RC Qualifier

Simple question about ride height..

Hey guys,
    I just built an e-slayer from a revo.. (this is the best forum to ask my question)
    I did my research and i've grabbed all the proper replacement parts by comparing the exploded views and such.. but im having one issue im hoping to get some help on (mainly cuz im new to revos & slayers_

My ride height is redonculously high and im wondering how i can lower it? There doesnt seem to be much adjustments in that area of the truck.. i can adjust toe-in and chamber but not really the ride height.

I have red shock springs with a white tab on them.. they don't seem to stiff.. the shock spacing ring is all the way back so im not putting any space on them.. the link arm that goes from the shocks mount to the wheels is the right part number so that's not it i dont think (its also not adjustable as far as i can tell)

The only difference is that I have progressive 1 rocker shock arms (the grey triangle things) and the exploded view says standard is progressive 2.. but are they really so different in size/shape they would lower the body by a full inch or so?

any help would be great! it looks more like a buggie then a slayer how it is now.

thanks!

Pics of my current setup (as you can see its clearly too high)

How id like to adjust it
    Last edited by Telnets; 07-05-2009 at 01:19 AM.

The P2's may lower it some. Also do you have your pre load rings all the way unscrewed? You might get it a little lower that way.

Mine has never set as low as the last pic, even with my P3 rockers. To me the last pic is too low. Yes it would be fine for a track with no jumps but to me if you set it like that last pic, I would imagine you would be bottoming out on the skid plates an awful lot.

Also to me it seems when it sits that low half of the suspension travel is gone.

RC Qualifier
    I was told to put fuel line under my shock pistons to lower mine and it worked until it split and i had to take them apart again. I've asked steve slayden on his tread how he does it, but no answer. If you can figure out a way to do it let me know.
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    The P2's may lower it some. Also do you have your pre load rings all the way unscrewed? You might get it a little lower that way.
    I agree, the P2's will lower your ride height a good bit, and looking at the pics of your truck, it doesn't look like the spring pre-load is dialed all the way out. Also, I would check the ride height once you have an all-up weight on the suspension, i.e. batts, receiver, s.c. etc. and work from there.

BTW, nice looking conversion.

Rob

RC Qualifier
    Im thinking it may be the springs. The white is a 2.9 rate and stock Slayer's are 1.8 front and 2.0 rear. That in itself would increase the ride height as the sring doesnt compress as easily......

RC Qualifier
    The shock rings are all the way back, so i cant do anything there. I will pick up some p2 rockers today and see if that helps, as well as maybe new sprigs as per shawnp's suggestion. Im just using what came with the revo right now.

The idea of putting a spacer in the piston is a good one, ill see about that if the other 2 suggestions dont lower it a bit..

Thanks guys!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    The shock rings are all the way back, so i cant do anything there. I will pick up some p2 rockers today and see if that helps, as well as maybe new sprigs as per shawnp's suggestion. Im just using what came with the revo right now.

The idea of putting a spacer in the piston is a good one, ill see about that if the other 2 suggestions dont lower it a bit..

Thanks guys!

While you are at it pick up a set of the P3 rockers.......they are only like 8 bucks and they will drop your ride height a little more than the P2's. I run the P3's on my truck just for the purpose of dropping the height. I'll try to get some pics up to show the ride height.
    It's only money right?........

If you get P3's don't forget to get the pushrod spacers or the suspension geometry will not be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sicsam
    I was told to put fuel line under my shock pistons to lower mine and it worked until it split and i had to take them apart again. I've asked steve slayden on his tread how he does it, but no answer. If you can figure out a way to do it let me know.
    Some stuff those guys do they like to keep secret. I know when we are racing carts we never talk about what kind of setup we are running with other drivers, and if they ask we give them false numbers unless we are good friends with them then we talk setup for real.

I would imagine he's probably running either the fuel tubing trick or maybe plastic spacers instead of fuel tubing.

RC Racer
    Personally, I dont mind a lil ride height. I understand that, especially with the slayer, a lower CoG is better, but on the track I run, I need the suspension travel for landing jumps.

Im running P2 rockers and Slaydens setup on the shocks.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Well i grabbed the p2 rockers, and I was able to push back the spacer rings a little further on the shocks (only by a few turns).. but it seemed to help a bunch. Its not flat like the pic which is good, but its certainly not nearly as high as it was so i think its probably about where im going to want it.. now.. to just wait for the steering servo to come in and paint me up a body!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the delay. I'm definitely not keeping any secrets. My stuff is for all to see.

Check out my Slayer setup article. It's got my Slayer setup in it.

RC Enthusiast
    Has any body ever cut the springs to lower the ride height?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaydaddy
    Sorry for the delay. I'm definitely not keeping any secrets. My stuff is for all to see.

Check out my Slayer setup article. It's got my Slayer setup in it.
    You never said how to lower it though.
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnp
    Im thinking it may be the springs. The white is a 2.9 rate and stock Slayer's are 1.8 front and 2.0 rear. That in itself would increase the ride height as the sring doesnt compress as easily......
    Shawnp makes a great point. With the shorter suspension arms the Slayer will need lower rate springs than the Revo. Try the 1.8 or 2.0 rate springs and you should be in the ballpark.
    Original Maxx with RPM wide arms, big bore shocks and 2.5R, Revo with P2's and stock Jato