RC Competitor

gear noise reduction

I know the sc10s are a **** of a lot quieter tahn the slashes and i would think that that would mean less friction in the diff which would in all cases be better. is there any way to quiet down the slash's diff or whatever it is making the sc10s so quiet? or is it just a different design?
    I like Volkswagens...

RC Qualifier
    I have the same question.
    Free all none violent drug offenders!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    totally different transmission designs. the sc10 is built off a race vehicle while the slash is built off a 15 year old basher design. the rustler design has been aronud since 1994.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Qualifier
    besides, the slash, is plenty quiet. if you dont think its quite, listen to some nitro's! LOL they loud as heck!
    Slash VXL | HPI Wheely King 4x4
    Thanks, Kevin.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    oh yeah. nitros are VERY loud. my slash with a mamba max 5700 and 32 pitch gears cant be heard if you ar emore than a few feet away. at least transmission wise.

I did noticed the rc10 stealth tranny(yea interesting) has a tigher gear mesh then the 282traxxas tranny. Even the plastic tranny gears for the 282 are loud.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the tranny isnt a 282. it is a 272. it gets the name from the internal gear ratio. which is 2.72

RC Competitor
    i know i have an rc10gt as well as the slash.
    I like Volkswagens...

RC Champion
    The source of the noise i thing is not the diff or the gearbox...it's the spurgear. I tried rolling my slash without the spurgear connected, it's whisper silent I think it's gotta do with the spur design, it's thin resembling a dish. The thin surfaces amplifies noise, just like when you tap an empty bucket with and without water in it.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by travmac79
    I know the sc10s are a **** of a lot quieter tahn the slashes and i would think that that would mean less friction in the diff which would in all cases be better. is there any way to quiet down the slash's diff or whatever it is making the sc10s so quiet? or is it just a different design?
    The better the mesh the quieter it is.
    Also an aftermarket aluminium 17 t 'silencer pinion' was notacibly quieter.
    The the grease/oil used on gears will do some silencing i gues.
    The more space in tranne the more 'resonating soundbox' it is.
    Same goes for how tight al is screwed together.
    The 550 motor can be quiet, more quiet then an other 550 i have from hai bo xing in a hai bo xing tamiea tl-01 clone.

Sound due to friction in the diff? Ain't that a factor only when cornering? (i dont know)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight
    The source of the noise i thing is not the diff or the gearbox...it's the spurgear. I tried rolling my slash without the spurgear connected, it's whisper silent I think it's gotta do with the spur design, it's thin resembling a dish. The thin surfaces amplifies noise, just like when you tap an empty bucket with and without water in it.
    You are actually pretty close. Most of the noise is from the lousy Traxxas pinions. Swap in a Losi pinion and it will quiet right down. The teeth on the Losi pinions mesh better with the Traxxas spur and the result is a quieter geartrain. It will get a bit quieter with an aluminum gearbox too.