Thread: Need some help

RC poster

Need some help

well where should i begin. i have built a slash that was designed to take one heck of a beatin. i built a roll cage out of 3/16th steel rod which will be changing in the future due to how much weight that has been added. i run a vxl with a 3s 5000 venom battery. i run the truck for maybe 10 mins and it stops running. i check the voltage.. it says 12.0 volts on a 11.1 battery how can this be. i also notice that the engine is really hot. what could i do to adjust this. i am running a stock setup as far as gear settings. 18/86 what should i change to. also im blowing pinion gears like crazy can any one suggest a setting for the slipper clutch. i was running a half a turn out and i am tired of having to keep changing the pinion gear. i know this is a lot of problems at once. i think the majority of it is caused by the weight of the cage but is there any suggestions you guys can offer.

RC Enthusiast
    the added weight is probly most of the problem. I would try a little lower gearing and see what happens. ive never ran any 3 cells with my vxl just 7 cell nihm and i run 21 pinion which works out well but mabe with that much more voltage you shoud go even lower than 18. ru actualy breaking pinions or are do they look like a saw blade?
    I would go through alot of pinions until i started checking the gear mesh alot and using lock tight on my motor screws because the gears were get to loose and it would wear the pinion untill it stripped the spur.

RC poster
    the pinion is getting worn down extremely quick i use robinson racing pinions on a hardend steel spur gear. i dont know if its the spacing or the slipper clutch thats causing the extreme wear. ill try the smaller pinions but ill also be removing weight too.

RC Qualifier
    You are right about the cage being too heavy. Take it off for now and those other problems might be cured.
    Free all none violent drug offenders!

RC poster
    yeah i know i am going to be making a new cage this weekend i used a rod instead of a tube and plate metal as the base... its a beast but it can withstand a lot

RC Enthusiast
    hmm steel spurs? i just use the normal ones and i dont have much problems as long as they are meshed right. can you tell if the pinion is moving away from the spur? try and gett the motor screws tighter and use lock tight is my only advice because that is what worked for me. i used to strip spurs every run but i think because you have that high strength spur that your pinion is the weak link

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrofka
    i check the voltage.. it says 12.0 volts on a 11.1 battery how can this be.
    LiPo batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.7V/per cell but fully charged they hold 4.2V/per cell making a 3s LiPo 12.6V fully charged.
    Pure Rustler Fury

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrofka
    the pinion is getting worn down extremely quick i use Robinson racing pinions
    The Robinson Racing pinions may very well be the problem.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rugruner
    The Robinson Racing pinions may very well be the problem.
    why do you say that i thought they were the best out there