RC Qualifier

What motor to replace VXL 3500KV

Well for some reason today my VXL 3500KV motor burnt up today. I bought a DX3R today and now this crap.

Need a replacement motor, what should I get?
    2008 Revo Platinum Edition.

RC Competitor
    We need more info, like what batteries, gearing?
    Slash w/MM 5700kv, 3s Lipo and many other goodies.

RC Qualifier
    Well as far as gearing i dont know. I am running a mix of 2s and 3s lipos.

I had 18/90 gearing before. I am thinking this is why the motor burnt up to start with. I ran it today. Started with my 2s pack. ran that to LVC and switched to my 3s pack. Ran that to LVC and went in for a couple of hours. When i was running the 3s everything was normal no weird noises or anything. Well I went back out with the 2s pack and was taking a few runs up and down our parking lot. I was not driving very hard either. I made 2 full speed passes but was only on the throttle at WOT for maybe 2 seconds each time. After about 3 minutes it started to lose power and the rear tires started to want to lock up. brought it in and the motor was not hot. Pulled the cover spur and pinion were fine. Pulled the spur off and the motor has roughness to it and was trying to bind up. Took the motor off and ran it with no load very slowly and it was making a bad grinding sound. It ended up locking up completely because i could not get it apart to find out what the deal was. The very last screw that holds the plate on the motor decided to strip out.

I was thinking about getting the castle 5700 motor. I still plan to run 3s so not sure if you can with the 5700. I dont want to spend a great deal on a motor and i hate to have to buy a complete VXL combo just for the motor. I bought a DX3R today and then the motor died.

RC Qualifier
    OK just went over to CC and was looking at the 5700. Its only 99 bucks. I know people run them in the slash. So if i wanted to run the 5700 on 3s and 32P gears what should i gear too?

Also will this motor bolt right up?

Also will the VXL ESC handle the 5700 motor?

Ok doing some research i hear the VXL has more torque than the castle 5700. I am also seeing from reading that the 5700 runs hot in the slash.

Is my assumption correct that running the VXL with 18/90 gearing on 3s is that i probably overreved the motor and that killed it?

If so then maybe i can just get another VXL motor and gear it properly? Like I said im gonna switch to 32P gears but dont know which ratio will be best. I know i dont want to burn another motor up.
    Last edited by liftedcj7on44s; 06-24-2009 at 12:41 AM.

I am a huge fan of the 5700, that is all I run in my Rusty. That being said if I was your for a Slash that you want to run on 3s I would stick with the 3500 VXL motor or a 4600 Castle motor. The VXL motor has a ton of torque that the longer wheel base of the Slash over the Rusty can better handle. The 5700 in a Slash on 3s is going to need some low gearing to avoid heat issues. For use with 3s the 4600 would be a better choice. You know you can buy the VXL motor separately, you dont have to buy a complete system.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Well that depends on my LHS. If they carry just the motor then i will buy it tomorrow.

But my other question i would like some insight on.
    on 3s with the VXL on 18/90 gearing is this what caused the motor to lock up?
    I figured i must have overrevved it or something.

RC Champion
    18/90 is a bit high, but I would assume that it wouldn't just die straight off, it would have to be either a bad bearing or cracked rotor, or maybe you sent it past it's acceptable temp level and lost magnetism in the rotor. In any case, the 5700 is doable in a Slash, I ran mine geared 16/90 for the time I had it in, could bash for 45 minutes before I had to go in and charge a battery. Then the motor would get to 145 or so.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky8333
    18/90 is a bit high, but I would assume that it wouldn't just die straight off, it would have to be either a bad bearing or cracked rotor, or maybe you sent it past it's acceptable temp level and lost magnetism in the rotor. In any case, the 5700 is doable in a Slash, I ran mine geared 16/90 for the time I had it in, could bash for 45 minutes before I had to go in and charge a battery. Then the motor would get to 145 or so.

If you ran a 5700 geared 16/90 on 3s in a Slash with no temp problems how is 18/90 on a 3500kv motor geared high?

My guess would be you simply had a bearing failure or possibley a cracked rotor. By the way both the rotor and bearings/rebuild kit are available from Traxxas. If you can get that screw out and provided the can and windings are ok you can rebuild your VXL motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I'm just going from experience. Not any of the mathematical crap involved. I know a guy at a local off road track that would thermal with his Slash geared 19/90 after about 30 minutes. In the meantime I was still racing. I'm sure the math says something different, I'm just speaking my experiences...

As for 3s? Who said 3s? I only had 1 3s pack in my time, and it has been sold for 3 months now.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Racer
    EzRun 13.5T 3300kv
    Slash 4x4 PE
    Summit

I'm just going from experience. Not any of the mathematical crap involved. I know a guy at a local off road track that would thermal with his Slash geared 19/90 after about 30 minutes. In the meantime I was still racing. I'm sure the math says something different, I'm just speaking my experiences...

As for 3s? Who said 3s? I only had 1 3s pack in my time, and it has been sold for 3 months now.
    The original post that we are reply to said he wanted to run on 3s.

When you are talking about gearing you have to take into consideration what motor you are running to give any kind of usable advise. What is too high of a gearing for a 5700 might be fine for a 3500. I run my 5700 geared 18/86 if I was running a 3500 and wanted the same speed I would be using something like 23/86 or 83
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    In what way is a 540 size 13.5T 3300kv less powerfull than a 540 size 10T 3500kv motor?
    Slash 4x4 PE
    Summit

I will agree with alport78. You really get what you pay for. I just ran into my first problem with my Tekin Rs pro. The Hal effect sensor on my motor somehow shorted out my ESC sensor. If I start in sensored mode...ESC just sits dead with all LED dimmed. If I unplug the sensor harness...ESC comes to life and will run in sensorless mode perfectly. BTW, Tekin was very helpful.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Enthusiast
    I've replaced my VXL about two weeks ago. I didn't burn it, but I was getting close to do so. The temps on 3S were VERY high. About 90 degrees (C).

Therefore I've decided to go Medusa way. I can honestly recommend it to you. Temperatures are WAY lower, I'm not getting over 65 degrees (C). If you use the aluminium tranny case, you'll save another 10-15 degrees, maybe more.

I'm running the 3300kV version, very happy with it. The only problem is that the motor was originally designed to be put into an airplane/helicopter. Therefore it has holes in it. Just use duct tape and you're good. ;-)

So far I was driving on 21/86 gearing, top speed about 80+ km/h. Don't need more actually. 2S for bashing is enough.

RC Racer
    alport, I understand that different brands are making different quality items. What I looked for was if you had any more information then the "gutfeeling" on this, any sort of test or benchmark if you will.
    Slash 4x4 PE
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Im going to call the LHS today and see if I can get just the VXL motor. I also need to get some 32P Gears. I would like advice on which gearing to go with for 3s and 32P gears.

RC Racer
    alport: No, I was just interrested to know if you had any information or just your gutfeeling. I have nothing more then my gutfeeling.

However, you must understand that when you say that an EZrun is just a replacement for a stock brushed motor, and can't compete with a Velineon 3500 BL motor, I want to understand why.
    Slash 4x4 PE
    Summit

RC Racer
    Hey CJ7 try a 58t spur with an 11t pinion thats what I run on my VXL and its fine so far, you might need to drop to a 9t if your temps are high.
    ~Slash w/ Sidewinder & VXL Motor
    ~OFNA GTPII

RC Competitor
    Anyway, let's all GPS our cars and name the setup! :-)
    I use a LRP x11 7.5t BL sensored (9 wires) and with a simple 6 cell nimh pack i hit 47.1 in less then 20 meters with 17t pinion and 90t spur.
    After bashing it is just more then handwarm, perhaps 45 celsius or so.

See setup and real measurement by garmin gps here:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....4&postcount=13

Extra weight in that car, the nimh (instead of 2 cell lipo) the lrp esc (taped in) and the original esc, and the gps nuvi 660t.
    All stock for the rest of it.
    Last edited by new2slash; 06-24-2009 at 08:42 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    If you ran a 5700 geared 16/90 on 3s in a Slash with no temp problems how is 18/90 on a 3500kv motor geared high?

My guess would be you simply had a bearing failure or possibley a cracked rotor. By the way both the rotor and bearings/rebuild kit are available from Traxxas. If you can get that screw out and provided the can and windings are ok you can rebuild your VXL motor.
    I was just confused about that.

Anyway, back to subject. Good luck finding a VXL motor, but keep in mind my offer .
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

I was just confused about that.

Anyway, back to subject. Good luck finding a VXL motor, but keep in mind my offer .
    They are not hard to find...

TOWER

EBAY just once of countless others.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    If I ever burn out my ezrun 13t I might try a VLX motor.

RC Champion
    Im not saying they are hard to find. Im just telling him good luck because he had 2 threads, one here and one on RCTech asking around for one. I pm'd him about another motor, if he was interested.

Calm down Dad, sheesh.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

Im not saying they are hard to find. Im just telling him good luck because he had 2 threads, one here and one on RCTech asking around for one. I pm'd him about another motor, if he was interested.

Calm down Dad, sheesh.
    If I was any calmer I would be asleep. I am just trying to help the O/P with some correct information. Dont take offense to it none was intended.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Somewhere above, someone mentioned a Medusa. I will concur as I run a 36-50-2200 on 4s and it's great. Handles overzealous gearing great for speed runs, tons of torque (being a 4 pole slotted design), and stays cool.

I personally would not go with even a CC 4600 in a Slash unless geared very low. Depsite being 50mm long, the coils inside don't "fill up" as much of the can due to the coil wire to noodle wire connections. So, they are more like a "sub-S". Good motors for Pede/Rustler/etc, but a tad too small for a Slash geared for anything higher than 25-30mph IMO.

RC Qualifier
    Ok this thread is now officially got me confused.
    I need a motor we all know that.
    I run a mix of 2s and 3s we all know that.
    Whatever motor i get i want it to be just as fast as the VXL 3500 if not faster.
    I want the motor to last. I run 3s just as much as i run 2s so 3s is a must.

If the VXL is the best motor for me then that is fine. I was geared at 18/90 when the motor locked up. I do not want that to happen again. So I am asking about gearing as well. I like the bottom end torque of the VXL but want a little more top end.

I will switch to 32P gears so i am not 100% sure on which gearing combo to run.

I am sorry if i seem like i dont know what i am doing but that is because i dont. This is my 1st electric R/C and i have never really messed with Gear ratios on my nitro R/C's. So any help would be Greatly appreciated.

I am looking at the Medusa motors and would like to know how the MR-036-050-2200-5 would perform.
    From my understanding the lower the KV means the less RPM but the 2200KV medusa should make more torque than the VXL 3500 Correct? I would be able to gear higher and be able to be faster on take off and top end if the gearing were correct right?

ERRRR Medusa has so many motors im confused again about which one i need. The price is not bad either.
    Last edited by liftedcj7on44s; 06-24-2009 at 05:54 PM.

RC Racer
    With the gears you were running on the vxl at the time, it quitting was probably not due to overheating. You can send that motor back to traxxas and they could possibly replace it due to what they find when they open it up.

Let's compare a 3500 vxl with the 2200 medusa. Running a 7.2volt battery, the vxl will spin at 25,200 rpm. The medusa will spin at 16280 so that is a 35% drop in rpm.

You were running 18/90 with the vxl so to get back to the same speed with the medusa, you're going to have to run 28/58 or 37/76 or some other equivalent.

If you go with the CC4600, you're probably not going to run into heat problems but you will with the 5700 on 3s. I've hit 240 degrees on a 5700 running 18/90 gearing with truggy tires on a slash with just a couple passes on dirt. While the motor didn't lock up on me and I'm still using it by the way, I didn't press my luck with it anymore.
    Life is rough, play hard!

RC Champion
    If you were looking at Medusa, you'd want the 36-50-3300 motor. It will run perfect on 3s and still run good on 2s (just not as fast). If you plan to run 2s most often, I'd go with the 36-50-4800 motor, but is a tad high rpm on 3s.

If you want more torque than a 50mm has (but it has plenty!), you could also go with a Medusa 36-60-3100 for 3s. The added torque from the larger motor will tolerate tall gearing easier. Would be slow on 2s though.

Over time, I've replaced almost all my 50mm CC motors in favor of various medusa 50mm ones (different kv's depening on the voltage I plan to run).