RC Racer

Summit Driveshafts?

Im curious, would it be possible to use the Summit driveshafts on the Slayer? Granted, they are too long, even the shorter front ones (Traxxas Part #5652), but I imagine one could cut them to the proper length?

Reason this occurs to me is because while there are aftermarket replacement front and rear draveshafts from the transmission, there are no aftermarket front and rear Diff-to-wheel driveshafts. Would the Summit Driveshafts be a suitable upgrade, though of course they would require a lil work to get to fit?

Mind you, the part number from the Summit manual lists the rear longer driveshafts as Part #5651, and the shorter front ones as #5652. However those part numbers cannot be found on BuyTraxxxas.com. So if I decide to try this I may have to buy each axle part individually it seems.

If Imageshack will ever stop messing around, I would post the bit from the Summit Exploded Views that contains the part numbers and such for reference.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Actually, there are upgrades/replacements from FLM for the Slayer. I recently installed a set on mine figuring the new Picco 26 and side pipe would be much harder on the originals. I'm still running the factory center shafts which seem to be holding up, but do have plans to upgrade them.

RC Qualifier
    Like Darin said... Go with the FLM CVD's

Here is the link for them!!!

I did twist several of the front center shafts with the Picco... That all atopped when I went to a set of Vantage CVD's..

RC Racer
    Oh snap. Thats news to me. FLM is a bit on the pricey side though. Ya learn something new everyday lol. Prior to this I only knew of the MIP center driveshafts.

Still think the Summit CVD's would work, and be cheaper, if a lil more work to fit em.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KROGOTH
    Oh snap. Thats news to me. FLM is a bit on the pricey side though. Ya learn something new everyday lol. Prior to this I only knew of the MIP center driveshafts.

Still think the Summit CVD's would work, and be cheaper, if a lil more work to fit em.
    Cheaper huh, Guess what. Your WRONG.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=5655

x2= $15.38

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWWF6&P=7

x4= $37.56

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=5653

x4=$37.56

for a total of $90.50 before shipping.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    Ive seen full sets of 4 pulled from new kits on ebay for $30.00....so yes IMO they are cheaper than the FLM CVD's....I always check eBay before I buy anything from Tower....

The FLM CVD's are great. I should know, I tested the Proto Types.

As far as your center CVD's any kit for a Revo 2.5 will fit perfectly on the slayer. I'm using the THS Revo 2.5 center CVD's on mine.

Just a little advice for ya, when you get CVD's make sure you take them apart and use Blue Loctite on all the set screws. I learned the hard way with the THS center CVD's and the rear shaft threw a pin and nearly trashed a bulk. I took it apart and fixed it (luckily the pin didn't come completely out) and used blue loctite on the set screws and have never had a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnp
    Ive seen full sets of 4 pulled from new kits on ebay for $30.00....so yes IMO they are cheaper than the FLM CVD's....I always check eBay before I buy anything from Tower....

Well, You got me there. But list for list price the FLM's are the better buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Summit-D...3A1%7C294%3A50

$10 with one bid.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wildosvt
    Well, You got me there. But list for list price the FLM's are the better buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Summit-D...3A1%7C294%3A50

$10 with one bid.

I agree with what you had previously posted... In that case the FLM's are a steal... I dunno maybe I'm cheap but I tend to go to eBay for alot of things, especially stock replacement parts... Maybe thats how I ended up with a stock Slayer for just over $250.00 including the mill....

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^^^ +1
    sig edited for content

RC Qualifier
    I agree with what you had previously posted... In that case the FLM's are a steal... I dunno maybe I'm cheap but I tend to go to eBay for alot of things, especially stock replacement parts... Maybe thats how I ended up with a stock Slayer for just over $250.00 including the mill....

I love ebay too. Now, I wonder if these things are going to work on the Slayer.

It's up to you Krogoth.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    I honestly think it will work.....been looking at the Revo shafts that I have here.....The Summit shafts are just a tad longer that the Revo's I believe....everything looks like they will fit....they are a tad bigger in diameter but I dont believe that will cause any problems....I dont think it would be as involved of a mod as say Jato shafts in a N Rusty... JMO.....

Krogoth, if you attempt this please post some pics and some things you encountered in the mod....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by wildosvt
    Cheaper huh, Guess what. Your WRONG.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=5655

x2= $15.38

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWWF6&P=7

x4= $37.56

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=5653

x4=$37.56

for a total of $90.50 before shipping.
    Burn! lol. Im allowed to be wrong but yeah. Ebay is a great thing. Anyhow, I may try it, it wont happen soon, Im low on funds at the moment. If I can find somewhere to buy just the front Summit CVDs, I will try it next paycheck.

Anyhow, being in Iraq, I wouldnt use the FLM CVDs just yet. Nice things have a way of becoming not so nice out here.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Kro, Your idea is a great one. Thinking outside of the box is always fun and interesting.

Also, Thank's for not looking at it as a total flame post. I put the wink guy in there for a reason. U Take care.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Racer
    Flame me all ya want. lol Im in Iraq and bored, so yeah. Already bid on a set on Ebay. Might buy a second set in case I mess up the first. We shall see how things go once the parts get out here.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC poster
    Anyone got a link to who sells these FLM CVDs? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbody
    Anyone got a link to who sells these FLM CVDs? Thanks.
    Post #3 contains a link to the FLM CVD's

RC poster
    Post #3 contains a link to the FLM CVD's
    Cool. I missed that. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Flame me all ya want. lol Im in Iraq and bored, so yeah. Already bid on a set on Ebay. Might buy a second set in case I mess up the first. We shall see how things go once the parts get out here.
    You are planning on a picture filled tutorial aren't ya?
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Racer
    Alrighty, looking good on some bids for the driveshafts. Anyways, been looking at the pics and trying to judge the size of the drive shafts, and looking at the current ones on my Slayer and wondering if they will fit without binding.

If they are as big as I think they are, it will be a tight fit. Anyone own a Summit that can take some picks so i can get a reference for how big/thick they are?
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Alrighty, looking good on some bids for the driveshafts. Anyways, been looking at the pics and trying to judge the size of the drive shafts, and looking at the current ones on my Slayer and wondering if they will fit without binding.

If they are as big as I think they are, it will be a tight fit. Anyone own a Summit that can take some picks so i can get a reference for how big/thick they are?

I looked at them when you first posted this topic, And the size has had me wondering as well. But sometimes we need a crashtest dummy. I am fine with the stocker's for now. Or else I would be the one being the test dummy on here. The design of the CVD appear's much bigger that's for sure.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    This may help.

Built Ford tuff!

RC Racer
    Won the auction last night. Saved myself $60. As soon as I clear up a shipping issue with the seller, I will have my makeshift CVD's on the way.

From the looks of it, as long as I can trim them the right length the ends look like they will fit just fine. In pictures not next to other items to give scale, the driveshafts appeared like they would be huge. Greatly appreciate the picture.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Im interested to see how they work out for ya.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    Yep I am interested as well.
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More