Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    483

    Using 25/83 gearing on offroad terrain

    That's the stock gearing according to the Traxxas website for the Rustler VXL. I still have 19/86 from when I converted my Stampede to the Rustler. If I go with 25/83, will it be suitable for offroad terrain?

    If I run it offroad like that, will I run into temperature or transmission or drive shaft issues?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,114
    NO, go out and pound on it and just monitor your temps. You dont have to have obsessive compulsion about it, just look at them after beating on it just to make sure.
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    483
    Okay. I'll keep it at 19/86 for now just to get more use out of those gears. The pinion is starting to wear out as in the teeth sharpening even though it's a steel Robinson pinion. The acceleration and top speed is fine like this as it is.

    My motor is running a little hot and my battery run times are a little down but I think my slipper clutch is a little tight. Maybe that's why my steel output yoke rod holes are getting stretched out.

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    What tires are you using? I assume Alias since you converted?

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    544
    My brother runs 25/76 in his VXL Stampede with 7 cell Ener-g pack on and off road in 60* to 95* weather and it is fine. Motor only gets to 165* tops and it is ok to just under 200*. He uses 2.8" Talons too.
    Stampede
    Started life as XL-1 then XL-5 now a VXL

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Only Electric
    My brother runs 25/76 in his VXL Stampede with 7 cell Ener-g pack on and off road in 60* to 95* weather and it is fine. Motor only gets to 165* tops and it is ok to just under 200*. He uses 2.8" Talons too.
    Your brother must have an extraordinarily gentle driving style. For most people, that would be a recipe for nearly instant overheating.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by aramid
    Your brother must have an extraordinarily gentle driving style. For most people, that would be a recipe for nearly instant overheating.
    Speaking of overheating. Does the VXL Rustler automatically shut down if the ESC or motor get too hot? Or am I just SOL if I don't check temps often? Mine seemed like it was running extremely hot this past weekend (couldn't keep my thumb on the motor for more than a second).

    Running on Talons with 19/83 gearing.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,114
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorStew
    Speaking of overheating. Does the VXL Rustler automatically shut down if the ESC or motor get too hot? Or am I just SOL if I don't check temps often? Mine seemed like it was running extremely hot this past weekend (couldn't keep my thumb on the motor for more than a second).

    Running on Talons with 19/83 gearing.
    Cant really use your finger/thumb for a heat judge.. Get a temp guage.

    But to answer your question yes it has a (thermal heat protection mode or shut off) it will go into if ESC gets too hot, not the motor...
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Was there, now here.
    Posts
    2,434
    I have run 25/86 on the track a lot of times. But this track is so slick, there's not much of a load on the system. Hottest I've ever gotten it even during summer is about 170
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    483
    I'm using Badlands tires usually

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Was there, now here.
    Posts
    2,434
    IIRC, those are larger diameter than regular 2.2 racing tires, which effectively raises your gear ratio. BUt those are lighter than talons, so it may even out. Just pick up a cheap temp gun and go run the thing.
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Storm VXL
    That's the stock gearing according to the Traxxas website for the Rustler VXL. I still have 19/86 from when I converted my Stampede to the Rustler. If I go with 25/83, will it be suitable for offroad terrain?

    If I run it offroad like that, will I run into temperature or transmission or drive shaft issues?
    I run my rustler on a 24/83 for offroad with a 2s lipo...no problem. I could gear up.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Storm VXL
    I'm using Badlands tires usually
    That kinda changes things a bit. Badlands are very tall tires and will have a big effect on the gearing. You should let a temp gun have the final say but I think with those tires you are over geared for running off road.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    483
    So I should go like 18/86? I've run it with 18/86 before when it was a Stampede. It helped some with the temperature but I noticed the slight decrease in the higher speeds which I didn't like so much.

    The temperatures I'm getting are okay. I just got back from driving it with my 2s Lipo. I loosened the slipper clutch just a little since I think it's been a little tight lately. It added maybe a minute to my run time.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Storm VXL
    So I should go like 18/86? ...
    Like I said let the temp gun have the final say. If you can run 25/86 and not over heat then go for it but I think you will find something lower will help your temps.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  16. #16
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    I run my rustler on a 24/83 for offroad with a 2s lipo...no problem. I could gear up.
    By gearing up you mean 23/83 ?

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    483
    I think gearing up would be like 25/83.

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    53
    I just switched from a mamba max esc and 5700kv motor... (fried the esc when it came out of its lil black box...)

    Running the vxl motor esc combo till I get the mamba back.

    The gearing is total opposite of my mamba combo...
    Im runnin 23/90 about to switch to the 86...for offroad
    I was runnin 15/90 with the mm5700 combo...
    Chris
    XL5 Rustler -MM- money pit:)
    2.5 Maxx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •