RC Competitor

Loc Washer diff mod

I finally broke down and tried the lock washer diff mod, if that is what we are going to call it. I was skeptical about it, but after cracking open the diff every two weeks or so I decided to give it a try.

When I first put it back together it almost felt like a solid locked diff but after a quick 10 second spin on the living room floor it felt just like a fresh 50K packed diff.

Then I took it out for a extended test up and down the street and in the grass. It was perfect. I hope it stays the way it is because this is just the way I like it.

Does anyone have long term experience with this mod?

Who came up with this? We need to give him credit, I am so over the leaking diff oil.

RC Champion
    Explain....I searched and all I could find was your post again. I'm curious to see how it's done.

RC Champion
    I saw something about this in the Slash forum and was interested. I go to Lowes and Home Depot all the time. What size LW am I looking for?
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomad
    Explain....I searched and all I could find was your post again. I'm curious to see how it's done.
    There was a post somewhere around here about doing this, it boiled down to putting a small lock washer on the shaft between the two sun gears in the diff.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I go look at the slash forum...I post up if I find anything..

RC Champion
    Here's the search results.

http://monster.traxxas.com/search.php?searchid=1162882

Looks like you put a 1/8th inch split lockwasher (or belville washer)on the alignment pin between the two output shafts inside the diff. Seems pretty simple.

RC Competitor
    That's it. I'm going to be testing this over the next few weeks but if this works it will add a whole new level of enjoyment to my rustlers. There is nothing I hate more than cracking open the tranny to find a bunch of thick sticky oil all over the gears.

RC poster
    I did the belville washer thing too my Slash and it helped alot,so i'm going to do it to my Rustler..

Quote Originally Posted by Papa88
    I did the belville washer thing too my Slash and it helped alot,so i'm going to do it to my Rustler..
    Can you explain the process? Thanks

Luke

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbro1112
    Can you explain the process? Thanks

Luke
    You asked for it.....
    Remove slipper and spur gear.
    Remove motor.
    Take out the transmission. Open said unit.
    Remove differential. Open said unit.
    Clean gears and case.
    When reassembling, place lockwasher or Belville washer on the shaft between the sun gears. This provides mechanical friction between said gears, slowing differential action.
    Lightly grease gears.
    Reassemble differential.
    Clean and inspect top shaft/gear and idler gear.
    Inspect bearings.
    Lightly grease gears and reassemble.
    Re-install into vehicle.
    Re-install slipper and spur assembly.
    Check for proper smooth operation.
    Go for a test-run.
    Report back with your findings.
    Over and out.
    Mobius1 crashed!

Thanks stam

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So it basically makes it limited slip? Sounds awesome, tighten up the diff without having to mess goo seeping out.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Racer
    I don't have my rusty near me, so I can't just take it apart, but what size inner diameter do I need for the belleville washer?

RC Champion
    The ID and OD of the lock washer would be really helpful. If it's the Mx metric size, that would be great to know as well. If I remember correctly, even the M4 washers looked too big when I last checked.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    The ID and OD of the lock washer would be really helpful. If it's the Mx metric size, that would be great to know as well. If I remember correctly, even the M4 washers looked too big when I last checked.
    In the Slash thread it sez 1/8th split washer .036in thick,will be trying this when i get my trusty Rusty going again,tried packing diff with wheel bearing grease but it only lasted a couple of pack's,

here's a link to the thread

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ht=diff+greese
    Trav

RC Champion
    One more question. I'll be putting in a lock washer but I also wanted to know, what should I do for the lube on the diff gears and for the other gears in the transmission? I have some thick diff lube. Would that work well enough for it or should I get some grease instead to lube everything up?

RC Champion
    If you're going to be using a lock washer to get limited slip, just lightly coat all the gears, including those inside the diff. With grease.
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Champion
    I've heard people use the white lithium grease. Would that work and where's the best place to find it? I have AutoZone and a few other car part places on the way to work so I thought I might pick some up then.

Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    I've heard people use the white lithium grease. Would that work and where's the best place to find it? I have AutoZone and a few other car part places on the way to work so I thought I might pick some up then.
    Home Depot! I got a huge tube for $5 or $6. I don't run anything that light in the diff, though. Right now I'm running 300K AE diff fluid and having good luck with "Liquid Electrical Tape" smeared on the face of the diff to reduce leakage. So far, the only leakage since using the "LET" has been from around the output shafts.
    If you aren't gonna pack the diff, bearing grease works and will be less likely to leak.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I think you guys are missing the point the lock wash replaces the diff oil/grease. You only need a light coating to keep the gears moving smoothly.

RC Champion
    I understand it replaces it but you don't want the gears dry so I am wondering if I need a light coating of diff oil or lithium grease for the diff and if diff oil or lithium grease is best for the other gears in the transmission. I don't plan on filling the diff with much oil anymore other than just lube as it's too messy for my tastes.
    Just curious what is best for inside the diff and outside for light lubing.

Quote Originally Posted by robg9999
    I think you guys are missing the point the lock wash replaces the diff oil/grease. You only need a light coating to keep the gears moving smoothly.
    Nah, just ignoring the point mostly.
    Thinking more about it, I suppose it won't matter if the lithium grease leaks a little into the rest of the tranny if the whole thing is greased with the stuff.

I have heard of guys doing the whole tranny with bearing grease and others doing the whole thing with lithium grease. It doesn't seem to make a difference since so little is generally used.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Okay, I did some measuring with the calipers at the hardware store today and found the 1/8" inch diameter to be the inner diameter. The thickness is also 0.036" as stated in the thread. The correct size to locate it with is #6. I found some raised collar lock washers, regular ones, and bronze ones so I got a couple of each and eventually, I'll test them out.

RC Racer
    just got back from the hardware store, and the smallest wavy washer they had was a 6 mm, and smallest lock washer was 4 mm, so those won't work will they?
    Last edited by VooDooCC; 06-17-2009 at 03:17 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooCC
    just got back from the hardware store, and the smallest wavy washer they had was a 6 mm, and smallest lock washer was 4 mm, so those won't work will they?
    I used the 4mm lock washer. Ran it 2 days so far and i have not noticed any issues. Should be fine as long as the internal gears do not rub on the washer.
    Rustler|Sidewinder 4600|Onyx 230|Blinky|*****

RC Enthusiast
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE042&P=7

do this would work fine for a limited slip diff effect ?

RC Qualifier
    What is the point of this mod!!!!?????
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RustySlash33
    What is the point of this mod!!!!?????
    The stock Rustler has an open differential. This mod apparently gives the diff some limited-slip action.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by milenko_78
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE042&P=7

do this would work fine for a limited slip diff effect ?
    You want a #4 size like this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=GPMQ3432&P=7

A #6 is going to have a larger inner diameter of 5/32"

RC Champion
    4mm loc washer here and it's been great.

RC poster
    Can someone please show a picture of where this washer is supposed to go? After opening the dif I’m lost.