Thread: Tire Balancer

RC Racer

Tire Balancer

Anyone know where I can get a goods tire balancer??
    Easy on the throttle, then punch it!

RC Champion
    I think most people use the Dubro Prop balancer. I'm just going to make my own.
    Revo, Brushless, 50mph, $800, No You Cant

RC Competitor
    Take a part of an old axle. Put in the axle carrier, and you've got your self a cheap though effectiv tire balancer.

RC Racer
    So when you have a unbalanced tire, how do you balance them?
    Revo Brushless first rc car!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bricks
    Take a part of an old axle. Put in the axle carrier, and you've got your self a cheap though effectiv tire balancer.
    Thats what i do

RC Champion
    cdose, check out proline's website or squirrels youtube vid, all your questions will be answered
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't mean to be mean, but please use the search function!!! This has not only been asked and answered, the thread is still on the first page!!!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC poster
    I bought some MT sized Mashers and Jconcepts MT sized wheels. ($80) Took the time to RIT dye them black. (2 hours). I wrapped the inside of the tires with one even wrap of black duct tape. Then glued the tires to the rims. (1.5 hours)

The first run I wanted to scream. After all that work they were so out of balance and shaking the truck to death that I stopped running after 30 seconds. And trust me I tried REALLY hard to glue them as even as possible.

Today I removed the front right axle and installed a broken axle stub that basically amounted to part 5454 and 5453 with the ears broken off. I mounted up one of the new unbalanced wheels and hung the front of the truck off the end of the workbench.

I spun it a few times and it quickly stopped with the heavy side down. I spun it a few more times to be sure and it always landed the same. I stuck on a little piece of tape to mark the spot.

I took some weights from a pinewood derby weight kit and stuck them on the inside of the rim opposite of the heavy side. I installed one at a time and spun the wheel again until the "heavy" side became more random (less definite). Once I knew how much weight I needed I took off the weights, cleaned the rims, and installed new 3m VHB tape to the weights.

I repeated this for all 4 wheels and then mounted them up. The truck is so much better. Its not "perfect" but its completely drivable and very close to the smoothness of the as new stock Talons.

It seems the wheel/tire issue with brushless speed levels are the achilles heel of these trucks. Even for bashing out of balance wheels ruin the experience and I would guess are very damaging to the truck.

All in all I have a total of 8 hours into dying, taping, gluing and balancing one set of tires. After this I know for sure there is a market for premade pretaped, preglued (right) wheels and tires that can take brushless power.

Good luck everyone.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I recommend balancing putty, not stick-on weights...it's easier to get the perfect precise weight you need, and easier to install.

RC Champion
    I have used 3m poster putty, cheap, readily available anywhere ( I got some at 10pm at a drug store when I was up late working on the unit )

It hasn't ever come off or shifted so I'm happy
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    I recommend balancing putty, not stick-on weights...it's easier to get the perfect precise weight you need, and easier to install.
    That probably works fine too. I just used quite a bit of weight so I had doubts about that much putty.

RC Qualifier
    Where do you find balancing putty?
    Slash 2WD, Slash 4WD, T-Rex 250
    It's only money!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any online hobby store, LHS, etc....a lot of balancers come with it.