RC Qualifier

FLM Alloy Transmission Case on Slash - Review

Well my FLM case finally arrived last night, after buying a Hot Racing case only to find it won't mount up to the Slash rear bumper, I needed something a bit more notable.

First impressions:

It looks nice, very solid, but where are the instructions????

Everything fit together well when putting the gears in, I decided to put 50k oil in my diff and seal it at the same time, gears run extremely smooth in this.

Assembly is a bit of guess work, they give you heaps of screws but what goes where? Main issue on assembly was attaching the rear shock tower to the transmission case, you have to negotiate two locking nuts (one on each side) into these recesses on each side of the case and they are a right b... to get in.

After initial assembly you have to install the optional mount for the rear wheelie bar / bumper thing, again no instructions and one spacer washer so where does that go as both the top and bottom screws really could use spacers.

Overall it looks nice once in, the gears are definately smoother, haven't given it a run yet but should be nice, highly recommend firming up the rear shocks to counter some of the added weight.

Rating? 6/10

Finish and construction quality 9/10

Usability 2/10, look, no instructions, the website "how to" is vague at best and a newbie would struggle with this. For a $60 case and $11 mount an A4 sheet even explaining what goes where isn't a huge ask.
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Qualifier
    well done. doesnt it add camber or have camber built into it? because i think i heard somewhere that the FLM tranny has built in camber/toe-in/toe-out.
    Slash VXL | HPI Wheely King 4x4
    Thanks, Kevin.

RC Qualifier
    Nice write up.

On a side note;
    Seeing your response to no instructions, perhaps you should have done a pictorial during assembly so a "newbie" would would benefit and understand the process.

RC Qualifier
    I should have, but it's hard to take pictures, build a transmission and take care of a 7 week old all at the same time.

And yes you can adjust the Toe in, it comes with 1 degree in or you can get 4 degrees for racing, they seem easy to change out as well.

Camber is set by your turnbuckles on the rear arms.
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

How can you give it an accurate rating when you have not even used it yet? I've had a FLM case on my Rusty for well over a year and think it is one of hte best upgrades I have done. Once you dirve the truck I think you will like it more than you do now.

BTW it adds rear toe in not camber. They come with either 1 or 4 arm mounts.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ht=rustler+vxl

Gotchya covered. Rustler VXL/ Slash.....same difference.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC Champion
    should've got the newera one bolts right up...easy install...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rugruner
    Nice write up.

On a side note;
    Seeing your response to no instructions, perhaps you should have done a pictorial during assembly so a "newbie" would would benefit and understand the process.

or you could just do a search...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=387083
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Competitor
    Does this also act like a heat sink? I have the Mamba Max with the 5700kv motor and it runs very hot (180-200) running 13/90.

Jody J.

RC Champion
    yes, it will lower motor temps by about 15 degrees
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Racer
    i have the new era, very easy install, old parts bolt on easy. temps on 3s dont go about 130 pushing it hard the whole time. best upgrade ever

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by fb5b
    I should have,
    but it's hard to take pictures, build a transmission and take care of a 7 week old all at the same time.
    I.m.o. you should not have...
    Doing free work for the lazy manufacturer...