Thread: spur gears!!!!

RC Qualifier

spur gears!!!!

I am tired of stripping spuer gears. it seems like everytime i run my car i strip a spur gear, or hurt my spur gear. I have gone through 5 spurt gears in the past 5 weeks. What spur gear has worked for u? i was thinking a metal one.
    Its not if it breaks...its when

RC Racer
    maybe your gear mesh is not correct. Me personally i wouldn't go with a metal spur gear because to me it seems a little heavy and the price would be a little expensive.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch95
    What spur gear has worked for u? i was thinking a metal one.

This is a total "you didnt tighten the motor screws tight enough and if you did the trans case has worn grooves in it" thread. And thats your problem..

You have been around long enough to know whats up..

If you get a metal spur and not fix the problem at hand, when the motor loosens up and moves on you it will not only strip out your new metal spur but your pinion will get stripped out as well..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Champion
    32p or even get mod 1 and a bore reducer
    if you can control it, it is too slow

RC Champion
    I just switched to 32p and love it. It's noisy as all get out, but it's a lower pitched gear whine. E-Maxx pinion and Jato spur. You just have to turn the pinion around.
    But yes, the mesh still has to be correct, and not move on you. I use a Dremel and slot the motor mount screws because I can get them tighter with a large flatblade screwdriver. And I don't have to worry about stripping the hex.
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

Stock spur gears work fine for me. It is all about keeping your motor secured in the tranny case and setting your gear mesh properly.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I'm trusting this last bit of advice given by Dad - I've just bought 2 sets of lunsford fat boys (1 for each car I own) to see if I can stop the insanity. I'm very good at setting the mesh, but my motor screws will slip when I land a big jump, and by-by spur. In fact, one night at the skatepark with my brother, I stripped 3 spurs!!! I said to myself "Enough!"

I'm keeping my fingers crosses that those fatboys will do the trick...
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Stock spur gears work fine for me. It is all about keeping your motor secured in the tranny case and setting your gear mesh properly.
    What Dad said. My Stampede is still original and keeps trucking along nicely. The Rusty is a bit newer and now that I have my motor properly secured, I suspect it will do just as well.
    Friction can be such a drag

RC Champion
    I didn't change to 32p because I was stripping an inordinate number of gears, I did it because I got tired of picking little specks of junk out of the 48p. And it's just different. Now my rig sounds totally different from the rest of the Traxxas rigs at the track.
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Racer
    I have switched my pinion and spur gears in and out numerous times since I bought my Rustler looking for the perfect gear combination for my needs and I have yet to strip a single spur. If you don't have a good hex driver set and you are still using the L-shaped hexes that came with the truck, buy a set. They give you a little more leverage to tighten down the screws from straight on and get everything snug without the awkward angles of the L-shaped hexes.
    Pure Rustler Fury

+1 to what FlyingWhales said. If you dont have a good tool set working on these trucks can be very frustrating.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I think I might have worked on my Rustler for all of about five minutes before I started raiding my toolbox for real tools and anything I didn't have that I needed, I went out and bought. My LHS had a five piece metric hex driver set for like $12. Those alone cut the part swap time litterally in half.
    Pure Rustler Fury

RC Qualifier
    I only stripped 1 spur gear and that was because the mesh wasn't right. I knew it too, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I ran it, and when it stripped I knew why right away.
    David "Hijak" Holden
    http://www.newedenradio.com

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijak
    I only stripped 1 spur gear and that was because the mesh wasn't right. I knew it too, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I ran it, and when it stripped I knew why right away.
    Same goes for me. You have to get the mesh "spot on sweeet"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 13bTurboRustler
    Same goes for me. You have to get the mesh "spot on sweeet"
    The issue for me is I was uing a new robson racing pinion I purchased, and when following the traxxas gear mesh instructions it felt really "Stiff" when turning the spur/pinion by hand, so I opened the mesh a bit, then when I ran the truck - blam - stripped spur in like 10seconds. next time I set the mesh I followed the proper procedure and even though it felt tight, I've not had any issues since
    David "Hijak" Holden
    http://www.newedenradio.com

RC Champion
    I like to get then as snug as I can whilst still having just a tick of play when I hold the pinion and rock the spur.
    Mobius1 crashed!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    One other word of advice. If you have distorted your motor mount by over tightening your stock motor screws, you may want to get new plastic gearbox halves before installing the better motor screws. My 32p gears are not louder. But they do sound totally different. Kind of like going from a 1975 Hoda Civic horn to a 1975 Chevy Impala horn. Just beefier. Once you sort out your problem, check out the 32p mod. If you have problems setting the mesh, the 32p gears are much easier to set.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    so to go to 32 pitch u guys are using an E-maxx pinion and jato spur gears?

I wanna try this out....
    Chris
    XL5 Rustler -MM- money pit:)
    2.5 Maxx

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Yes the largest jato spur you can use is this 58 tooth.
    Traxxas sells emaxx pinions from 12 tooth and up.
    Robinson Racing Products makes smaller pinions than 12 if you need to go lower.
    Here is a gear conversion chart to help you find your ratios. Just remember you cannot use your gear cover. I have been running a lot in sandy conditions without the cover and the gears still look new so that should not be a problem for you. Any other questions you can pm me.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...