Thread: cutting weight?

RC Competitor

cutting weight?

the slash weighs like 2160 grams and the sc10 weighs about 80 grams less. at our local track you can run both a slash and sc10 in the slash spec class. is this a lot of weight when it comes to an rc? if so what can i trim to lighten it down to like 2100g?
    I like Volkswagens...

RC Champion
    You could get rid of the receiver box and just double tape the receiver to the chassis.

RC poster
    I've also seen some one drill some holes in the chassis to make it lighter. Might weaken the chassis for bashing and huge jumps but if you only race with it then it should be fine.

RC Qualifier
    RPM front and rear bumpers will shave some weight, and stay away from the Alum stuff

RC Competitor
    I thought about drilling some holes is the skid plate in the front because its pretty huge and i wouldnt figure it would make any difference in the structural rigidity in the chassis. i also thought about trimming on the a-arms because there are some filled in areas that could be cut out. and is there any way i could make the diff as quiet as the sc10?
    I like Volkswagens...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by travmac79
    I thought about drilling some holes is the skid plate in the front because its pretty huge and i wouldnt figure it would make any difference in the structural rigidity in the chassis. i also thought about trimming on the a-arms because there are some filled in areas that could be cut out. and is there any way i could make the diff as quiet as the sc10?
    What's killing the slash is the battery because it sit's way up in the air....If you are serious about racing go with the thunder tech low center of gravity chassis this will make the slash handle it's best.
    Thanks
    Z....

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I don't think he can use it in the spec class.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    I don't think he can use it in the spec class.
    then that's not to fair one truck the SC10 chassis has the battery low to the ground and the other the slash has it way up high don't sound fair to me... I say if the sc10 chassis is low and flat and in the spec class then you should be able to buy a low chassis for the slash then to make things fair.... or the two trucks should not be run together.
    That's my opinion on this.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    then that's not to fair one truck the SC10 chassis has the battery low to the ground and the other the slash has it way up high don't sound fair to me... I say if the sc10 chassis is low and flat and in the spec class then you should be able to buy a low chassis for the slash then to make things fair.... or the two trucks should not be run together.
    That's my opinion on this.
    agreed +1
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well..it is called "spec" class..but despite the higher center of gravity, the slash still can easily own sc10s. I dont know how..but at our track, the slashs are first at the track, first in races, and last to break down. (We have actually had a race of 3 slashes and 2 sc10s, and both sc10s came last..as one of them broke the chasis in half O.o).
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    To shave some weight..try to get the upcoming rpm bumpers, rpm a arms, maybe aluminum camber/toe links (They are lighter..but i heard they break faster too), as said..lose the reciever case, use lighter batteries, CF shock towers (srt maybe),CF chasis (Gorillamaxx) lighter rims/tires...just throwing in some ideas. I highly doubt that dremeling the chasis would make a difference in you lap times...IMO its such a small weight that it wont make a difference at all...but hey..small bits add up dont they?
    Last edited by arvint; 06-21-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by arvint
    Well..it is called "spec" class..but despite the higher center of gravity, the slash still can easily own sc10s. I dont know how..but at our track, the slashs are first at the track, first in races, and last to break down. (We have actually had a race of 3 slashes and 2 sc10s, and both sc10s came last..as one of them broke the chasis in half O.o).
    lol ya sc10 kinda suck
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well..they dont "Suck", on a track..they are actually quite good..but if you just want to have some fun, slashes will give you a feeling that a sc10 wont. You feel more connected to the slash. Ive driven the sc10 before...and its just numb. When you steer a sc10..it just turns..but with a slash...its a whole other world
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    SC10s are not NEARLY as much fun as the slash. I drove one before, but it did not really impress me.
    Free all none violent drug offenders!