Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161

    Why SHOULDN'T I Get One?

    So I jumped back in this hobby about a year ago with a Rustler VXL after some research. I like my VXL but like most in the hobby, I want shiny new stuff

    I primarily run it in the street and yard on fairly short grass and some grass/dirt mix. I don't know much about minis as I didn't really give them a look when I was shopping around. I felt they were too small for where I was running it.

    With that said, is there a reason why I shouldn't get one? With minis, are they limited with where they can run? What's the ground clearance on the 1/16 Revo? Should I just take about half the amount of money I would spend on the Revo and put into the Rustler?

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    38
    Well, it will pretty much drive everywhere you want it to, but if you want the ground clearance, then get a rustler. Its up to you, man!
    Rustlers are just as fun too!

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    Yeah, I've got a Rustler VXL. I was just wondering if there was any downside to a mini - particularly this Revo. What's the draw to the mini cars? I guess my main draw to this car is that it's everything the full size is but smaller.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    365
    well there smaller, is a downside, there arnt any other minis out there in that size.

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    202
    Downside i cant think of many. Ground clearence could be and issue but i doubt it. It has 4wd which should help alot. I think it will have similar ground clearence to that of the traxxas bandit. From what i have read the bandit guys dont let much stop them from having fun even in grass. I would say also the revo should be better on the grass then the slash due to the larger tires.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    886
    dont know about downside but the biggest upside is probably the 4wd and everything is waterproof. Although the new VXLs are waterproof so... I was thinking about one myself for the wet and rainy days.
    Rustler VXL FLM-Pede VXL Slash PE

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,166
    i like the portability along with all other positives mentioned above.


    sometimes i just don't want to drag 3 big huge bins with me (containing my cars and tools)
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by T3rry
    i like the portability along with all other positives mentioned above.


    sometimes i just don't want to drag 3 big huge bins with me (containing my cars and tools)
    That's exactly what I like. Plus the cheap batteries.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    261
    i like the portability of it, this is HUGE for me. It's not easy taking my Summit everywhere with me.
    Summit + Mini Revo = RC Bliss

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    2SON AZ
    Posts
    190
    My personal opinion is that this will be huge. Bigger than anyone could expect. I believe it will pass the Slash sales 10 times. Only my opinion, but time will tell. There is no reason not to get one. I can't wait.

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanman11
    My personal opinion is that this will be huge. Bigger than anyone could expect. I believe it will pass the Slash sales 10 times. Only my opinion, but time will tell. There is no reason not to get one. I can't wait.
    i disagree, while RC enthusiasts are very excited about this... most first timers buy with their wallet, not their knowledge and research, and they are a lot of cheaper alternatives in the same general class/size.

    i think it will have a very loyal following, and will get aftermarket support, but i don't think it'll explode like the slash did, the slash only did because of new innovations, such as waterproof, and cheap (relatively)...
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    No reason not to get a Traxxas Mini

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by T3rry
    i like the portability along with all other positives mentioned above.


    sometimes i just don't want to drag 3 big huge bins with me (containing my cars and tools)


    I totally agree! You know, when I first got into the hobby it was for fun. Everyone else around me was VERY serious about racing and ridiculed me for having "bashing" trucks like the tamiya prerunner, bandit, tmaxx(first one) and others.
    So, I think this new mini slash or revo will TOTALLY bring out the fun factor once again.
    Ok, I stand corrected...apparently many trucks have done this. Like the 1/10 slash...
    But still!!

    Who would want to carry about tons of gear only to drive for an hour or two?
    What happened to the fun?

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ft Wayne, IN
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanman11
    My personal opinion is that this will be huge. Bigger than anyone could expect. I believe it will pass the Slash sales 10 times. Only my opinion, but time will tell. There is no reason not to get one. I can't wait.
    There is no way they are going to sell as many $300 mini RC's as Slashs, let alone 10 times more.

    The slash was one of the biggest things to hit the RC industry in quite some time.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    2,455
    I'm looking forward to getting my minis for a few reasons. Great bang for the buck, brushless, right out of the box, 4WD, it's not as small as the 1/18 minis, it comes with everything you need, does 30 to 50mph without LiPos, and it's really cool. I primarily run nitro for fast fun, and I had a Rustler VXL back in the day. I sold it, after doing a ton of upgrades, mostly because I wanted 4WD, and it was just more fun to fill up the tank of the Revo 3.3, rather then charge batteries. Basically these minis fit the bill for a lot of fun, and it's got that simple plug and play ease of use. If I want to do a couple quick runs before I leave for work, electrics are just easier and quicker to take for a spin. These minis should be a blast! Take'em anywhere.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    204
    I got a rustler vxl also. Im getting one of these cause i sold my mini lst2. I hope its going to be faster than my rustler or im not going to be a happy camper.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Japan, getting a new mill
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorStew
    So I jumped back in this hobby about a year ago with a Rustler VXL after some research. I like my VXL but like most in the hobby, I want shiny new stuff

    I primarily run it in the street and yard on fairly short grass and some grass/dirt mix. I don't know much about minis as I didn't really give them a look when I was shopping around. I felt they were too small for where I was running it.

    With that said, is there a reason why I shouldn't get one? With minis, are they limited with where they can run? What's the ground clearance on the 1/16 Revo? Should I just take about half the amount of money I would spend on the Revo and put into the Rustler?
    You shouldn't get one because they are for small children and females. I'm getting my daughter one for her sixth b-bay.
    Those things are a joke.

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    246
    "a joke" you say...

    well.. I could think of a joke:
    imagine the face of a sales guy being driven out of the tech department with an armada of minis with a voice module on each of them shouting: "EXTERMINATE!" in a daleks voice.

    the minis are just right for places where the big ones are just too big.
    e.g. the office, a small garden,...

    I love my big erevo, but I've ordered a mini too
    (not as a replacement)
    E-Revo,700HO/Novak5.5,5Ah LiPos
    Baja 5B SS
    MERV

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by ////AMG
    I got a rustler vxl also. Im getting one of these cause i sold my mini lst2. I hope its going to be faster than my rustler or im not going to be a happy camper.
    Hmm, heads up. The rustler vxl is about 20 mph faster then the mini revo. I think it will be tough enough at 50 let a lone wanting it to go faster then a rustler vxl.

    Quote Originally Posted by THEE MAN
    You shouldn't get one because they are for small children and females. I'm getting my daughter one for her sixth b-bay.
    Those things are a joke.
    Hey thats not cool dude. THat would be like saying a full sized revo is only men. Total doesnt make sense. I would think this truck would be a handful for a 6 year old. This is definatly not a cheap slow r/c vehicle from walmart. It will require some skill and should be a blast for any one to drive.
    Last edited by POD87; 06-04-2009 at 03:27 AM.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    267
    I think the main (and about only) downside is - ironically - its size. It will not behave like its larger brother and it will not handle as well. The smaller a car gets, the more it usually hops and bounces, especially if it is just as fast as the larger car and therefore actually much faster in relation.

    But I too think that the pros outweight the cons but I will only get one as a fun "backup" car when my BL E-Revo is out of juice or if I just want to have fun quickly.

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by POD87
    Hmm, heads up. The rustler vxl is about 20 mph faster then the mini revo. I think it will be tough enough at 50 let a lone wanting it to go faster then a rustler vxl.
    My rustler hits like 40-45mph on a 4600 6 cell. So there might be a slight chance this could be faster.

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by ////AMG
    My rustler hits like 40-45mph on a 4600 6 cell. So there might be a slight chance this could be faster.
    yeah, it really depends on whay you put in this, and what's in your rustler, if you get the dual packs in this, it should be comparable.
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

  23. #23
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9
    Hmm, I have to say its size(?), and the damage to your wallet(Atleast mine LOL)

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    Cool. Thanks for the replies. I think the size is the biggest issue, although is larger than most minis. I may wait to see how some owners like it while checking out some videos before deciding.

  25. #25
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    152
    why not? because they won't come out! now that its clear they've completely missed the release date that passed, i am seriously looking for something else to spend my money on.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Japan, getting a new mill
    Posts
    369
    It wont be too much for her she drives her rustler with no problem. All that speed is for strait line driving turn it and it will roll.

  27. #27
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Genoa , IL.
    Posts
    1,934
    The only real downside too them is their price , which IMO is still a bargain at 300 .

    The upsides are many IMO , this seems to be the first mini that will actually stand up to some major power without a lot of hop ups and modification . I have a Mini LST2 that I have about 500 into too make it handle great and haul ash .

    I bet it will run great on a track , I can run most 1/8 scale tracks with my MLST2 with no problems .

    I also think this truck will bring the mini scene back in a big way cause you dont need a large track too run it on .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canal Winchester, Ohio
    Posts
    413
    why not? because they won't come out! now that its clear they've completely missed the release date that passed, i am seriously looking for something else to spend my money on.
    Realx buddy it will be here. The release dates are missed all the time. The ERBE was supposed to be under our x-mas tree last year then got pushed back to mid Jan., then mid Feb. and it cost almost twice as much. Traxxas will get them out. things happen last minute that pushes back dates. I just orderd a new R/C plane and it was supposed to ship on 5/31 then I got an email that it got pushed back to the end of June because the company printing the boxes printed the top of the box on the bottom. Things happen and if you stay in the R/C hobby long enough you will get used to the dates getting pushed back, it happens all the time and not just for Traxxas. I'm still waiting for a plane that the maufacture and company rep. promissed 3 years ago. They built it.........it will come(whispers the corn field)
    L.U. 189
    VXL Rustler
    ERBE

  29. #29
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by l_kuczy
    Realx buddy it will be here. The release dates are missed all the time. The ERBE was supposed to be under our x-mas tree last year then got pushed back to mid Jan., then mid Feb. and it cost almost twice as much. Traxxas will get them out. things happen last minute that pushes back dates. I just orderd a new R/C plane and it was supposed to ship on 5/31 then I got an email that it got pushed back to the end of June because the company printing the boxes printed the top of the box on the bottom. Things happen and if you stay in the R/C hobby long enough you will get used to the dates getting pushed back, it happens all the time and not just for Traxxas. I'm still waiting for a plane that the maufacture and company rep. promissed 3 years ago. They built it.........it will come(whispers the corn field)
    I know it's cliched but yeah, these things happen. Much like the video game industry, delays happen and happen often. I guess the only difference here is that they did give a concrete release date. I can't think of too many other products where a concrete release date was given and then pushed back to an 'Unknown' status. Weird really.

    At least in the games biz they'll give you the ole "Holiday Season Release Date' only to be pushed back to the dreaded 'Spring Release Date' once August arrives.

  30. #30
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,166
    you guys are all so obsessed on this "release date", ok, fine, call it released if it makes you feel any better, but you still wont get your truck any faster.
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    I have many hours on my mini and I find no reason not to have one!

  32. #32
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    119
    No it's not gonna drive anywhere you want it to. My mini lst 2 has a higher ground clearance than the mini e-revo and it can barely go through grass thats like 2 inches tall. And even if the mini e-revo or mini lst 2 could they would be extremely slow in it. If you really want to see why you shouldnt get it go on the hpi e-savage forums. They have alot of people talking about it and they changed my mined in getting one.

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    The mini erevo will woop on a mini lst2 big time!

    These little trucks rock!

  34. #34
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOSE117
    No it's not gonna drive anywhere you want it to. My mini lst 2 has a higher ground clearance than the mini e-revo and it can barely go through grass thats like 2 inches tall. And even if the mini e-revo or mini lst 2 could they would be extremely slow in it. If you really want to see why you shouldnt get it go on the hpi e-savage forums. They have alot of people talking about it and they changed my mined in getting one.
    Some let me get this straight... They are basing there opinion on what? The truck isnt even out and plus you are getting biased opinions from that forum. Thats like me going onto a dodge forum and asking for input on chevys... What do you think the guys on the dodge forum would say. I think these are going to be great little trucks. But remember, you are on a traxxas forum so maybe i am a bit biased but i think filmaker has some good input. I still say go for it. I had a Mini Lst and i still was able to take that many of places. I hope though traxxas blows the lst out of water for durability.

  35. #35
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada EH!
    Posts
    1,080
    i dont see it having that much trouble going through grass because my losi micro can handle short grass.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

  36. #36
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by POD87
    Some let me get this straight... They are basing there opinion on what? The truck isnt even out and plus you are getting biased opinions from that forum. Thats like me going onto a dodge forum and asking for input on chevys... What do you think the guys on the dodge forum would say. I think these are going to be great little trucks. But remember, you are on a traxxas forum so maybe i am a bit biased but i think filmaker has some good input. I still say go for it. I had a Mini Lst and i still was able to take that many of places. I hope though traxxas blows the lst out of water for durability.

    Its a fact not opinion...
    I had a mini LST2 with brushless and my mini Slash is loads more fun and MUCH more durable than the losi!
    And the mini erevo will handle even better than the slash..

  37. #37
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Thornton, Illinois
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    Its a fact not opinion...
    I had a mini LST2 with brushless and my mini Slash is loads more fun and MUCH more durable than the losi!
    And the mini erevo will handle even better than the slash..

    I agree! The losi's dont stand a chance
    Revo 3.3,slayer,ERBE,
    Slash 4x4 RTR and Platinum

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    somewhere in Mo
    Posts
    4,809
    Kinda of topic:

    Hey Gatorscrew, I remember helping you mounting your ESC on your chasis a while back, you still use your rustler?
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

  39. #39
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    202
    I would add as far as grass. I think the revo will have a ground clearence similar to that of the traxxas bandit. And the guys running those dont let grass stop them from having fun. We will have 4wd so that should help in grass too.

  40. #40
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by VXL Beast
    Kinda of topic:

    Hey Gatorscrew, I remember helping you mounting your ESC on your chasis a while back, you still use your rustler?
    Wow, great memory! Thanks for help. It worked out great for my Rustler. And yes, I do still use my Rustler. I thought about selling it to get the 1/16 Revo but I've decided to keep it. The Revo will be my "daughter's"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •