow???
    huked awn fonics werkeded 4 mee

RC Racer
    is the threading on the screw stripped.
    2 rustys
    1 rebuilt pede

RC Champion
    sounds like it's not getting deep enough to catch the nylock, the new rims may be wider, what i do is take the wheel off, then put the nut on the axle, turn it a few times to get some grooves dug in to the nylock, then put the wheel back on and put the nut on backwards.... seems to work pretty well..
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

The idea T3rry suggested is used a lot and does seem to work pretty well. Others use blue loctite and that works well also. I have been using the flanged lock nuts from Traxxas and if anything they seem to get tighter on the truck as I run it and sometimes are down right hard to get off.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    I will have to try the backward nut trick... the second wheel nut lost was of the flanged variety. I know the blue locktite is not permanent, but does it make it really hard to remove? I have a set of anacondas that I use for road bashing, so I don't want to make it overly complicated.

RC Enthusiast
    Blue locktite breaks loose pretty easy if you are using a nut driver.. not the four way tool that came with the truck.. I run it on mine because of the same problem.

RC Champion
    yeah, blue is ok, it's meant to be mild, just don't put red on it.
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

RC Champion
    The Traxxas tool will still easily remove a wheel nut that has been used with blue loctite (unless you are a wimp).

RC Qualifier
    You can also touch the nut with a soldering iron to melt and loosen the locktite a little. Just be sure you don't touch the rim, tire, or anything else that's not metal with the iron. Just use caution and judgment and don't overdo it if you try that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by T3rry
    yeah, blue is ok, it's meant to be mild, just don't put red on it.
    yea thats the only kind i hace and i just put a dab on the end of the nut after i screwd it in. come to find out if drew throught the entire nut and axle screw so that was a pain to get off. i had to use vice grip to hold the hex hubs or else they would have stripped out the hex hole in the rim.

RC poster
    I had this exact problem with my proline torq rims and dirt hawgs on the rear. I just tightened it down as hard as I could and haven't had a problem since.

If you do use the blue locktite and have problems getting it off by hand just heat it up a little with the wifey's blow dryer and it will pop loose.

Eric

RC Champion
    if the wheels came with new drive hexes use them, your new wheels may be thicker, i know that my rpm wheels are thicker and require thinner hexes than the traxxas wheels. Using traxxas hexes with rpm wheels = lost wheel running down street.
    It spaces the nut out far enough that the nylon locking portion does not catch the threads very well
    Sanding fiberglass subwoofer enclosures...AGAIN!

RC Qualifier
    Where the weakest are killed and eaten for the daily survival
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeitagain
    if the wheels came with new drive hexes use them, your new wheels may be thicker, i know that my rpm wheels are thicker and require thinner hexes than the traxxas wheels. Using traxxas hexes with rpm wheels = lost wheel running down street.
    It spaces the nut out far enough that the nylon locking portion does not catch the threads very well
    Used to have that problem. I just turned them around. That is now a problem of the past.
    Nobama '08 Welcome to the greatest depression.