RC Racer

KROGOTH's Narcissistic Slayer Thread

Alrighty. Cause Im bored, and dont know any Slayer owners that Im really in touch with over here in Iraq, Im going to make a thread to talk about my Slayer, the things Im doing to it, mods, and discuss these things with other people who care to chime in. Mod's willing of course lol.

Anyways, just recently killed my TRX 3.3. An air leak combined with an apparently lean mix = 425 degree temp. Still came in 3rd on the race though! Worth it? Prolly not. Bought a OS .21TM to replace the 3.3 though. Anyone want to buy a TRX 3.3 to ERP? Dirt cheap of course. Anyways the new engine is at the very least, 2 weeks out.

Im curious, what servo's do you guys use in your Slayers, particularly those of you who race your Slayer? Currently I have two HiTec 6465MG servos in mine. Probably a bit much to use as a throttle servo, but oh well. Killer braking! I just installed them earlier though, and Im not using the stock horns anymore. Wish I had an engine installed so I could see if I rigged up my circle servo horn right on the throttle side.

Hopefully will be receiving my Center Diff kit, Rear Brake Kit and 1/8th buggy tires soon, along with my second order of spare parts. What say yall?
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    As far as engines I run a Picco .26 or a 3.3. Plan on upgrading to an OS .18tz on my Dirt Slayer. My Street Slayer is still in the build process but will have a Picco .28 Red Dot on it some other goodies. For servos I use the HS 645MG Hitecs on both throttle and steering. I used the round horn on the throttle and am using a Proline Horn on the steering. After doing the steering mods I went to the Proline Single steering arm.

The OS .21tm should push the Slayer really well!

RC Racer
    Thats assuming I get it broke in well, and whatnot. Im a lil worried seeing as to what happened to my first and this being my second nitro engine. But oh well. Theres a guy out here that has an .21TM in his racing Revo and that thing hauls. So I have high hopes for my Slayer.

Ive only done one steering mod, and thats cutting off the unused side of the steering arm (the one thats in the middle). Didnt really feel the others were too necessary with the stock servo, but that may change now. Depending on how I feel after work tomorrow I may charge up my cheapo Dremel and get to work again. I used the aluminum arm that came with the HiTec servos. Just had to drill the hole out a lil bit and use a shorter screw.

Do you have the front and rear brake, and if so got any pics of your throttle servo setup? Im considering buying the Tekno Throttle setup for the Revo. The stock one I just dont care for and ever since the first time I pulled my engine, its just been a pain.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    I actually dont have the CD/rear brake just yet. I will be installing one on my Dirt Slayer but my Street Slayer is getting a Quickturn. My Hitecs came with plastic horns, I bought the cheaper servos... The Tekno setup I think would work well on the Slayer. If you ever planon running a sidepipe it will get in the way though..... Both my Slayers run sidepipes...

The steering mods make a tremendous difference.

Dont sweat it about being on your second mill.... I tossed a rod due to stupidity... Its just the nature of the beast..

RC Racer
    Lol but a $300 mistake is pretty pricey lol. But its true, it happens.

Whats a quickturn? I plan on keeping the Revo style, stock pipe. Dont see why not ya know? Though I hear good things about the Buku pipe.

As for the mods, we are both talking about the stuff on this page right? http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42178

After checking out the Tekno site again, I may try out a few of their other Revo oriented products as well. Hmm....Maybe one day. Still gotta wait and see what the nitro CORR racing scene is like back home in texas lol. Im just lucky that theres so many slayers out here.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Champion
    sorry to hear you smoked your engine,probably not worth third,yeah,thanks for your service from a 17 year vet.....................
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

I have the Os 21tm with a buku pipe in my platinum revo it's great

Here is a picture of my slayer throttle setup with the center diff.

Last edited by fallonguy; 06-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KROGOTH
    Lol but a $300 mistake is pretty pricey lol. But its true, it happens.

Whats a quickturn? I plan on keeping the Revo style, stock pipe. Dont see why not ya know? Though I hear good things about the Buku pipe.

As for the mods, we are both talking about the stuff on this page right? http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42178

After checking out the Tekno site again, I may try out a few of their other Revo oriented products as well. Hmm....Maybe one day. Still gotta wait and see what the nitro CORR racing scene is like back home in texas lol. Im just lucky that theres so many slayers out here.

This is the Quickturn. It works similar to the center diff except under braking the front wheels get no brakes. On pavement I really dont care. Especially since it will most likely be making speed runs. I have been challenged by a buddy to try to make a Slayer as fast or faster than his 4Tec. I will accomplish that being that if I will he will purchace a Losi truggy for me.... If I lose I have to buy him one....

The mods I was revering to are These. About 1/2 way down or so......

RC Qualifier
    I just put a .21tm os engine on mine after having problems with the engine( I maybe wrong but oh well) and I really enjoyed running it on a track again it has been many months since I ran it last. I run a JR servo for steering and a Futaba for throttle/ brake big $ servos but I figure I won;t have to replace them for a really long time and they are fast also. I have 1/8 scale buggy tires on mine and sway bars It still need the center diff but it maybe a while before I do that.

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    I have the Os 21tm with a buku pipe in my platinum revo it's great

Sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    Here is a picture of my slayer throttle setup with the center diff.

Pretty much stock there no? Ive heard that using the stock throttle horn with the rear brake kit causes the rear brakes to drag? I will get pics of mine tonight, though I dont have the CD/Rear Brake yet.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Im going to try and out run my friends jato with my modded 3.3. Oh yeah, lhs owner found my piston and sleeve if anyone is looking to have a modded motor too...
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

RC Racer
    If I knew my 3.3 was good other than the totally worn out sleeve, Id take you up on that. Oh, and I already ordered my OS, so yeah. >.> No sense in having two nitro engines and only one nitro-mobile. lol.

Rear brake kit came in today. Just waiting on the diff, which should be here soon as well.

I need to find a good reliable way to measure toe-in and camber/castor and all that. Eyeballing it just isnt cutting it. Want to make sure my rear tires are angled in the same and need to center my front tires and then give them some toe-out tonight.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Alrighty time for some pics!

My Slayer, complete with stock bashed body. No wheels as my buggy tires and wheels havent arrived yet. They will make it before my new engine will, so I tossed the 14mm hubs and will patiently wait for the new tires. Nothing too impressive here. Cant wait for my new HARDCORE body though.

Slayer minus body. Nothing too noteworthy here. Shes dirty. I need to rig up some mud flaps or something to prevent the front tires from throwing mud and stuff up under the body onto the air filter, servo and engine and such vital bits. Anyone got any ideas?

Heres the steering setup. That HiTec servo is strong, way stronger than stock. I had to drill out the hole on the servo arm to get my screw to fit. I may get one of the arms from my other servos and try using the hole at the very end and see if thats any good. Going to trim stiff off the steering area later once my el-cheapo dremel is charged.

And last, two pictures of my servo horn setup. I dont know if this will work or not yet, have to wait to slip an engine in there. I may toss my 3.3 crankcase in there (the engine itself is in pieces ), just to test and make sure the throttle side will work. I know the front brakes work great. Once my center diff kit gets here I can toss in that and install the rear brake and get that to work as well.

Anyways. My work tonight may be to try and adjust some of the front and rear toe angles. Cant really check on them cause I cant drive the thing or dont have anything to accurately measure the degrees but oh well. Im doing what I can.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Your throttle servo setup is almost exactly like mine... I like the round horn much better.....more flexability.....

RC Racer
    Center Diff kit came in today. Probably going to try and install it and the rear brake kit after PT tonight. Also thinking about pulling all the gearing in the tranny, cleaning them and using Team Fast Eddy Transmission and Dogbone grease in my Slayer's tranny. I bought it for my Baja intially, but I dont see why it shouldnt work here.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Well nevermind. The Transmission in this thing is dry as a bone and meant to be that way. So disregard that.

Diff kit installed, and rear brake kit was a pain in the rear but its done as well. Wish I could drive it and see the handling difference but thats still weeks away. For shame.

Next thing Im expecting in the mail is my second set of spares which will include my new M2C Flywheel and 3 shoe clutch, Proline buggy tires/wheels, and other assorted goodies.

...and then...MY NEW OS .21TM!
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Alrighty....having problems here.

My rear section of my drivetrain seems to be binding. Im pretty sure its something to do with the rear brake kit...But cant quite figure out what. Im probably over looking something but I dont have any more time to dedicate to that tonight.

Any of yall have any issues upon first installing the Rear Brake Kit, or any idea what I should look for when I get time to play around with my Slayer again?
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Alrighty! Stuff arrived today that I cant use yet. How lame lol.

Piston Stopper tool, M2C Flywheel/3-shoe clutch setup. At least when my new engine gets here I will be all ready to get it taken care of, and installed ready for break-in. Now that I have the piston stopper though, its time to totally dis-assemble my TRX 3.3 for laughs.

Probably make a keychain out of the piston cause I can.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Welp....I learned today that piston stoppers arent the best solution for working on one's engine. A zip tie through the exhaust port is supposedly a better option because it will break before the piston breaks. I see the logic behind it, and the person who gave it is a seasoned nitro buggy racer. Something good to know when the time comes to work on my new .21

Anyhow got some ODonnell fuel real cheap tonight, thats pretty awesome. Knew it would be a good idea to carry some cash around with my PT's tonight.

Got some buggy tires from a friend at the track who runs an 8ight 2.0 electric buggy. They are ugly as sin, and the sidewalls are worn out but they will last until my buggy tires get here. Hopefully the ones I ordered look alot better or else I will most assuredly be shelling out for either SC8 wheels or EPIC beadlocks.
    Last edited by KROGOTH; 06-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Double-post
    Last edited by KROGOTH; 06-28-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    looks good dude
    FEEDBACK
    +12/-0
    AND GROWING EVERYDAY=)

RC Racer
    Woot. Second set of spares, alum. toe links, Pro-Line wheels and tires and my new engine arrived today. My day went from crappy to pretty awesome. Pics to come.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Alrighty, not really sure if anyone still reads this thread but oh well. Time for more pictures!

Got another box of goodies and my engine (which is a whole week early!) the other day. Took some pics and put my tires together, glued em and prepped and installed my new OS. It fits differently, the EZ-Start motor is right up against the Carb oddly enough. It works though, and just barely misses interfering with the carb. Cant get my throttle linkage to fully open the carb, but that doesnt bother me too too much. Ive adjusted the angle of the carb as best I could so yeah.

Picture time.

Stock body still, but with my new Pro-Line wheels and tires. Gonna spray paint them black tomorrow prolly.

OS engine on top of my new tires. Its beautiful, it really is.

See, told you. Simply beautiful.

Awaiting break-in Captain!

Tight fit.
    Last edited by KROGOTH; 07-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading your build. Are you still running your Slayer?