Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Yes, it may be a small variation in size; but as you say it is mainly the way the wires come out that is the problem. Without the wires I would be able to shut the door - just. But I can't do so with the wires there (without bending them horribly). But it's fixable with a little drilling/dremmeling... I think I may just drill a hole in the middle of the door for the wires to come out from.

On another note, I would not have chosen those bullet connectors, and had been planning to cut them off to fit Traxxas ones... but then I remembered that I needed to make a parallel harness anyway, and sticking with the bullet connectors for that would mean I would never be able to accidentally connect the two 5s packs in series (as my series harness uses normal plugs). So I made up the parallel connector with those bullets, and actually I must say they are quite convenient - no heat shrink, no shorts, easy to solder and easy to connect/disconnect... and they can clearly take the current.
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info,
    I was wondering about this problem to, and I started a thread about it a while ago.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=470436
    Pay special attention to the last post by mistercrash, this simple mod would solve your problem, right?

RC Competitor
    Hasanyone tried 5s on the 775? I only have 2s packs, but might pick up a couple 3s if it will work.

RC Competitor
    Update on running 5S in parallel with DeWalt and EVX2. Finally went to do some running /temperature testing of this setup today, unfortunately the ESC appears to have passed away in its sleep. After trying 5S last week and getting thermalling after 15 minutes I decided to go back to running 4S today to get some motor/ESC/battery temps before trying 5S again.

ESC led going immediately to red, steering still working -no throttle . I am assuming the BEC is still working as I have steering available? so I'm not sure if running 5S is advisable even with 2S+3S (2S on BEC side). I'm know others are doing this though with success so I may just have another problem with my EVX2 not related to running it on 5S but after 30+ trouble free runs on 4S also in parallel, it seems likely that after 2 short runs the 5S caused the failure.
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of trying this, to be prepared to possibly blow your ESC. I knew it was a bit of a risk but as I was about to install MMM I thought it was worth trying.

It's a pity it didn't work as it was a pretty quick water-resistant setup while it lasted. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for running 5S with EVX2. Me, I'm going brushless for now.

RC Racer
    From what you're saying, the BEC is still working. So the BEC can handle 5s, so buying the external BEC wasn't the solution.

Just because others are running 5s, be it 2s+3s it doens't matter, means the MOSFET's can handle that voltage. It will cause extra heat on the EVX-2 though.
    But the Dewalt seems to be asking for more current than the motors they run on 5s, that increased current draw also causes increased heat (alot of heat).

The 14,4V Dewalt on 5s seems to be drawing to much current for the EVX2 (which is only rated to 30A cont 180A burst).

OR there is some other issue...
    Traxxas will repair your EVX2, so maybe send it in?
    Your post was edited for inappropriate language.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelgium
    From what you're saying, the BEC is still working. So the BEC can handle 5s, so buying the external BEC wasn't the solution.

Just because others are running 5s, be it 2s+3s it doens't matter, means the MOSFET's can handle that voltage. It will cause extra heat on the EVX-2 though.
    But the Dewalt seems to be asking for more current than the motors they run on 5s, that increased current draw also causes increased heat (alot of heat).

The 14,4V Dewalt on 5s seems to be drawing to much current for the EVX2 (which is only rated to 30A cont 180A burst).

OR there is some other issue...
    Traxxas will repair your EVX2, so maybe send it in?
    Okay, in the process of installing spektrum radio gear for use with brushless setup, I opened the receiver box and found a load of dirt/water in there, moisture inside receiver as well. After cleaning all the plugs/ connectors I tried the ESC again on the workbench with only the ESC connected - result, ESC lives again.
    Since the Castle motor and ESC are already installed , I'll get back to trying the DeWalt/5S/EVX2 setup later.

RC Racer
    Cool!
    Can't wait to see/hear some results
    A comparison between the two setups would be awesome. We all know the outcome though...
    Your post was edited for inappropriate language.

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone else get any further on this? I have a Dewalt and EVX2 that need some punishment prior to going brushless, and I'd like to go with 5s so that I'm ready for the brushless too.

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone? Anyone?

I want to order some 5s, but I admit I'm chickening out here...

But in theory, it should work... My 7cell NiMH are getting very tired, and I need a new baterry solution for the Dewalt/EVX-2...

RC Qualifier
    captain cranker you got a pm
    merv and erbe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12