Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Motor Heatsink recommendations for the Mini Revo ?

Recommendations anyone ?

RC Competitor
    I have this on order. It is made for a 28mm 380 motor. I had read the 1/16 VXL is also 28mm in diameter so hopefully it will work.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPU9&P=ML

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sggeaux
    Recommendations anyone ?
    There are lots of 380 sized motor sinks in the RC Heli world (search for "sink" at http://www.helihobby.com/) When you get your mini, go to your LHS and try a few. The only trick is you may need to do some customizations with a hacksaw.

I'd like to warn you, though, that an inadequate sink is a liability and not an asset. If you are not finding a sink that looks sufficient (good mass, surface area) DON'T GET IT! There is some high dollar CRUD out there! (For example, the 540 sized http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNDP1&P=7 )

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For a heat sink to properly absorb heat from the motor and dissipate it via its cooling fins, it needs to fit very tightly and have the proper tolerances so that the majority of the heatsink surfaces is seated against the motor can. If you have a small pocket of air in between, then it acts like a huge insulator and will then actually have a reverse effect. Instead of the heatsink helping to cool the motor, it is now trapping heat in, since the area it is covering is not properly transferring heat to the heatsink and since it is covered it cannot release it to the environment on its own.

An example of a good heatsink is the ones which are included in the Novak HV-Maxx motor systems. if you have ever taken one off and/or put on one an HV-Maxx motor, you will notice that the fit is extremely tight.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Most any 380 size heatsink should fit and will help keep the motor cool..

But this new mini brushless may not even need one.

RC Racer
    Has anyone installed or used these above linked heatsinks on the mini VXL motor yet? Do they fit properly with full contact?

RC Champion
    I should have this one in a day or 2 , I will post how it fits .
    http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...7301&cat_name=
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Racer
    Interesting how the center is cut open.

RC Qualifier
    Yeaaaaah....must be for brushed motors which often have vents. You want as much surface area contacting the can as possible. Heat does not like to travel far.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyTire
    Interesting how the center is cut open.

RC Racer
    I have the Duratrax one and it seems to be working pretty well.

BUT !!!

You can no longer remove the radio box cover or adjust the slipper without removing the motor

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TLTRyan
    I have this on order. It is made for a 28mm 380 motor. I had read the 1/16 VXL is also 28mm in diameter so hopefully it will work.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJPU9&P=ML

And it works. I had forgotten about this thread.

RC Competitor
    These work also.
    (2)E-LST's(2)E-Lightning Stadium Pro2's(3)E-Revo's

RC Racer
    I run this and an air scoop. The temp. never got above 145F doing 20 minute speed runs on 3s.

It's glued on with 60/40 thermal adhesive to thermal paste. I can pick up the whole car just by holding the heatsink, yet I can simply flick my wrist and break it off if need be.

RC Qualifier
    AzNsinister,
    Can you share your source for that heatsink?

I'm going to give this one a try, knowing that I may have to cut some of it off where the motor comes close to the chassis. Should still be a solid, effective heatsink though.
    http://www.helidirect.com/medusa-mot...lue-p-6986.hdx

RC Enthusiast
    This one saya specifically will not fit brushless 380 motors......

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kazuaki
    AzNsinister,
    Can you share your source for that heatsink?
    Sure it's from Hobby People. However this is a 540 heatsink that you will have to shape and cut to fit a brushless 380 can. It took me nearly 40 minutes and a blistered hand to get a snug and gap free fit.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AzNsinister
    I run this and an air scoop. The temp. never got above 145F doing 20 minute speed runs on 3s.

It's glued on with 60/40 thermal adhesive to thermal paste. I can pick up the whole car just by holding the heatsink, yet I can simply flick my wrist and break it off if need be.

Where did yors come from, or do you have a link?????
    PICK UP TRUCK,A BLONDE & A BASSBOAT & 80%.

RC Qualifier
    don't bother with mods guys, the duratrax heat sink works perfectly, and the fitment is like it is designed for the mini.
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus
    OMG look at the post above... #16
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTEC
    don't bother with mods guys, the duratrax heat sink works perfectly, and the fitment is like it is designed for the mini.
    I'm not saying that you're wrong about the Duratrax working perfectly... but, the XTM 540 heat sink (when properly modified as AzNsinister seems to have done) would certainly offer more surface area to suck-up the heat from the motor. Going along with the extra heat that it can suck-up, those cooling fins appear to be much larger than the Duratrax, and thus would provide much more cooling ability.

Think about it, more motor contact means more heat absorption, longer fins means more surface area for greater heat dissipation. I guess the real question is how much of a difference does it truly make (in degrees) compared to the Duratrax... Another question would be, who here is Man (or Woman) enough to properly complete the mod that AzNsinister has shown us, and otherwise... how many of us want to be running the same 3-5 heat sinks we've seen otherwise (I know there are more than just 3-5 out there that will fit).

Showing us this mod has likely opened up a whole new door for heat sink mods to come.

I applaud you, AzNsinister.
    http://tinyurl.com/RokeyLounges-MERV

RC Qualifier
    Not to mention the Duratarx one has been backordered everywhere for a while...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kazuaki
    Not to mention the Duratarx one has been backordered everywhere for a while...
    probably because everyone ("and their brother") got a MRVXL (and good for them), and then came here, AND THEN read posts from all of the people here saying that heat sink is the greatest, and now there is a world-wide shortage.

whew! that was a fun rant.
    http://tinyurl.com/RokeyLounges-MERV

Quote Originally Posted by sggeaux
    I have the Duratrax one and it seems to be working pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTEC
    Well, I bought it and it's not very good... There's like a 0.2mm gap between the motor and the heatsink (you can see through it or slide a piece of paper) and I had to use thermal paste to fill that gap... In my case is worst the solution than the problem... Now, I bought the one with the center cut open, but it hasn't arrived yet...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Qualifier
    i run the duratrax mini quake also, works well. got it from tower
    4Sale: 3.3 Trans/Opti-drive, EZStart

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RokeyLounge
    I'm not saying that you're wrong about the Duratrax working perfectly... but, the XTM 540 heat sink (when properly modified as AzNsinister seems to have done) would certainly offer more surface area to suck-up the heat from the motor. Going along with the extra heat that it can suck-up, those cooling fins appear to be much larger than the Duratrax, and thus would provide much more cooling ability.

Think about it, more motor contact means more heat absorption, longer fins means more surface area for greater heat dissipation. I guess the real question is how much of a difference does it truly make (in degrees) compared to the Duratrax... Another question would be, who here is Man (or Woman) enough to properly complete the mod that AzNsinister has shown us, and otherwise... how many of us want to be running the same 3-5 heat sinks we've seen otherwise (I know there are more than just 3-5 out there that will fit).

Showing us this mod has likely opened up a whole new door for heat sink mods to come.

I applaud you, AzNsinister.
    Thanks, like someone said on a different thread, half of the fun in owning an rc is building it.

RC Qualifier
    Do you all use vents on your body? Any extra advise before I move forward and cut my lexan body?

Ref. thread :
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...highlight=vent

Candy76man version

binaryd version

RC Qualifier
    Great, they just changed the arrival date from early August to LATE SEPTEMBER on Tower, looks like I may be changing my backorder from them...
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Competitor
    Just ordered the XTM Heat Sink from Hobby People, figure I have a Dremel
    Chris

My rides- Slash 4x4, 1/16 MERV

RC Enthusiast
    I went to my LHS and bought a gold heatsink that's meant for an Align TREX 450. Fits directly on it. Also, a very HIGH recommendation is to get heat sink paste. It never solidifies and will wipe right off of the motor if you change your heat sink or just want to clean. It doesn't damage the finish in anyway. It was a whopping 3.99 for the heat sink and 1.99 for the paste.
    Regards,
    Brandon

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bart2546
    I went to my LHS and bought a gold heatsink that's meant for an Align TREX 450. Fits directly on it. Also, a very HIGH recommendation is to get heat sink paste. It never solidifies and will wipe right off of the motor if you change your heat sink or just want to clean. It doesn't damage the finish in anyway. It was a whopping 3.99 for the heat sink and 1.99 for the paste.
    What you also need is thermal adhesive that you can mix with thermal paste in a 60/40 ratio respectively. Using the paste alone will cause the heatsink to slide and it gets messy, but with the mixture it is stong enough for you to hold up the truck by the heatsink yet you can break it off with force.

RC Competitor
    I got this one off ebay for $7 shipped but it was too thin and broke as I tried to make it fit tight.

RC Qualifier
    fyi, I had two of the duratrax sinks on order with hobbywherehouse and one of the people there emailed me today saying duratrax said they were no longer making this part... so people who say they are getting more are probably not.. tower changed their due date to late Sept just today or yesterday... I bet they don't get any..

RC Qualifier
    That's EXACTLY what I figured happened, everybody had extras, then when people bought them for the minis they realized Duratrax didn't even make them anymore.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

I wasn't so good anyways...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bart2546
    Wow bart2546...the TREX 450 heat sink is a perfect fit, with large fins, and still leaves you complete access to the receiver. Align part number K10175A, and less than $4.00. I had one on my trex 450, and pulled it off to try it.

RC Racer
    ^^^^ that's a sweet looking heatsink. Do you plan on using two?

RC Qualifier
    Only 1 is required (will fit), based on the dimensions. Please post a picture of it installed...

Mine is on order...

RC Champion

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    I should have this one in a day or 2 , I will post how it fits .

hey man but read the discription of the product it says will NOT Fit brushless 380 size motors
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Champion

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus

ya exactly can u give us the link for it much appreciated!!!
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Qualifier
    ... one source, Google it for others...

Brushless Motor Heat Sink [AGNK10175A]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast