RC Enthusiast

Motor cutting out/running inconsistently

Hey all, I have a rustler VXL on 3s that recently started cutting out and only running with LVD off. With LVD on it will act like the voltage is too low, steering works but motor does nothing. After running for a couple minutes with LVD off, if you hold the throttle in one place, the motor will accelerate and quickly do nothing before accelerating again, and it happen very quickly and very often. Steering still works, battery is new and fully charged, motor and it’s bearings look good after opening it up. Any ideas? I suspect it’s my ESC, but I want to check here before blowing $90. I’ve been looking at a 1/8th scale conversion and turning it in to a speed run car. If the ESC is shot, Any thoughts/suggestions on 1/8th?

How old is the battery? What is the voltage per cell?

How old is the car and esc?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Check your battery connections too. Wiggle them while running it off the ground and see if it causes it to change.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    How old is the battery? What is the voltage per cell?

How old is the car and esc?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    This is my first guess too. Does it do this with multiple packs, or just one particular pack?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bear2216 View Post
    Hey all, I have a rustler VXL on 3s that recently started cutting out and only running with LVD off. With LVD on it will act like the voltage is too low, steering works but motor does nothing. After running for a couple minutes with LVD off, if you hold the throttle in one place, the motor will accelerate and quickly do nothing before accelerating again, and it happen very quickly and very often. Steering still works, battery is new and fully charged, motor and itís bearings look good after opening it up. Any ideas? I suspect itís my ESC, but I want to check here before blowing $90. Iíve been looking at a 1/8th scale conversion and turning it in to a speed run car. If the ESC is shot, Any thoughts/suggestions on 1/8th?
    Is the battery new or new to you/used? Are you sure the battery is charged? It does sound like a bad battery.

RC Enthusiast
    Motor is 6 years old and has been rebuilt 2x, most recently probably 1- 1.5 years ago, esc is maybe 3 or 4 years old. Battery is brand new, only about 2 weeks old, definitely less than 10 charges. When I get home I’ll balance it and try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear2216 View Post
    Motor is 6 years old and has been rebuilt 2x, most recently probably 1- 1.5 years ago, esc is maybe 3 or 4 years old. Battery is brand new, only about 2 weeks old, definitely less than 10 charges. When I get home I’ll balance it and try.
    Before you charge, recommend looking at the cell voltages. If one is a lot lower than the others, you have found your problem.

Its not a Venom pack, is it?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Before you charge, recommend looking at the cell voltages. If one is a lot lower than the others, you have found your problem.

Its not a Venom pack, is it?
    No, it’s an HRB. Tried venom before and never again. I put it to balance but the cells are exactly the same across the board, just gonna set it to balance at a low voltage anyway, can’t hurt.

Edit: low AMP not low voltage lol, that would be bad
    Last edited by Bear2216; 08-13-2020 at 02:58 PM.