RC Competitor

tranny gearbox mod (Very simple)

I made a very simple mod. to the tranny gearbox.
    Why? when i did relube the differential, i forgot to also lube the gears again.
    It took me LOTS of time to disamblage the motorhousing / gear / tranny or what is called as a whole. I purchased a non-metric screwdriver hex set for motor pinions.
    But this i all had to do with the standard packed traxxas L wrenches...
    It would be great if 1 part, a 'door plate' of the gear-part of the motorhousing could be screwed of ! like in a tl-01 tamiea

Anyway i carefully drilled a 3 mm hole allmost on top of the mid gear. See photo.
    Now i can squeese in my silicon-grease. I top it of with a peace tape.
    I am considering a little short screw in that place, but it has to be very short, almost no thread to make there, and i dont want to use locktite there aswell...

All you had to do was remove the tanny case from the chassis(like idk the 4 for the shock tower and the 6 on the bottom of the chassis). Thee pull the black tape off and BAM...you have access to your gears. Just put some grease on the diff gear and spin it. The grease will find its way.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    All you had to do was remove the tanny case from the chassis(like idk the 4 for the shock tower and the 6 on the bottom of the chassis). Thee pull the black tape off and BAM...you have access to your gears. Just put some grease on the diff gear and spin it. The grease will find its way.
    Ohhhkayyy that was not in the manual... Or i missed it somehow.
    Well this time the whole tranny had to be seperated anyway for the diff. clean/grease.

That standard gap with tape gives me another idea, glue a very thin plate over it.
    Drill a hole there somewhere upfront or rear to, right trough bottomplate, enough platic there, for an ehhhh 'screwplug'?, and i have me an oil carter with drain :-) if i want to try oil instead of silicone grease on the gears.
    Might, hope so! also work as a 'rinsing system'.
    Last edited by new2slash; 06-19-2009 at 06:00 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you keep slathering grease or "oil" in that hole do you know what kind of a mess will be waiting for you when you have to split the trans again?.. You should be packing and cleaning your diff/cleaning the gears off for longevity every 15-20 full packs. That hole you drilled in there is all sorts of wrong.. Another possible entry for bad debris..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think got nitro is right on. You should not have to add grease after you have lubed the gears. The small amount it takes to coat the gears will keep your gears protected for a long time. Now that you have a big hole in the trans, expect to be cleaning out your gearbox much more often than need be. At least cover it with some electrical tape until you can buy This.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

I wouldn't even run it. I will not risk damaging the gears.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    I think got nitro is right on. You should not have to add grease after you have lubed the gears. The small amount it takes to coat the gears will keep your gears protected for a long time. Now that you have a big hole in the trans, expect to be cleaning out your gearbox much more often than need be. At least cover it with some electrical tape until you can buy This.
    From my opening post:
    I top it of with a peace tape.
    And i forgot (due to taking to much time for dis- and assemblage) to grease the gears, did not want to do that all over again just after putting it all together.
    This way i could grease them, and the hole, i just tape it close, just like side of motor and the gearcover gap.

With another hole underneeth, i can even rinse the casing, flush dirt out.
    And i must say, little came so far that it was in there, much less then i expected! for a non-overcapping 2-part tranny casing.

RC Champion
    you really dont need grease on those gears (hardly any)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by new2slash
    From my opening post:
    I top it of with a peace tape.
    And i forgot (due to taking to much time for dis- and assemblage) to grease the gears, did not want to do that all over again just after putting it all together.
    This way i could grease them, and the hole, i just tape it close, just like side of motor and the gearcover gap.

With another hole underneeth, i can even rinse the casing, flush dirt out.
    And i must say, little came so far that it was in there, much less then i expected! for a non-overcapping 2-part tranny casing.
    What they are saying is that you NEED to disassemble the case to clean the gears and relube them. The gears need to be wiped with grease, not just squirted with grease. Simply rinsing them out and squirting grease in there is not sufficient. Doing this will bring you problems and headaches!
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Champion
    dont worry new2slash, these peoples opinions don't matter. I like it.
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    dont worry new2slash, these peoples opinions don't matter. I like it.
    Are you kidding? That kind of mentality will get you no help around here, and that kind of mentality keeps people from wanting to help others on here.

They know what they are talking about, they are giving him proper advice and you are saying that just because YOU LIKE IT that their opinion doesn't matter? Dude, really? Wow.

One big thing you forgot about when drilling the hole, was that little plastic debris got inside the tranni from drilling the hole. So you need to take it back apart anyway and get that out of there before it messes with your gears.

I don't think it's a terrible idea if you have a way to cover it, but it just doesn't seem necessary.
    E-Maxx 3905 and 3906. :D

RC Enthusiast
    Why not just put a grub/set screw in there?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ling427ttvette
    Are you kidding? That kind of mentality will get you no help around here, and that kind of mentality keeps people from wanting to help others on here.

They know what they are talking about, they are giving him proper advice and you are saying that just because YOU LIKE IT that their opinion doesn't matter? Dude, really? Wow.

One big thing you forgot about when drilling the hole, was that little plastic debris got inside the tranni from drilling the hole. So you need to take it back apart anyway and get that out of there before it messes with your gears.

I don't think it's a terrible idea if you have a way to cover it, but it just doesn't seem necessary.
    Woah dude, i was being sarcastic about other peoples opinions... theres alot more knologable people in this world then me, I understand that. Just chill.
    Last edited by SLASHPEDE; 06-19-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    It is certainly a novel idea. Has anyone tried using any sort of dry lube on tranny gears?
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

Quote Originally Posted by StamJato
    It is certainly a novel idea. Has anyone tried using any sort of dry lube on tranny gears?
    IMO, dry lube works good for plastic gears, not metal. It can't really stick to the metal gears like a good grease.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I was just tryin to help... Sorry.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...