RC Qualifier

Steering Problems!!!!!!

I have had my slayer for about 2 months and now I can't keep the slayer in a straight line for all its worth! I adjust the trim back and forth and it will either go a little left or right! I know I don't have the pillow balls to tight, there clean and snug! I don't know if its the steering servo or how the wheels deal with caster, camber, toe, track width, roll centers, bump steer or what, but here are some pictures of how the wheels look:

I might just buy that cheap 2.4 ghz tower hobbies radio and a hitec high torque steering servo, is this my only options to fix this? Thanks for your guys help!!!!!!
    Last edited by yamahaboy02; 07-10-2009 at 01:59 AM.
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

They look pretty straight. Does it do this while under throttle? If so look more into your rear toe setting. The rear should be toed in to keep the truck straight while under throttle. The front should be straight toe (no toe in or out) which helps keep the truck straight while braking. On the front you can go with just a touch of toe out but not a whole lot. I usually just eyeball the front straight and then eyeball the rear toe in to where the LR and RR look equal. I've tried using tape measures and the RPM toe gauge but when you get it where they read perfect, they always look off to your naked eye so that's why I just eyeball them.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 07-10-2009 at 02:13 AM.

RC Racer
    You look good. I cant imagine what the problem would be. Dunno about the new radio, but the high torque servo would be a good idea anyhow.

...if and when I buy new buggy tires, I may try out those knock-off badlands. I think Im gonna get ahold of some SC8 tires soon though if I can.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Racer
    Man, I feel your pain. I was having a terrible time keeping my Slayer going straight. Then, after all of the effort to keep it straight while I was on throttle; I would hit the brakes and the truck would veer off and traction roll! I was having the same issue with the trim knob. I would adjust the trim to the right to help correct the problem and nothing would happen. I would adjust it again and again with no real noticeable change in direction. Then, it would go from veering to the left to shooting to the right. I would adjust the knob to the left a little and poof, it would shoot left again. I was getting ready to pull my hair out.

I eventually ended up having to fine tune the front toe links. The left side was only off a few millimeters, but that was enough steering input to the wheel to cause it to veer one way. My truck still has a little pull but is waaaaay better than it used to be.

I can't believe that you are still using the stock servos! Mine, and everyone else's burned out a short time after opening the box that the truck came in. lol
    It's only money right?........

RC Enthusiast
    Just by reading what your problems are and how it looks I think your truck sits WAY to high. Look at your drive shaft angles and how they are waaaay out of line.. Your driveshafts should be parralel to the ground.

The reason you can't keep it in a straight line is becuse your taking the front suspension out. The weight is transfered all the way to the back and your essentially "floating" the front end.

Look at the pictures in Slaydens pit set up and look at the angles of the drive shaft and the push rods.

I think if you lowered the front of your tuck you would be a lot happier and get a lot better steering responce. He even says at the end " a ride height too high will induce traction roll and hinder response"..

My .02
    SoCAL-RC

RC Qualifier
    So how do you keep the front end down while on throttle? Do I just need to do Slayden's Pit Setup or what? I have the stock front springs in right now with no tension and the back are stock to with about 3/16" of tension on them!
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

No matter what you do the front is always going to lighten up on acceleration. Like I said most likely your problem is in the rear toe.