RC Enthusiast

Show what makes your Jato GO VROOM

I'm thinking about swapping out my 3.3 engine on my Jato I been looking at engine options on Ebay, Towwer, and others I see they come in many sizes and configures and it looks like most .21 engines are border line fits.
    So now I ask you guys to Show and Tell what you have on your Jato and what you had to do to get it to work.
    I'd like to be able to keep same RPM range or more It won't be a paper weight and I want it to look like it BELONGS on the chassis.
    I like to bash at the park and I chase 1:1 cars and dogs up and down my street

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you want speed, go small block... they have much higher rpm's... big blocks only give you excessive torque which is unnecessary for a Jato... this is a masterful motor, will set you back but it will give you speed... 12XZ OS
    If you don't like Nitro, you don't like anything!

RC Champion
    i would reccomend the os 18tz it has a little more power and tourque and it makes anything exztremly fast...and btw the 3.3 is a small block anything under a .21 is a smallblock and the 3.3 is a .20
    if its fast its a rustler

RC Qualifier
    i run a few os 18 tm's, traxxas 3.3s, hpi .18 and threw a thunder tiger pro .12 in as well. the os 18tm is a better mill than all of the above imo but thats me. the os holds a tune better, the low end is great and top end is better than the 3.3. i sux that they quit making the 18tm but sometimes you can run across them. i do have a brand new 18tm that i would be willing to part with if anyone is interested-just pm me
    sig edited for content

Quote Originally Posted by Switch_639
    if you want speed, go small block... they have much higher rpm's... big blocks only give you excessive torque which is unnecessary for a Jato... this is a masterful motor, will set you back but it will give you speed... 12XZ OS
    hay Switch .. that's appears one bullet engine have you know anyone installed it over a jato & if yes, how easy to install it ?

RC Qualifier

Got to go with the O.S. 18TZ....

The picture is quite outdated, im running it with a back plate and bump starting it now. It drops in well, in this picture it has an O.S. 18tm crank in, but now im running the TZ's SG crank to work with the back plate. Its a pain to grind down the crank screw threads but well worth it. will post some more updated questions soon. Any questions please feel free to PM me.
    O.S .18TZ Powered Jato
    Simple as.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO
    hay Switch .. that's appears one bullet engine have you know anyone installed it over a jato & if yes, how easy to install it ?
    I would think that the 12xz would install just like a 18tz, I would think they both have the same style crank shaft...

But I like my choice of the jlr red dot .12. It was extremly easy to install, only needed to cut a flywheel nut. And with the 18tz install I would recomend using a shorter bearing before you do anything to the engine.
    R/C is expensive...

RC Champion
    I love the TZ in mine, Jato360, what bumpbox are you using?
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Enthusiast
    a .12 engine is .06 ci smaller than the 3.3 trx right?
    So are you RC Kid and Jato360 saying the .12 preforms as good or better than the 3.3 trx engine?
    I did see the red dot spools up around 40k rpm
    I want something that has good power & RPM ratio
    My Jato spools fast spins the wheels at wot from low to mid rolling speed starts but won't hop a wheelie for sh*& except on concrete - side walk it jumps up soon as the trigger is pulled but on black top or gravel - maybe on cracked up street and in second gear I'll get a wheelie
    The anacondas just won't hook up and the proline dirt heads threw their knobbies in no time they was shredded in 2 or 3 tanks
    Anyways I want something that I can easily swap the trx 3.3 with when/if it croaks with hardly any modds, that can keep it's own or better next to a trx 3.3, that tunes easy too

RC Qualifier
    os 18tm would be your best friend. and as i said i have a brand new one for sale
    sig edited for content

RC Qualifier
    btw i used to live in c-bus before i moved to texas. i miss it sooooo much.
    sig edited for content

RC Champion
    I have dirt hawgs on mine, and couldn't wheelie for nothing with the 3.3, it spun like crazy, but still no wheelies.

I put the 18tz on there, and it still spun like crazy, but would walk all the way to second, while spinning, it's pretty amazing
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by turborx7gen2
    btw i used to live in c-bus before i moved to texas. i miss it sooooo much.
    aint that it I miss Texas

RC Enthusiast
    tz?
    tm?
    whats diffrent?

tz is design for on-road, got higher rmp(40,000+ I think)
    tm got 35,000rpm
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    I don't know why some of you can not wheelie your 3.3, because I am stock with a drilled stinger and I was power wheelieing second gear. I slammed my jato to the floor because it wheelied to much, I could not control it. Now i can to a certain degree, back end steps out hard.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sein01
    I don't know why some of you can not wheelie your 3.3, because I am stock with a drilled stinger and I was power wheelieing second gear. I slammed my jato to the floor because it wheelied to much, I could not control it. Now i can to a certain degree, back end steps out hard.
    I'm spinning too hard mostly and battery in the middle probably don't help get the front up
    I was hoping in saying can't wheelie someone would speak up and tell me what to use to get better grip on blacktop?
    I drilled stinger too and now it seems to rev faster and spin harder
    Oh yea 205/210 is my hi temp around 70 degree out side and lose smoke trail once speed up to 3/4 to wide open wind speed and jato speed is what I assumed is why loss of smoke trail?

RC Champion
    The .12 do usually spin higher than the 3.3's. I have yet to start my red-dot but I expect the upper 60's to 70's with the engine. But If money is no option then I would say get the 12xz from o.s. The only problem with the red dot is that all I will be able to run is stock gearing since the crank-case is so big. But I will make my own geto gearing.
    R/C is expensive...

RC Qualifier
    Yea the TZ is for on-road cars normally but still copes well off road, it revs at just over 40,000 RPM like Rc_crazy said. I use a helicopter gyro to keep it in a straight like on dirt and for when the wheels are spinning on tarmac which is located on top of the receiver box. Im using a fasttrax allstart bump box shown in the photo, (Link to the box that replaced it) The TZ will easily spin the wheels until 2nd gear but to stop that just change the wheels for the surface your running on. Wheelies on demand if you want; just apply the throttle gently to get grip.

O.S .18TZ Powered Jato
    Simple as.

RC Qualifier
    gyro?? how does that work
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/********* A REAL FORUM

RC Enthusiast
    yea hows the gyro work?
    Does it keep the spinning down?

RC Qualifier
    Nah, the gyro is is off of a helicoptor, it is essentially a hpi dbox. It counter steers when the car starts spinning out like the futaba active steering servo, it keeps the car in a straight line. Also helps you to drift. Skip to about 2mins 30 secs in the following video and you will get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGA2...rom=PL&index=7
    O.S .18TZ Powered Jato
    Simple as.

RC Qualifier
    thats awsome.
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/********* A REAL FORUM